Maxle worries? Or Nah?

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
Got a Cube bike with a Rockshox 35 fork. The front Maxle stealth I have in at the moment is fairly jammed in there. It does come out but it feels like it's on its last legs. It doesn't come out or go in easy, takes considerable force but wheel spins free. Is there a risk of full failure with this? Or am I OK to ride until I next need the wheel off?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I've had maxles seize before, needing a trip to the mechanic, drilling out & a bill at the end of it... For twenty quid, I'd just replace it & crack on riding worry free.

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
I've had maxles seize before, needing a trip to the mechanic, drilling out & a bill at the end of it... For twenty quid, I'd just replace it & crack on riding worry free.
Thanks, I may just replace it now. Without removing it, any way to tell what size maxle I need for a Cube Stereo hybrid 140 hpc race 2020?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The maxle should have its specs stamped on the shaft but if not, the rockshox trailhead website will detail the exact specs of the fork. I'd expect it to be boost at 15mm x 110mm which is common but check before parting with money. If all else fails, ask Cube or your LBS. Tenner says it's 15x110 though.

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
Are any of the cheap knock off versions fit for purpose? I wanted a quick release version this time but can't stretch to the maxle at the moment 😪

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
fairly jammed in there.

it feels like it's on its last legs.
takes considerable force but wheel spins free.

The wheel does not spin upon the Maxle. The Maxle is just a big bolt that holds the wheel onto he bike. If the wheel does not spin freely, the Maxle is not the first thing I would suspect. Since it is "jammed in there," and "feels like it's on it's last legs," in addition to the wheel not spinning properly, I suspect there are a multitude of problems that would be best addressed by a real bike mechanic.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You are correct. Nevertheless, if the Maxle is "jammed in there" and "feels like it's on its last legs," then Bob might benefit from a little professional assistance.

In the future, the Maxle should have a thin film of grease applied to the surface before assembly. Even better would be a bit of anti-seize applied to the threads.

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
You are correct. Nevertheless, if the Maxle is "jammed in there" and "feels like it's on its last legs," then Bob might benefit from a little professional assistance.

In the future, the Maxle should have a thin film of grease applied to the surface before assembly. Even better would be a bit of anti-seize applied to the threads.
Fortunately I found a bit of spare cash I didn't know I had yesterday so took the bike to lbs and treated it to a new quick release!

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I had a Maxle seize in on my fat bike (RS Bluto forks). It was removed fairly often and always regreased but it still seized in. It was the quick release type which made it worse to get out as I couldn't use any proper tools on it (just my hands a rubber mallet and brute force). I got it out but it damaged the shoulder parts that the quick release lever locates into. I replaced it with a stealth Maxle and made sure I removed and regreased it even more frequently. It's been fine since.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I suspect the main reason for a Maxle to become difficult to remove is that it has become bent very slightly, although it is possible for it to become damaged if not kept well greased. One reason for the maxle to become slightly bent is not applying sufficient torque and I think more likely with forks that use torque spacers (e.g. Rockshox) and/or forks where one fork lower is slightly out of line. Most rear through axles need 15 nm torque and front about 10nm. Lever type thru axles need to leave an inprint on your hand as you close the lever as an example of how much torque is needed. Note, you will never get the correct torque if the accepting threads it screws into are dirty and not greased.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles