Emax iOS app available

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I understand the Android app version allows a low cost ability to get a licence key to change speed and wheel circumference. Will this ability come out in the IOS app version?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I understand the Android app version allows a low cost ability to get a licence key to change speed and wheel circumference. Will this ability come out in the IOS app version?

The license price for STEPSunlocker app (Android/Windows only) is just $33 USD (30 Euro) to unlock all of the functions, vs. the eMaxMobile app license of $133 USD (109 Euro).

I actually switched to the STEPSunlocker app for now, $33 USD much more reasonable considering they both do basically the same thing but the STEPSunlocker can actually downgrade motor firmware over Bluetooth to unlock more features.

EDIT/UPDATE: STEPSunlocker now available for iOS as well.

Last edited:

Cinnamon

Mar 2, 2018
Somewhere
EMAX: our newest version of iOS smartphone app eMaxMobileApp which is capable to modify also the latest motor firmware 4.7.0 is ready for download in Apple´s AppStore.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
@Pipo have a question, can I temporarily attach an e8000 display to an e7000 display equipped bike to modify the settings then swap back to the e7000 display and the adjustments remain in place?

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
I confirm, E-Tube for PC now allows you to set 3 ECO levels which are the same as the values below:

ECO:
- Low 20% 30Nm 500W
- Medium 40% 30Nm 500W
- High 60% 30Nm 500W

TRAIL:
- Low 70% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 90% 70Nm 500W
- High 110% 70Nm 500W

BOOST:
- Low 150% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 200% 70Nm 500W
- High 300% 70Nm 500W

It is however possible to update E-Tube to the 3.4.3 version which is the last with ECO settable and use it in all its functions without having to update the firmware version of the motor to 4.7.0.
Personally verified using the latest version of E-Tube with motor firmware 4.3.2 and 4.6.1

question if I change 500W to let say 250W wil this be positive effective on my battery range?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
question if I change 500W to let say 250W wil this be positive effective on my battery range?

In ECO and BOOST it should, because you're limiting maximum output to 500w. But TRAIL mode is dynamic, so consider TRAIL mode the exception

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Let's try this again, I'll try to explain it a different way. I''m going to change some words to hopefully make it easier to understand:

Starting with firmware 4.6.1, in the E-Tube software the default PROFILE is "Dynamic". In the Dynamic Profile, the assist settings are:

ECO MODE = 60% assist, maximum 30Nm torque
TRAIL MODE = 70% assist, maximum 70Nm torque
BOOST MODE = 300% assist, maximum 70Nm torque

Basically this means:
In ECO MODE (60%/30Nm), when you spin the crank, the STEPS motor will match your power output + add 60% assist. No matter how slow or fast you pedal, ECO MODE will ALWAYS give you 60% assist (no more, no less), but it will NOT produce any more than 30Nm of motor torque.

In BOOST MODE (300%/70Nm), when you spin the crank, the STEPS motor will match your power output + add 300% assist. No matter how slow or fast you pedal, BOOST MODE will ALWAYS give you 300% assist, and it will ALWAYS produce 70Nm of motor torque.

Now we move to TRAIL MODE (70%/70Nm). The simple explanation is: in TRAIL MODE (pre-4.6.1) when you spin the crank, the STEPS motor will match your power output + add 70% assist, up to 70Nm of motor torque.

However, with the 4.6.1 firmware update, there's more to TRAIL MODE as opposed to ECO and BOOST. Shimano refers to TRAIL MODE as an "intuitive pedal assist"; so although TRAIL MODE starts at 70%/70Nm, the actual pedal assist output is variable depending on the actual force you put into the pedals. So in their own words, "Pedal harder in Trail mode and your get stronger motor assist. So when you are really torquing it on something short & steep, the E8000 will match your efforts up to its max 70Nm output."

In other words, in TRAIL MODE the software is using the input torque (how hard you push on the pedal) to constantly adjust ("self-adjustment") how much motor assist - whereas in ECO and BOOST MODE are basically just preset values that always stay where they are set at.

So when used as intended, you can call ECO MODE "limited mode" in that it will limit motor assist to limit battery drain; you can call BOOST MODE "maximum mode" in that it will give you the maximum assist and torque at all times; finally, as suggested by Shimano - TRAIL MODE is the "all-around mode" in that you should be in TRAIL MODE the majority of the time you are riding your e-bike.

This is how the Shimano rep explained it to me, hopefully that is easier to understand with regards to how the STEPS system works, especially with 4.6.1.

Okay, what if I set trail to 30% 30NM and 250W, then I will get more out of the battery. And set Eco to 70% 70 NM and 500W.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Okay, what if I set trail to 30% 30NM and 250W, then I will get more out of the battery. And set Eco to 70% 70 NM and 500W.

What if you try it and you'll see if you get more out of the battery?

Just changing settings won't automatically add more/less battery time. Actual battery time depends on more factors than just what you set the assist/maximum torque to, example:

- assist percentage
- max. torque value
- rider weight
- bike weight
- tire pressure
- elevation of route
- surface type of route
- gear ratio being used
- effort level
- external temperature

Also again - you mentioned modifying TRAIL mode, TRAIL mode is dynamic so it doesn't stick to what you set it at - it just starts there as a reference point.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Thanks Raine for your time. I ride almost every sunday a trip of 40-42 km with 400m climbing. Almost everything in eco. Battery is half full/empty. I just wanne get to 100km with one battery.
It's a challenge.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Thanks Raine for your time. I ride almost every sunday a trip of 40-42 km with 400m climbing. Almost everything in eco. Battery is half full/empty. I just wanne get to 100km with one battery.
It's a challenge.

BTW if you want to adjust maximum power, you'll need to purchase a license... last I checked eMax Mobile app license is pretty steep at around $133 USD.

As much as like the eMax Mobile App, I've switched to the STEPS Unlocker app because they only charge about $33 USD for a license and it gives the same features.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
BTW if you want to adjust maximum power, you'll need to purchase a license... last I checked eMax Mobile app license is pretty steep at around $133 USD.

As much as like the eMax Mobile App, I've switched to the STEPS Unlocker app because they only charge about $33 USD for a license and it gives the same features.

I use the eplus tutor app.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
The license price for STEPSunlocker app (Android/Windows only) is just $33 USD (30 Euro) to unlock all of the functions, vs. the eMaxMobile app license of $133 USD (109 Euro).

I actually switched to the STEPSunlocker app for now, $33 USD much more reasonable considering they both do basically the same thing but the STEPSunlocker can actually downgrade motor firmware over Bluetooth to unlock more features.

I cant find this app on the app store, is that the correct app name? cheers

I want to download my firmware from 4.7.* without paying €133 to do so if possible

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England

Ok so I downloaded the app and bought the license but how do you downgrade the firmware? I sent an email to the developer asking if it’s possible and how to do it who immediately replied with “no” :( That’s all I wanted the app for

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Uh... Did you even bother reading the info on the STUnlocker app before buying the license?

You need downgraded firmware and E-Tube to downgrade firmware. STUnlocker then allows you to take advantage of the derestriction.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Uh... Did you even bother reading the info on the STUnlocker app before buying the license?

You need downgraded firmware and E-Tube to downgrade firmware. STUnlocker then allows you to take advantage of the derestriction.
No lol. So can the standard e-tune app downgrade without a PCE1 interface?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles