Chain Life

NTrav

Jan 29, 2021
SoCal
Thanks for the replies everyone...appreciate the feedback. I decided to order the OEM KMC chain. If the new chain slips, I'll run the old one 'til it breaks/slips and then replace both the chain and cassette together. I'll post an update when I install the new chain.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
It does seem to vary. Mine is a 2019 Levo Comp. I used 2 chains on the original cassette for a total of 1200 miles. Second chain was still working perfectly but when I changed to a 3rd chain I got a lot of chain slippage. So I have now bought a new cassette as well.
So the thing is, my second chain on the original cassette could well have done a few more hundred miles. I could of just put the old chain back on but one of the reasons to change it was that it had got into a really filthy state on a disaster of a mud ride!
My first chain was at 0.75 before I changed it.
So my view is, starting from a new cassette and chain it is worth running that to 0.75 and ( at least in my experience) a new chain will still run fine on the original cassette. Then run that combo until it no longer works properly..............then change chain and cassette.
Changing chains at 0.5 is likely to be the more expensive way to do things I reckon.
I think I would have just cleaned the second chain instead of replacing it. How about this strategy? Start with a new chain and run it until 0.5 stretch, then replace with a new chain and run until 0.75 stretch, and then replace with first chain and run it until 0.75, and then replace everything?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think I would have just cleaned the second chain instead of replacing it. How about this strategy? Start with a new chain and run it until 0.5 stretch, then replace with a new chain and run until 0.75 stretch, and then replace with first chain and run it until 0.75, and then replace everything?
I'm planning on that, although the second chain will also be run to 0.5. Then fit the 1st chain and run to 0.75, then fit the 2nd chain for the second time! Well, that's the plan!

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm planning on that, although the second chain will also be run to 0.5. Then fit the 1st chain and run to 0.75, then fit the 2nd chain for the second time! Well, that's the plan!
Thats right and then just keep swapping the chains around until don't work properly anymore.
My chain was off the scale worn but so is everything else so it all worked perfectly ?

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
thats what im trying now

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug

... and
Why change the second chain before it gets to 0.75? It just looks like an unnecessary change to me? Assuming you all start with Chain 1 of course ... in fact why not just run to 0.75 on Chain 1 every time ? Am I being thick again?

BTW -- given most advice for e-bikes appears to be change at 0.5 , the saving of 1 chain in 3 over the aggregate lifetime just doesn't seem worth the potential damage to cassette , chainring and jockey wheels to me, such is the joy of "Meaning of Life" questions !

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you run 1st chain to 0,75 you will most probably not be able to put 2nd (new) chain on unless you replace the cassette too ...

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If you run 1st chain to 0,75 you will most probably not be able to put 2nd (new) chain on unless you replace the cassette too ...
I agreed, the point of using two chains is precisely that they are changed at regular intervals. This way they wear at the same rate as the cassette or not damage the cassette. I'm changing every 400-500 km

Last edited:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I agreed, the point of using two chains is precisely that they are changed at regular intervals. This way they wear at the same rate as the cassette. I'm changing every 400-500 km
Im no expert ( obviously) but I can see no reason why cassette (nor chainring) wear would be a linear function of chain wear as opposed to total usage. I shall now shut up -- each to their own!

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Im no expert ( obviously) but I can see no reason why cassette (nor chainring) wear would be a linear function of chain wear as opposed to total usage. I shall now shut up -- each to their own!
i guess another example could be trying to undo a new screw head with a worn screw driver the more worn both parts the least likely the get the thing un done?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
1350km on the SRAM NX Eagle chain and looking like 1600-1800 will be time to change.
Have a 36 chainring so might throw that on shortly with a new chain and keep the current chain in a bag with the original chain ring.
Surprised at how well it is holding up, but that may be because I am swapping wheelsets regularly and it is not all on 1 set of small sprockets. Bigger chainring should have me using maybe 2 rings bigger on the rear than usual so extending cluster life as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
... and
Why change the second chain before it gets to 0.75? It just looks like an unnecessary change to me? Assuming you all start with Chain 1 of course ... in fact why not just run to 0.75 on Chain 1 every time ? Am I being thick again?

BTW -- given most advice for e-bikes appears to be change at 0.5 , the saving of 1 chain in 3 over the aggregate lifetime just doesn't seem worth the potential damage to cassette , chainring and jockey wheels to me, such is the joy of "Meaning of Life" questions !
AS the chain wears, it wears the gear teeth faster and faster. Conventional advice (probably derived from road bikes) was that 1% wear and the chain was scrap, and probably everything else it had touched. This led to recommending change at 0.75%. I am even more conservative than that, except when the cassette is on what I consider to be on its last legs. There must be loads of stuff on YouTube about the benefits of changing chains at lower and lower % wear and then using old chains again in a leap frog manner. The idea being that because low wear chains cause low wear on the gears, then keep using low-wear chains! But wear does happen, and we know that chains and gears do wear into each other, let them all grow old together. Poor shifting is avoided by avoiding putting together new with old.

But it's one thing to talk about it, it's another to actually do it! You have to keep a careful eye on your chain wear, and the usual chain gauge is not ideal for that.

NTrav

Jan 29, 2021
SoCal
Thanks for the replies everyone...appreciate the feedback. I decided to order the OEM KMC chain. If the new chain slips, I'll run the old one 'til it breaks/slips and then replace both the chain and cassette together. I'll post an update when I install the new chain.

I installed the new KMC ebike chain today and took it out for a good test run; 20 mi w/3,400' climbing. Happy to report no slippage in any gear. Total mileage on the original KMC chain was approx. 1,810 miles without issue. As I mentioned on my original post, chain wear was between .5 and .75

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
My 2021 has Shimano 12 sp. I bought replacement cogs 10-12-14-16-18 (cost about 2€ each), so I can replace the worn cogs if needed together with a chain replacement.
The bigger cogs are used rather occasionally since long steep climbs aren’t really ’available’ where I live :sneaky:

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
SO ..... i dont have an ultrasonic wash currently, what are people washing and soaking their "spare " part worn chains in prior to re fitting ?

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I'm currently running 2 chains and swapping between them regularly so they both wear evenly. I'm hoping the 36T on the front will slow the wear down somewhat by spreading it across the cassette a bit more.

Gathering quite a collection of part worn parts now :rolleyes:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
SO ..... i dont have an ultrasonic wash currently, what are people washing and soaking their "spare " part worn chains in prior to re fitting ?
1612934806946.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My chain went pop at the weekend, randomly happened when out for a gentle ride with my young children and the drivetrain under no sort of stress on a local path. Got about 1000 miles out of it, I am pretty fanatical about clean degrease lube etc after every ride.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
My chain went pop at the weekend, randomly happened when out for a gentle ride with my young children and the drivetrain under no sort of stress on a local path. Got about 1000 miles out of it, I am pretty fanatical about clean degrease lube etc after every ride.
i think im 400 miles into my first chain, ive swapped it over for a new one now but the plan is to change them every few hundred miles,. ill let you know what milage i manage before the inevitable, randomly i have just ordered a pack of power links from ebay for my backpack

Reactions: jxj

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thought I’d share my experience with the new KMC ebike specific chain, ah don’t bother.

Stock KMC that came with my 18 Levo Expert lasted 408kms no breaks just shown as .75 worn and replaced. KMC ebike specific chain shows worn out .75 at 299kms. Both chains were cleaned and lubed every ride if anything the ebike chain had more care and attention. Next up , bought the SRAM PC XX1 let’s see how long this one lasts. The cassette still looks good.
How did the xx1 compare. I found one in shed just presume it will work ok . Before I go and by a different one.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
How did the xx1 compare. I found one in shed just presume it will work ok . Before I go and by a different one.

It’s the best I’ve found so far, I buy two at a time and change and clean after every ride that way I get maximum life out of the cassettes.

Reactions: jxj

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Wore my stock chain (SLX 12s) on the Levo to 0.5%* at 371 miles (597 km).

What I'm going to try this time is to put in a new chain (XT 12s) with intention to wear to 0.5% as well, and intention to do it again with yet another new chain. Once all three chains are worn to 0.5%, the first chain will be put back to wear to 0.75%... and the other two will follow. At that point either the small cogs or the cassette should be toast.

* As measured on a Pedro's Chain Checker Plus II

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Thanks in advance for keeping the discussion alive. I have read portions of it when I first joined the group but I am only now taking a deeper dive into the content.

I have had my 2020 Turbo Comp for 16 months now. I ride mostly dry loamy trails that are rocky and root covered from time to time. Not overly dusty and I have ridden in very little mud. I also ride in the winter in with temperatures varying from 0 to -20C. I only clean my chain, chainring, and cassette when they look overly dirty. I only lube occasionally as the chain normally looks pretty good. I have had some hard shifts that concern me about the chain holding up to failure. I took my bike in to the dealer to look at the chain and perform the first free service, that is supposed to be done after 200 hours of riding. The odometer showed 2108 km. The bike shop tech used a gauge similar to the one I recently bought, a Toopre CR01. He said the chain was worn out. His gauge indicated 1% wear, and he said I will need to replace the SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t cassette. As well as the chain of course. (KMC X11ET, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™).

They ordered the a new cassette, and sold me a new SRAM PC X1 11 Speed Chain, 118 links for $41 CAD. When I got home, I used my new chain gauge. What is odd, it indicates less than 0.5% wear! Hmm.

I always use 3M teflon lube on my chains. I have used this lube on all my bikes for over 20 years. I have never replaced a chain.

SO, can you understand that I am having problems understanding what I have been reading? I am guessing that those who clean and lube their chains after every ride are doing so after bathing their drive trains in muddy water, mud or sand. Am I wrong to think that riding in conditions that do not cover your chain in crud will permit the chain to last much longer than what I am reading here? I think I can get another 500 km or more wear on the links based on chain wear, (Stretch). There are chunky bits taken off the sides of the links, but the rollers are still good. IMHO.

I will attach photos of my chain, my chain gauge on the chain and the depth of the wear indicator.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

tempImageR0jZs1.png

tempImageBuk2W9.png

tempImageaswNmo.png

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I ride on very dusty trails. My chain, frame, sprockets, wheels, everything is coated in tan dust after one ride. If I don't wipe off and relube the chain after every ride, the drive train makes squeaky noises on the next ride. I used to use Triflow, but now I've found that Muc-Off dry lube attracts less dust. I can still see some silver on the chain after a ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles