Reign E+ 2022

Kyzo

Nov 30, 2021
Elche
Because the systems look for abnormalities. By monitoring speed, cadence, rider input and motor output it doesn't take long to compute that constant peak power outputs whilst 'only' doing 15.5mph doesn't make sense.

You are right in a way, you could be using peak power whilst climbing a hill at 15mph but at some point you gotta come down again (using very little power and usually a high speed) so the two sorta cancel each other out and therefore the bike is happy. It takes time for the bike to average out the data, which is why error codes usually take time to flag up.

The only time you may be using peak power and 15.5mph constantly is if you are say towing something. IIRC this exact scenario came up on this forum where a rider (with a restricted bike) was given a bit of an interrogation by the LBS when he took it for a service as they suspected he had been using a dongle.
I still have some questions but well explained, thanks.I didn't plan to use it 100% of the time, but days when I go mostly to jump, or when I go out alone and I don't want to go slow and boring. hehee For the calculation that you mention, would it matter what mode I go in or would it not matter? I read that on the climbs if the planet3 gave some problem, that's why it has 2 magnets instead of one and reduces x1.5 instead of x3

Kyzo

Nov 30, 2021
Elche
I still have some questions but well explained, thanks.I didn't plan to use it 100% of the time, but days when I go mostly to jump, or when I go out alone and I don't want to go slow and boring. hehee For the calculation that you mention, would it matter what mode I go in or would it not matter? I read that on the climbs if the planet3 gave some problem, that's why it has 2 magnets instead of one and reduces x1.5 instead of x3
I weigh 90kg and I usually trace a friend who rides a muscular bike, both on the road and in the bike park. I have never had any errors if a significant battery consumption. hehee

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Because the systems look for abnormalities. By monitoring speed, cadence, rider input and motor output it doesn't take long to compute that constant peak power outputs whilst 'only' doing 15.5mph doesn't make sense.

You are right in a way, you could be using peak power whilst climbing a hill at 15mph but at some point you gotta come down again (using very little power and usually a high speed) so the two sorta cancel each other out and therefore the bike is happy. It takes time for the bike to average out the data, which is why error codes usually take time to flag up.

The only time you may be using peak power and 15.5mph constantly is if you are say towing something. IIRC this exact scenario came up on this forum where a rider (with a restricted bike) was given a bit of an interrogation by the LBS when he took it for a service as they suspected he had been using a dongle.

Yep. Good explanation. Basically because there is so much data gathered by the motor sensors there are also multiple ways of telling something is off. Bosch is unfortunately the biggest ass here. Not only they fail to detect the best chips (which cheat the averages by adding "virtual" part of the ride at the very end) but they have tons of false positive detection of people using tuning where there was none. I had a long conversation with an owner of a big shop, that people are complaining they have to limp back home because their Bosch motor refused to cooperate because of false positive detection of tuning.

On the side note. I have some (unofficial) info that new Giant motor might not bother it's users with tuning detection. Time will tell if that is true.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Still no records were broken. But... this thing flies :). 380 meters in the air just during hour and a half ride outside my home. Cool stuff.

1649349977375.png

1649349997166.png

Tuning works ;).

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Nice ! Does the Giant Ride control show your actual speed ? Thanks

I am using Garmin. But I checked briefly what the app shows and both show actual speed. NICE :). I know it will sound naughty but the bike came alive just now :D. When I shuttle in the big mountains the whole chip is of course useless. But on the trails closest to my home everything is mostly flat. And now I can do speeds at least sort of close to what we all know from big hills :). MORE NICE :D.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hmmm that is nice but… wouldn’t that enable Giant to see that you have derestricted your ride when you get service ?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hmmm that is nice but… wouldn’t that enable Giant to see that you have derestricted your ride when you get service ?

I did the same with Bosch. The Bosch gen 4 chips do "compensating" in the end. So the average speed and usage visible during service is "normal". I serviced the Bosch gen 4 bike and never did I have any problems. I don't know what kind of shenanigans VOLSpeed does to trick the Giant Yamaha motor though. So going to the Giant service maybe will be the part of the "long term" review :).

But... As far as I know the speed that is registered by the motor is nowhere close to what WE see. The information that goes to Giant Ride control app or Garmin or whatever doesn't come from the motor. There is a Bluetooth unit outside the motor ('ve seen it with mi own eys). So my guestimation is that the motor sees "good" speed and the "real" speed is what's sent further. But I will be more than happy to listen to someone who really knows how it all works has to say.

I will take the risk because I honestly don't care that much. This rare smile on my face is much more important to me :). And I hope that community will profit too :D. BTW. The maker of VOLSpeed told me that they tested the system for more than 1200km now. Works. They are quite popular here in Germany so I decided to add a bit of trust to my calculation if I want to install this thing or not.

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
I did the same with Bosch. The Bosch gen 4 chips do "compensating" in the end. So the average speed and usage visible during service is "normal". I serviced the Bosch gen 4 bike and never did I have any problems. I don't know what kind of shenanigans VOLSpeed does to trick the Giant Yamaha motor though. So going to the Giant service maybe will be the part of the "long term" review :).

But... As far as I know the speed that is registered by the motor is nowhere close to what WE see. The information that goes to Giant Ride control app or Garmin or whatever doesn't come from the motor. There is a Bluetooth unit outside the motor ('ve seen it with mi own eys). So my guestimation is that the motor sees "good" speed and the "real" speed is what's sent further. But I will be more than happy to listen to someone who really knows how it all works has to say.

I will take the risk because I honestly don't care that much. This rare smile on my face is much more important to me :). And I hope that community will profit too :D. BTW. The maker of VOLSpeed told me that they tested the system for more than 1200km now. Works. They are quite popular here in Germany so I decided to add a bit of trust to my calculation if I want to install this thing or not.
Totally agree, just enjoy the ride that’s what it’s there for. Servicing meh…..

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Is that rare smile based on the default speed or did you put it up to max? Thinking of taking the plunge with this, same reasons, lots of flat forest trails here where the limiter is spoiling the fun for me.

All the nitty gritty details here:

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
So after setting up my Reign e+1 exactly how I like it and starting to really build my confidence, I managed to hit a tree and break my shoulder.
I can vouch for the build quality of the bike though, a hell of an impact and the only (bike) damage was a slightly cracked front fender and the bars out of alignment.
A few months out of the saddle now, which I am gutted about, but will be back stronger than before in time for the summer.
In the meantime please continue to post your trail pics so I can see what I am missing.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
So after setting up my Reign e+1 exactly how I like it and starting to really build my confidence, I managed to hit a tree and break my shoulder.
I can vouch for the build quality of the bike though, a hell of an impact and the only (bike) damage was a slightly cracked front fender and the bars out of alignment.
A few months out of the saddle now, which I am gutted about, but will be back stronger than before in time for the summer.
In the meantime please continue to post your trail pics so I can see what I am missing.

This sucks monkey balls.

Suggestion from me. Exercise absolutely everything that the doctors allows you to exercise. Even the affected arm. Muscle atrophy is something that is very hard to overcome. I had more than one serious injury. All the athletes start to exercise the next day after the accident (if it's possible).

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Replaced the ZEB sticker with a foil/chrome finish to match the rear shock sticker. Much better versus the original dark grey stickers that is on almost all ZEBs.

Quality from Slik Graphics is solid.

Also noticed that my motor is making every noise described earlier in this thread and you know what, the bike is still making me smile every ride!

zee3.jpg

Rsdn

Apr 9, 2022
Finland
Very cool and clever design.

I do not have a 3D printer and don’t know anybody owning one.
Would you consider printing me one and ship it to me? Of course I’m gonna pay for it!

Would definitely need one of these as well. I drive a lot around a busy city centre and am a little worried a thief who knows what they're looking for spots my Reign E+2.

I'm however currently using three Z-locks around the downtube's battery section and have a fairly loud alarm with a movement sensor so that should be enough of a deterrence for the few minutes at a time that I have to leave my bike unattended.
That lock mechanism would make the bike look a lot cleaner and make things simpler.

I wish someone could start producing these Reign battery locks and sell them through some global online bike shop.

guile80386

Jan 23, 2022
PT
Did my first ride yesterday and had a blast, this is a game changer. Now I just need to set up the suspension.

View attachment 85735

Nice looking wheels, way to make the yellow Maxxis logo fit in the E+1 colors, IMO!

I ride an E+1 as well and I wasn't thrilled with the performance of the FOX 38 and X2 - felt way too harsh and jumpy for what I was expecting. I did read about excess grease and stuff and not having any tools around I've just decided to wait until I have a chance to go to a shop with official FOX service.

However I stumbled upon some post talking about equalizing the positive and negative chambers and I tried removing all the air, adding a bit of pressure (about 30 PSI, maybe) then trying to fully extend the fork and at first I didn't feel a hard stop when hitting full extension, but after a while it felt like something cleared up and I could definitely tell a solid stop when hitting maximum extension. After that I continued adding pressure and making sure I could feel the hard stop when fully extending the fork. Did the same with the rear shock.

The difference was night and day, honestly. I can use lower pressures to achieve the same sag (105 vs 120 PSI in the fork and 220 vs 250 PSI in the shock) and just using the recommended starting settings for HSR, HSC, LSR and LSC the bike feels so much better - way more supple and plush while at the same time making large roots and rocks almost disappear.

I have little experience and knowledge in this field, but maybe this helps someone. I'm left thinking that maybe the bike shop should have done this so that customers like me, to whom this need to equalize chambers wasn't obvious at all, can still enjoy a super enduro bike like the E+1 at its best.

Last edited:

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
Is anyone having issues with there Code RSC’s?? On their Reign E+0??
Both the front and rear callipers a on my bike aren’t equal. Both pistons on the same side of each calliper are pushing out about half way and the other side hardly any movement at all…

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Is anyone having issues with there Code RSC’s?? On their Reign E+0??
Both the front and rear callipers a on my bike aren’t equal. Both pistons on the same side of each calliper are pushing out about half way and the other side hardly any movement at all…

My brakes were bled poorly by the factory. I re-bled them and now they're golden. In your case the first simplest thing you should do:

- remove the wheels
- remove the disc pads
- clean pistons and calipers with rubbing alcohol
- put some silicone grease on pistons side walls
- push the pistons back to calipers
- clean everything again with rubbing alcohol
- put the wheels back
- recenter the calipers (and never change their placement again!)
- put the disc pads into calipers
- press the brake levers untill the brakes start to work again
- align the brake pads by moving the pistons only (watch YouTube how it's done)
- when everything is golden remove the wheels and pads again and clean the pistons one last time with rubbing alcohol without moving the pistons

If the brakes are spongy bleed them before the above procedure.

If what I wrote won't help the next phase is replacing the rubber piston seals inside the calipers. But I doubt it will be necessary. You've got SRAM so at least it's possible. Shimano calipers are non repairable.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Anyone bought a rubber plug for the hole in the top tube for getting the battery out? Plus my bike is full axs and would like to bring up the hole near the rear shock that cables would normally go through. Any ideas?

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Heads up for those of you who have decided to buy the bike and are postponing it:
Yesterday I paid a deposit for the +2, one of the last bikes available where I live (Greece). Price here is 5,700 euros and my LBS said they were told by the manufacturer that next batch of bikes will be +300 euros costlier !!
Other LBS say the same thing about other brands too, starting next week or the week after that, all bikes will get more expensive, with new official pricelists coming in from factories all over.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Heads up for those of you who have decided to buy the bike and are postponing it:
Yesterday I paid a deposit for the +2, one of the last bikes available where I live (Greece). Price here is 5,700 euros and my LBS said they were told by the manufacturer that next batch of bikes will be +300 euros costlier !!
Other LBS say the same thing about other brands too, starting next week or the week after that, all bikes will get more expensive, with new official pricelists coming in from factories all over.
I also saw on the Canadian site it went up $300 about a couple weeks ago.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles