Covid 19 worries !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
After the big Flu cull does anyone think there’ll be a huge influx of second hand ebikes onto the market ? I hope not as that will mean £££ will drop ! Seriously though it’s starting to get abit worrying, any thoughts !! Be safe ?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After a leap in case numbers from 0-13 on Monday and then a death yesterday of some poor old bloke, they've introduced restrictions in our department (County) to try to reduce the spread.

Basically any group activities or gatherings have been banned. Horse lessons, Competitions, open days, sporting gatherings - basically, anything which involves people meeting together. Cinemas and Theatres are closed and so on. Interestingly they haven't closed restaurants, bars , cafe's yet and from what we saw yesterday everyone was carrying on as normal for their lunches - but it's much more common here to stop for lunch and sit down but work later, rather than scoff your sarnies.

I think France as a whole has been advised to temporarily stop our usual kissing and handshaking when meeting.

Your average e-biker is probably fitter than your average sofa surfer, so potentially, less at risk.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I think people over here are more worried about the financial rather than the medical impact on this Flu . More people are self employed than ever and don’t get paid when not in work and alot of these delivery drivers will have to pay fines if can’t work ! Worrying times ahead !

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Personally I'm not worried about death by Corvid-19 because that's unlikely.

What concerns me is the shut-down and disruption. I've already ordered extra UHT milk because if my town is locked-down for two weeks, i refuse to be at home drinking black coffee.

Don't underestimate the disruption to normal life even if 'only' moderate outbreak. Last year we had 3 days of bad snow, and you couldn't buy milk or bread in the shops around here! A few hundred people in your region unable to work for 2 weeks will disrupt all sorts of services and businesses.

Of course my biggest fear is bike related. Would a broad lock down of movement/gathering (which has been stated to be an option) affect riding? Are we going to have another foot and mouth summer where we are banned from riding?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Personally I'm not worried about death by Corvid-19 because that's unlikely.

What concerns me is the shut-down and disruption. I've already ordered extra UHT milk because if my town is locked-down for two weeks, i refuse to be at home drinking black coffee.

Don't underestimate the disruption to normal life even if 'only' moderate outbreak. Last year we had 3 days of bad snow, and you couldn't buy milk or bread in the shops around here! A few hundred people in your region unable to work for 2 weeks will disrupt all sorts of services and businesses.

Of course my biggest fear is bike related. Would a broad lock down of movement/gathering (which has been stated to be an option) affect riding? Are we going to have another foot and mouth summer where we are banned from riding?

coffee is better black.

agree not so concerned about the disease, more about the social consequences.

could very well be the start of some significant changes, or might just blow over, no idea.

source I believe is a livestock market in China, making me glad I don't eat meat. not that that will save me.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Typically though you'll get all the usual selfish people stocking up on items leaving shelves bare, meanwhile people without the spare cash can't get their essential items :rolleyes:

Agree about the coffee though, once you've had black... :giggle:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its the knock on effect on peoples work etc that is my big worry - I work in high end construction, and we are already seeing problems with materials such as marble coming out of Italy, and I can only see more problems on supply chains over the next few weeks.

On a personal level its hard to see the wheat through the chaf in terms of how bad it could get, I have clients based all over the world with a fair few from the Far East, and they are pretty much on lockdown, with meetings now having to be done over Skype etc.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
My company, in the Netherlands, has shut down all international travel that is not strictly necessary. Then again at my University they are advising to wash hands......nothing more than do not travel to Wuhan...duh. Although that might be a saver option a.t.m. now that I am thinking about it.

Advice work from home if possible. It is not about us/me, but more about protecting the weak members of our society. Hopefully we will not tsunami the healthcare system....

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I work at an airport and am doing many visits to hospitals, both are the main doors for the virus, so it will not be long until we meet...

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I was on the phone to Sky this morning, sorting out a Sky Q upgrade.
It's almost 2 months until they can install it. The reason - they are in short supply of the boxes, and they are made in China. Delays with staffing issues, and then they have to be quarantined when they come into the UK.

I'm supposed to be going to Dubai on holiday in about 4 weeks... but am starting to think my chances of getting are unlikely. Although they probably won't have Coronavirus over there (it can't survive above about 30°C?), having to go through airports and sit on a plane may be a real issue.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Half term holidays ski trip to France (bordering Italy) is on hold. No point booking it if we're going to be on lockdown.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hope the logs are kiln dried or the fumes will get you !

I saw that they were banning selling green wood.. not sure why anywhere would sell small bags of green wood ? If you're buying a small bag of wood, it's because you want to burn it then, not season it for three years. madness :)

Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It is of course worrying if you are in one of the high risk group, but isn't it the same as "ordinary flu" in that respect. I'm 68 and have a long history of lung problems; I've had Bronchitis, I have a scar on my lung from pneumonia and whenever I actually do get a cold or flu it's always horrible. So I guess I'm in a high risk group. The death rate from Covid-19 appears to be less than the usual winter flu, so why not just let it rip? The impact of quarantine seems to be far worse than the impact of those that actually get it being off sick.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The death rate is currently around 2 or 3% depending on who you believe, whereas normal flu is 0.1% so it's quite a bit higher.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@stiv674 Thanks for that. I was misinformed. Following your post I looked up death rates from flu and it varies between 0.1% and 0.13%. That was in the USA during 2018.
OK, I take it back, don't let it rip. it seems that Covid-19 is 20 times worse.
OOPS! :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The death rate from Covid-19 appears to be less than the usual winter flu, so why not just let it rip?

The death rate compared to the entire population is, at present, lower. But the death rate of those who become infected is significantly higher. Most people who get normal flu don't even report it. Fortunately, compared to the whole population, only a tiny tiny percentage actually have it so far.

The statistics on likelihood of death aren't really very accurate either yet, just because x% of chinese people died, doesn't mean it will affect people in other countries the same way. As it is though, I believe people with asthma and similar are at much higher risk - upto 20% and as you get older the risk is higher. Under 25 and you'll probably be ok. Over 50 and you're becoming much more of a statistic, over 60 and you're in double digits and so on. Women are pretty tough, so they fair better than men. They probably nag it from their systems. :)

I think we really need to worry when the statistics say you're more likely to die than have your spesh motor pack up on you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles