Levo Gen 3 Fox 36 Rhythm swap

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
My turbo levo was spec’d with a fox 36 rhythm, and I have a pike Ultimate 2022 model which is a sweet ride, at 35 mm. (E-Bike compliant)
Thinking of swapping it over to the levo, and wondering if I will regret it. Anyone else tried that?

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
I don't know your weight and riding style, but...
If it's a direct fit, why not give it a try. You go for a ride on familiar trails and choose the one that feels better to you.
Ya, thought about that, don't have a bearing puller, shop charge, down time, etc. May be worth it. Just don't want to damage the dog gone thing. (slacker ht angle, +- 20 lbs heavier E-bike) Cost a coin to begin with and does a bang up job on my HT.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a '21 Pike Ultimate on my '22 Trek Rail. I fitted the C1 Debonair Air Spring upgrade to increase the travel from 150mm to 160mm for the Rail (was previously on my '21 Fuel EX), and to improve travel. Really nice fork.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Ya, thought about that, don't have a bearing puller, shop charge, down time, etc. May be worth it. Just don't want to damage the dog gone thing. (slacker ht angle, +- 20 lbs heavier E-bike) Cost a coin to begin with and does a bang up job on my HT.

Why would you need a bearing puller? Fork swap should be a very easy at home job. I wouldn't worry about damaging it at all, unless you are absolutely enormous.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
Why would you need a bearing puller? Fork swap should be a very easy at home job. I wouldn't worry about damaging it at all, unless you are absolutely enormous.
The bottom steerer tube bearing on my SC Chameleon is a pressfit. I know I could use a screwdriver, but I’m not gonna go that route.
I’m about 93 kg so not enormous. I’m pretty sure you’re right about not damaging the fork.
I swapped out the original Recon that was spec’d on the bike, and put this new Pike on there, so I’m familiar with the job. My LBS had the bearing swapped out in five minutes.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
I think it have split crown race, so switch is easy.
Yeah the split crown ra
I have a '21 Pike Ultimate on my '22 Trek Rail. I fitted the C1 Debonair Air Spring upgrade to increase the travel from 150mm to 160mm for the Rail (was previously on my '21 Fuel EX), and to improve travel. Really nice fork.

OK, cool that’s what I’m gonna do with this one. It was originally at 140, I bumped it to 150, and now when I put it on the levo I’m gonna make it a 160 with another new debonair spring.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
The bottom steerer tube bearing on my SC Chameleon is a pressfit. I know I could use a screwdriver, but I’m not gonna go that route.
I’m about 93 kg so not enormous. I’m pretty sure you’re right about not damaging the fork.
I swapped out the original Recon that was spec’d on the bike, and put this new Pike on there, so I’m familiar with the job. My LBS had the bearing swapped out in five minutes.
I'm really confused. Why would you need to remove the headset? Just take one fork out and replace the other. They will have the same diameter steerer. The only thing you'll need to swap is crown race, but that can be easily removed with a screwdriver. If it's not split just split it with a saw and install on new fork. Jobs done. Unless I have totally misunderstood, in which case I am sorry!

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
I'm really confused. Why would you need to remove the headset? Just take one fork out and replace the other. They will have the same diameter steerer. The only thing you'll need to swap is crown race, but that can be easily removed with a screwdriver. If it's not split just split it with a saw and install on new fork. Jobs done. Unless I have totally misunderstood, in which case I am sorry!
The Pike is currently on my Santa Cruz Chameleon Hardtail which weighs about 32 pounds. My original concern was the Turbo Levo at close to 50 pounds and a slightly slacker HTA would over stress this thing due to the extra weight. My LBS is 10 minutes down the road, so I think I’ll just let them take my crown race off to replace it with the race on the fox rhythm which was Spec’d for the levo. Sorry for the confusion

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeah the split crown ra

OK, cool that’s what I’m gonna do with this one. It was originally at 140, I bumped it to 150, and now when I put it on the levo I’m gonna make it a 160 with another new debonair spring.

I'm 80kg so perhaps 83kg ready to ride. When I installed the new C1 160mm air spring I was surprised to find that to get about 30% sag I only had to put in about 60psi - prior to installing the new air spring I needed about 85psi!

I even called TF Tuned (who I bought the Pike from) to check and they said they weren't surprised.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
I'm 80kg so perhaps 83kg ready to ride. When I installed the new C1 160mm air spring I was surprised to find that to get about 30% sag I only had to put in about 60psi - prior to installing the new air spring I needed about 85psi!

I even called TF Tuned (who I bought the Pike from) to check and they said they weren't surprised.
I was gonna mention that too. I originally had about 90+- psi, for 27+- sag,in the original 140 (before changing the spring) now down to 60 as well, to get 27%. That's with the 150 conversion. 'nother thing... I contacted Sram support about the Maxima plus fluids they recommend. The guy said he tried them after being a skeptic like I (was). Let me tell you, 5mm of the heavy in positive side, 10mm lite in the negative side, and the stiction went way down. Really made a difference IMO

kimochi

Feb 16, 2021
California
The Pike is currently on my Santa Cruz Chameleon Hardtail which weighs about 32 pounds. My original concern was the Turbo Levo at close to 50 pounds and a slightly slacker HTA would over stress this thing due to the extra weight. My LBS is 10 minutes down the road, so I think I’ll just let them take my crown race off to replace it with the race on the fox rhythm which was Spec’d for the levo. Sorry for the confusion
You mean overstress the pike? Don’t worry about it man those forks are overbuilt.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ya, That’s what I’m thinking

No problem, see below. For my Pike Ultimate serial number Rockshox says "E-BIKE APPROVED".

Pike Ultimate specification.jpg

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Bottom race with a screwdriver no problem. Just use a small flat blade and a plastic hammer. Lightly tape all the way around until you get a edge.

I didn't care much for the Rhythm. I bought a Fox 38 because I didn't have a nice Rock Shox lying around. That fork will rock that bike.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
Bottom race with a screwdriver no problem. Just use a small flat blade and a plastic hammer. Lightly tape all the way around until you get a edge.

I didn't care much for the Rhythm. I bought a Fox 38 because I didn't have a nice Rock Shox lying around. That fork will rock that bike.
I’m gonna check it out tomorrow. Can always switch back if it feels too loose. Not much downhill in this area . Thanks for the input.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I have to confess I never rode with the Rhythm 36. My SL came with a Rhythm 34. I put some time on the 34. I didn't like the small bump compliance on the Rhythm. That's something that Rock Shox excels at. That's something you want coming into those fast sweepers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles