Emax iOS app available

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
The mobile version of emax-Freemax has been released yesterday. It's only for iOS, for now (the Android version is coming later this year).
No PC/interface needed :)
Search "emaxmobileapp" in the app store and then you can find it.
It costs 1.09€ and without the license you can modify all assistance levels including Eco

eMax - english

I haven't tried it, I'm waiting for the Android version. But there are reports in other forums that say it works fine.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Worked on mine. without a licence , connect, you need to bring back the bike information, once this has loaded you can change the power settings.
Just need it to stop raining and I can go and test it.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Works a treat. Very happy with it as I have criticised lack of tune ability in eco mode from day one.

Can you purchase a license so as to correct wheel circumference and adjust speed limit from the app also?

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
Did it connect and you requested the app to get the bike information?
It won't to anything till you do that.

66E72EFE-6864-4365-9BEA-799A04FFE126.png

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Great post, used this app on Friday to reduce eco mode assist on much focus Sam², it has helped enormously and did a much longer ride yesterday on one battery and still had 2 bars left. Ride was 37km and 820m climb. Before I have got 27km max on the battery as best range. Often use adding TEC pack for more range, didn’t need it yesterday
Set eco to 25-30 and it stills gives benefit over a normal bike on the hills but More of a workout than the factory’s eco setting

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Does anyone understand the difference or effect that adjusting either the "assist ratio" or the "max Torque" have of the assistance felt on the ride, hope that makes sense

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I had a little play around with adjusting the assist ratio in Trail mode and keeping the max torque the same.

When I increased the assist ratio so that I required less force on the pedals to get the same torque, I found I was losing control of the bike in tight singletrack and on cornering....so the bike felt like it was getting away from me and it became a lot twitchier, which mean't I was braking more to compensate...

So I ended up going back to the default setting! Great to be able to tune the bike in this way though!

DrChris

Does anyone understand the difference or effect that adjusting either the "assist ratio" or the "max Torque" have of the assistance felt on the ride, hope that makes sense

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Played with this app over the weekend at a local bike park, and it's very useful - even for those who want to fine tune the assist modes (like me), and aren't just looking for yet another way to de-restrict or force the motor to go beyond what was intended (not me).

For those who always wondered exactly what levels of assist each mode gives you (not just "low"/"med"/"high" you get in the E-Tube app) it comes down to the following:

Dynamic Mode
ECO 60% assist, maximum 30Nm torque​
TRAIL 70% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
BOOST 300% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​

Explorer Mode
ECO 60% assist, maximum 30Nm torque​
TRAIL 90% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
BOOST 200% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
Custom Mode
If you use Custom Mode the "low"/"med"/"high" options are as follows:

ECO:
No changes allowed, limited to 60% assist, maximum 30Nm torque​
TRAIL:
Low = 70% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
Med = 90% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
High = 110% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
BOOST:
Low = 150% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
Med = 200% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
High = 300% assist, maximum 70Nm torque​
With the app you can change all of the above numbers; right now my bike feels pretty good using the following settings:

ECO = 80% @ 70Nm
TRAIL =160% @ 70Nm
BOOST = 240% @ 70Nm

With my setup above, the transition between ECO to TRAIL to BOOST is more linear. I'm not forcing the system to go beyond the normal limits, and my battery drain/mileage has actually improved.

Note: if you upload your own custom settings in the eMax app, you leave it as is; if you later connect and make support level changes in the E-Tube app, the numbers will all default back to the standard Shimano support levels I listed above.

Hope this info helps others who are using this app.
EDIT: See post #33 in this thread for a visual chart of the above information.

"Assist Ratio" is how much assist the motor adds when you pedal.
"Max Torque" is the maximum amount of torque the motor will add when you pedal.

In ECO and BOOST modes, what you enter for "Assist Ratio" multiplied by what you enter in "Max Torque" is always the amount of assist you will get when you pedal.

In TRAIL mode, what you enter for "Assist Ratio" is how much assist you can get when pedalling (remember, TRAIL mode is dynamic); however the amount of torque the motor will produce will be limited to what you enter in "Max Torque".

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
How does this dynamic trail mode work, did some googling last week but got no answers

It explains it on the Shimano STEPS E-8000 website:

Trail mode enhancements
The STEPS MTB firmware includes an intuitive enhancement to the Trail mode. Its assist level automatically adjusts according to pedal pressure. The harder you pedal, the stronger the pedal-assist will support you.

Basically, the drive unit quickly and seamlessly self-adjusts to match your riding style. It can range from low support if you’re on technically demanding terrain to a max torque of 70Nm to help glide you up the steepest of mountain passes.

As the support level is automatically adjusted for you, there is no need to change between levels set on the Trail mode. This allows you to fully concentrate on the trails ahead, knowing you’ll have complete support and optimal control on the bike.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I dont't think there is any other difference than different default mappings on assist and torque levels. You can easily test it by changing ECO and TRAIL to same settings and try if you feel any difference.

Have you tried it? I actually have, and there is a difference.

As an experiment I set ECO, TRAIL, and BOOST all to 300% assist / 70Nm torque. ECO and BOOST would give me the full 300% as soon as I starting turning the crank. But in TRAIL the amount of assist was relative to how hard I was pushing on the cranks.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
Have you tried it? I actually have, and there is a difference.
Just for interest, I tried it now and I can not feel any difference (all settings set to same 300% assist/70Nm torque). Maybe you have different firmware version (I have 4.6.1) in your shimano or your "ass-dyno" is just more sensitive than mine :)

The STEPS MTB firmware includes an intuitive enhancement to the Trail mode. Its assist level automatically adjusts according to pedal pressure. The harder you pedal, the stronger the pedal-assist will support you.

I still believe that above statement is simply coming from default Tail mode settings. In Trail mode, the harder you pedal more torque the engine gives according to the assist level and max. torque setting(which is 70Nm by default). In Eco mode, the torque is limited to 30Nm. After that has been reached, it does not matter how much user increases power, the engine assist level stays at 30Nm. And in the Boost mode, the engine gives max assistance with very low user input. So the Trail mode is "dynamically" following the user input.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just for interest, I tried it now and I can not feel any difference (all settings set to same 300% assist/70Nm torque). Maybe you have different firmware version (I have 4.6.1) in your shimano or your "ass-dyno" is just more sensitive than mine :)

Maybe your ass-dyno is too numb LOL j/k

I'm on 4.6.1 also, and we actually did an experiment with a bike stand, digital bike scale, and a couple of cords to visually see (in actual numbers) the way torque is applied by the Shimano drive unit. It wasn't an ass-dyno assumption or a wild guess.

It's simple - with the current firmware, ECO and BOOST do not "self-adjust" like TRAIL does.

I still believe that above statement is simply coming from default Tail mode settings. In Trail mode, the harder you pedal more torque the engine gives according to the assist level and max. torque setting(which is 70Nm by default). In Eco mode, the torque is limited to 30Nm. After that has been reached, it does not matter how much user increases power, the engine assist level stays at 30Nm. And in the Boost mode, the engine gives max assistance with very low user input. So the Trail mode is "dynamically" following the user input.

...uh, yeah since it's the exact description from Shimano on their website.

A Shimano rep at a local e-bike demo last month told me that TRAIL is designed and meant to be the mode most people should be using 9*% of the time because of this dynamic adjustment; basically set and forget. The last 2% is if the user has to use ECO for battery conservation or BOOST for when the user needs full power during a difficult climb.

So anyways back on topic - this app works great, IMO. The best part of the app is that you don't need to spend an extra $150+ for the Shimano PC interface. I just wish the license to unlock the rest of the features was a little lower, maybe around the $50 USD mark.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles