EW-EN100 (Junction A)

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
Hi there, thanks for all the info above. Really helpful :)

I’m trying to use EW-EN100 to replace the E8000 display and shift switch. I removed the DU cable from the display and inserted it into the EW-EN100, but am struggling to get it to work.

I’m not getting any leds illuminating on start up, Etube IOS and Steps Unlocker can see it, but it will not accept the Bluetooth passcode ‘000000’. I had changed the Bluetooth passcode on the E8000 display but that code should not be relevant, but I checked and that doesn’t work either. I tapped remove device from phone and re paired, which I think should reset the passcode, but still no luck.

Do I need to connect using SM-PCE02 and the PC software and configure with the drive unit? I’m going to borrow a laptop and try this next.

Any ideas appreciated!
Cheers

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hi there, thanks for all the info above. Really helpful :)

I’m trying to use EW-EN100 to replace the E8000 display and shift switch. I removed the DU cable from the display and inserted it into the EW-EN100, but am struggling to get it to work.

I’m not getting any leds illuminating on start up, Etube IOS and Steps Unlocker can see it, but it will not accept the Bluetooth passcode ‘000000’. I had changed the Bluetooth passcode on the E8000 display but that code should not be relevant, but I checked and that doesn’t work either. I tapped remove device from phone and re paired, which I think should reset the passcode, but still no luck.

Do I need to connect using SM-PCE02 and the PC software and configure with the drive unit? I’m going to borrow a laptop and try this next.

Any ideas appreciated!
Cheers
I think you do need to have a certain firmware or newer for the en100 to work. That's be the first thing I'd do. Personally when I need to connect to BT I just plug in the e8000 controller which I kept, and then switch back after.

Gordon

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I have installed ew-en100 with Steps e8000 motor and using Garmin Edge 830. All works fine. But how do you clear Distance? Thanks in advance.

When I start an activity on my Garmin Edge then the distance always starts from 0 for me? Is that what you mean?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
if I use a EW-EN100 can I remove the e7000 display from the bike?
does Garmin Edge 520 plus then connect to the EW-EN100 via bluetooth or would it connect to the motor via ANT ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes you can remove the display

Not sure on your second point as, but mine connects via bluetooth to my Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music watch

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Does anyone know how to get a Garmin 1030+ to revert back to its own wheel sensor for speed readings instead of the one in the E8000?
New bike yesterday and I fitted the EW-EN100, removed the 7000 display. Obviously I now use the E8000 as a “Sensor” in the Garmin so that I get battery/assist level but this then uses the E8000 for speed and cadence too but I would like to use the Garmin wheel sensor for speed.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Is the EN100 small enough to go inside the handle bars? I have di2 carbon bars. (Or do you need it functionally when installed)

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Is the EN100 small enough to go inside the handle bars? I have di2 carbon bars. (Or do you need it functionally when installed)
Are you referring to the Santa Cruz Di2 bars?
If so, I tried that but it wouldn’t go past the inlet hole (on the left hand side anyway)
Ended up simply plugging it in where the 7000 was but attaching it to the dropper post cable.

CA0D7CC6-538D-4B4D-A35D-7BDD08CE825C.jpeg

1029039E-6B05-476F-93C6-149FEBEB8CC4.jpeg

baffobaffone

Nov 7, 2018
Vicenza (Italy)
Does anyone know how to get a Garmin 1030+ to revert back to its own wheel sensor for speed readings instead of the one in the E8000?
New bike yesterday and I fitted the EW-EN100, removed the 7000 display. Obviously I now use the E8000 as a “Sensor” in the Garmin so that I get battery/assist level but this then uses the E8000 for speed and cadence too but I would like to use the Garmin wheel sensor for speed.
I don't think it's possible, I have the same problem.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Are you referring to the Santa Cruz Di2 bars?
If so, I tried that but it wouldn’t go past the inlet hole (on the left hand side anyway)
Ended up simply plugging it in where the 7000 was but attaching it to the dropper post cable.

View attachment 42205

View attachment 42206
I have AXS dropper and shifter so trying to hide the en100 but it will likely be put on the rear brake hose in a similar position to you

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would say you want to keep it visable, because if you go for a ride without any device connected its you only way of telling battery life/mode/power.

With the EN you can also get rid of the mode controller if you want, and use it to change mode, or you phone, via the E-Tube Ride app.

I know one person who has done this and hidden it in the down tube, so you have nothing at all on the handlebars

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
I would say you want to keep it visable, because if you go for a ride without any device connected its you only way of telling battery life/mode/power.

With the EN you can also get rid of the mode controller if you want, and use it to change mode, or you phone, via the E-Tube Ride app.

I know one person who has done this and hidden it in the down tube, so you have nothing at all on the handlebars
Yep.....I just wanted the Garmin as the display and not that silly display on the handlebars.

When all the other stuff is done I will tacle it again and hide it in the top of down tube.

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Im going to keep the mode switcher and use a Garmin for the display info. I will put the en100 in the down tube.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I keppe the EN100 visible because it's much easier to see what mode you're in compared to trying to read my Garmin screen. The cable is taped to my rear brake cable so pretty neat.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Have you tried making a custom display screen and using that instead of the default STEps screen. Maybe you can pick and choose your sensors there. I use a custom screen but don't have a Garmin speed sensor to test with because I have set an accurate wheel size with ST Unlocker.

Gordon

beluga

Oct 22, 2020
NYC
Hi. I have a STEPS SC-E6010 display on my bike, which unfortunately lacks wireless. Super annoyed the bike didn't come with am E6100...

Anyway, does anyone know if adding an EW-EN100 would help me out here? A similar wireless device seems to be the EW-WU111 but it's for some reason more $ than the EN100.

Thanks!

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Have you tried making a custom display screen and using that instead of the default STEps screen. Maybe you can pick and choose your sensors there. I use a custom screen but don't have a Garmin speed sensor to test with because I have set an accurate wheel size with ST Unlocker.

Gordon
Yes. It didn’t work.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Hi. I have a STEPS SC-E6010 display on my bike, which unfortunately lacks wireless. Super annoyed the bike didn't come with am E6100...

Anyway, does anyone know if adding an EW-EN100 would help me out here? A similar wireless device seems to be the EW-WU111 but it's for some reason more $ than the EN100.

Thanks!
The wu111 is only for Di2 I believe. I see no reason why the EN100 wouldn’t work sided by side if your display has no way of conflicting with it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You haven't said which motor
I have mine attached to the gear outer just infront of the cable port on the downtube. This means the lights are obscured by my bars. I find the lights annoyingly bright (especially at night) but if I want to see mode or battery/warning light I just have to move my head slightly to see below the bar.
I find the New Orbea's EW100 location really ugly and somehow makes it look massive in the pics/vids.

Yes. It didn’t work.
With the Garmin 530,830
Garmin's wireless speed and cadence sensors will override the speed/cadence data transmitted by the motor if fitted to your bike.
You will require them if you're running a derestricted set-up otherwise your garmin will log your rides as half the true distances/speeds

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

Thanks!

I think this is the latest compatibility table: https://productinfo.shimano.com/download/pdf/com/2.6/en

I don't think any of the options allow for a display to be used alongside a EW-EN100 (one or the other, i.e. one option from each connected box):

1603467579985.png

1603467609821.png

beluga

Oct 22, 2020
NYC

beluga

Oct 22, 2020
NYC
The wu111 is only for Di2 I believe. I see no reason why the EN100 wouldn’t work sided by side if your display has no way of conflicting with it.

I didn't expect a conflict but googling brought be to this thread here which has some comments indicating the units cannot be used in parallel. I wished I could try this out without commitment :-<

beluga

Oct 22, 2020
NYC
in that case you can ditch your display entirely and instead use the EW100 junction box with or without a bar mounted STEPs mode shifter switch.

Well, the actual idea is not to ditch the display. An E6100 display instead of my E6010 would be ideal but my budget is maxed out. I am basically looking for the most affordable way to add wireless to my setup to be able to use the etube app, update firmware, adjust settings etc...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... So I guess it's not an Emtb you have if it came with an E8000 motor but a city bike display?

If buying new EN-EW100 is your cheapest option at £60 and will do all you want. Once you've updated software and set your assistance preferences etc you could then just sell it on.
I don't update my software at all anymore (over a year since updating) and never change settings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles