As Strava hates e-bikes....

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I like Komoot too, and use it for planning & plotting rides and then transfer the created gpx file to my Garmin device on the bike for simple directions in case we miss a turning for a track or trail

I use Strava as more of a social media platform for saving photos & activities, kind of like a photo album of weekend warrior adventures with a map & gps patterns

You can download gpx files from Strava too from other people’s activities if you see one you like the look of, and then transfer that to the Garmin

Alternatively you could just not have any apps or tracking devices and just simply ride the bike ?

Thats just how ive been using komoot.

Been looking at other peoples rides online, be it komoot, strava, view ranger or some random mtb trails website, grabbing the gpx file and importing it. Getting a great library of potential rides. :giggle:

I enjoy being able to use an app for gadding about on me bike, be it following a route, recording a route or both but i certainly divent take it all that seriously. No beating times or any of that m'larky but i do try to beat my personal distances covered mixed with finding the next best trail. Ive not yet even nailed a battery so im def not trying hard enough!! :p

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thats just how ive been using komoot.

Been looking at other peoples rides online, be it komoot, strava, view ranger or some random mtb trails website, grabbing the gpx file and importing it. Getting a great library of potential rides. :giggle:

I enjoy being able to use an app for gadding about on me bike, be it following a route, recording a route or both but i certainly divent take it all that seriously. No beating times or any of that m'larky but i do try to beat my personal distances covered mixed with finding the next best trail. Ive not yet even nailed a battery so im def not trying hard enough!! :p

Yeah I like my gadgets too, especially Garmin. The watch technology is amazing, and just gets better each and every year

I’ve been caught out a few times following peoples gpx routes across the moors. A lot of tracks are made by animals so change over the years and get wiped out by heather . Someone might record a nice route in the summer, and then you come to follow it years later in the winter and it completely disappears and you find yourself stranded in the middle of heather covered moors, which isn’t an easy surface to navigate, especially if you lose your gps signal due to thick fog etc

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Yeah I like my gadgets too, especially Garmin. The watch technology is amazing, and just gets better each and every year

I’ve been caught out a few times following peoples gpx routes across the moors. A lot of tracks are made by animals so change over the years and get wiped out by heather . Someone might record a nice route in the summer, and then you come to follow it years later in the winter and it completely disappears and you find yourself stranded in the middle of heather covered moors, which isn’t an easy surface to navigate, especially if you lose your gps signal due to thick fog etc

Aye, good point re gpx's. Nee good following'em blindly without a bit of planning. Cheers (y) . Not had the chance for getting anywhere as amazing the moors. Its pretty flat where I am which lends itself to gravel bikes and roadies tbh. So cant wait to be able to travel a bit.

Re the watch, it sounds spot on. Ive had a samsung gear s3 for past 3 years. Works really well but I reckon something more dedicated with a better battery life would be the ticket. Is it easy enough to get on with?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Aye, good point re gpx's. Nee good following'em blindly without a bit of planning. Cheers (y) . Not had the chance for getting anywhere as amazing the moors. Its pretty flat where I am which lends itself to gravel bikes and roadies tbh. So cant wait to be able to travel a bit.

Re the watch, it sounds spot on. Ive had a samsung gear s3 for past 3 years. Works really well but I reckon something more dedicated with a better battery life would be the ticket. Is it easy enough to get on with?

You just have to make the most of the area you live in and find some fun lines to shred. The Pilgrim & Cardy YouTube channels have been inspirational during lockdown for urban freeride, sending it down massive stairsets of doom haha

There’s so many Garmin watches available, best looking at the website as they’re a personal choice really. The Fenix range are like Apple watches on steroids, but can cost almost as much as an emtb! I have an Instinct which has a long battery life and does everything I need, in an old school B&W digital style with buttons rather than fancy pants colour smart screen

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
You just have to make the most of the area you live in and find some fun lines to shred. The Pilgrim & Cardy YouTube channels have been inspirational during lockdown for urban freeride, sending it down massive stairsets of doom haha

There’s so many Garmin watches available, best looking at the website as they’re a personal choice really. The Fenix range are like Apple watches on steroids, but can cost almost as much as an emtb! I have an Instinct which has a long battery life and does everything I need, in an old school B&W digital style with buttons rather than fancy pants colour smart screen

Ive just had a look at Garmin watches. some of'em are funny money over £1000. Like eh?? I was surprised at just how many different models they do. Something rugged with good battery life would do me tbh.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I use a wahoo element bolt for navigating. I think they're aimed at roadies, but works well for me. Its securely mounted which was my biggest concern.

Also gives you ride stats as you go which I like (I know that's not to everyone's taste!). I find it also helps me calculate likley battery range by knowing how far I've gone and height claimed etc.

Also uploads to strava etc automatically at the end of each ride, to stay in keeping with the thread

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I use a wahoo element bolt for navigating. I think they're aimed at roadies, but works well for me. Its securely mounted which was my biggest concern.

Also gives you ride stats as you go which I like (I know that's not to everyone's taste!). I find it also helps me calculate likley battery range by knowing how far I've gone and height claimed etc.

Also uploads to strava etc automatically at the end of each ride, to stay in keeping with the thread

Yeah I looked at the Element Bolt’s when choosing a bike GPS and they were indeed tempting but I went for a Garmin Edge 130 Plus in the end as it so small but displays all the info I need when riding, plus it fits neatly to my stem top cap so sits in the perfect position (not great if I crash but it hasn’t broken yet!). I could just strap my watch to the handlebars too, but liked the look of the little Garmin Edge device

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I think my decision may have been helped as I got it half price to make up for some chips on the frame when I got my new bike, but I've been very pleased with it so far.

Lots of options out there though!

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
For Strava, mapping, routing etc - try a small budget phone - I use a Cubot Kingkong mini. Does the job & it's £70 - 90 or so. If you're looking for tracks - try Strava heatmap.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles