Zermatt 2020 EWS E Bike racing has arrived.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wouldn’t there be climbing section in mtb enduro as well?
No

due to enduro stages being long and often linking up multiple trails to make the stages long and interesting, there have been many stages that have had either a flat pedaling section or a short climb in the middle.
Some regional mtb Enduro events have included a climb stage.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I think Jose Borges rides for the Miranda Factory Team, which looks to me to ride KTM e-bikes. Which would be a Bosch motor again on third.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Actually even the Orbea on men’s sixth also has a Bosch motor. The Canyon on fourth has a Shimano motor I believe.

I noticed there’s at least the very different Dyname 3.0 motor of a Rocky Mountain on Men’s seventh place.

EDIT: In the final overall results the Canyon/Shimano fell downward, and the Orbea/Bosch got fifth, and the Rocky Mountain/Dyname got sixth place.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The entire top 5 on the climbing stage were on bosch motors
Jerome Gilloux smashed it.
be interesting to see the full results for that stage to get an idea of how much time was lost for each rider in the overall.

Personally think they should dump the climbing stage and make it a stand alone optional "challenge"

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Well, a stock Shimano motor won't stand a chance on stages where boost/assist matters. The early power cutout puts them at a MASSIVE disadvantage to other drive systems.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
3 batteries each? Hmmmmm.... Might this not be more interesting if they limited them to 2, then there would have to be some energy management going on as well? Even so I am kind of with Gary, I think it is difficult to look at this as credible sport unless they can find a way of equalising the impact of the motors (which from this thread sounds like something they don't want to do).

PS - Wonder how long Spec will continue to sponsor this given it appears no-one is on one of their bikes?!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
This

In other words it's not a level playing field between the motors. it's extremely naive on the part of the organisers and because of this the whole thing is a complete farce. Not that it won't be interesting to watch. it just won't be fair competition.
Fitness and pedalling power matters in the normal EWS but power (Wattage & torque) to weight (rider and bike combined) will make even more difference with the introduction of the uphill only stages in EWS-E.
a light fit rider with the highest torque motor will be able to put a chunk of time into heavier riders on motors with less torque.

I wonder if it will evolve near term into a "class boat sailing" or "spec car racing" scheme, where all participants are essentially on the same gear to equalize the playing field. Who knows. As you suggest, it's still early.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
The entire top 5 on the climbing stage were on bosch motors
Jerome Gilloux smashed it.
be interesting to see the full results for that stage to get an idea of how much time was lost for each rider in the overall.

Personally think they should dump the climbing stage and make it a stand alone optional "challenge"

Stage 5, the “Power stage”? No, actually not all Bosch, Levy Batista on the 108Nm Rocky Mountain Dyname motor suddenly jumped to a second place on that stage, overall 17th though.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... Sorry. You're right. I thought he rode for Moustache

Still makes rhe whole thing laughable though

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Id like to see a super tech up/down short track E course. Littered with 200ft climbs and downhills and camera coverage. Any weakness in bike or rider will show up there
Intensity in ten cities

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
Final results are in and it sounds like it was a great race! The climbing stage did indeed look very technical, though I don't know that it factored into the results much. Great to see Vouilloz was racing after all, he gives the new sport alot of credibility. He got 2nd at the first ever EWS race back in 2013 and now 2nd in the first ever EWS e bike race. Look forward to Rob's coverage of the next races!

Overall Results:

Men:

1st. Yannick Pontal: 26:29.22
2nd. Nicolas Vouilloz: 26:37.13
3rd. Jose Borges: 26:58.50
4th. Loris Revelli: 27:19.05
5th. Emanuel Pombo: 27:24.85

Women:

1st. Melanie Pugin: 30:53.04
2nd. Tracy Moseley: 32:11.24
3rd. Nathalie Schneitter: 35:58.91
4th. Alba Wunderlin: 38:10.40
5th. Maaris Meier: 39:27.43

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
They state they won’t police batteries and their capacity and just let technology run its course. With their max 250W continuous and support to 25km/h motor rules, it seems they will only enforce an EU-based “box rule” which I think will make motor manufacturers innovate faster (and the technical playing field won’t necessarily be level).
If the EWS-e every get to the USA, there will be an issue with motor top speed rule (USA 20mph = 32Km/h) and if they let all of the racers run the USA top speed, the riders won't want to go back to the 25km/h:)

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I feel at some point the motor manufactures and EWS will have to create Nm class motors, such as 60Nm, 80Nm, 100Nm and the race class will be made of Nm output instead of the free-for-all they have today. Also there will have to be motor assist rules, as of right now Shimano is 300% with the E8000, Bosch CX line 340%, Brose sMag 410%, assist support.

Last edited:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
We were going to be on the new Haibike ALL MTN 7.

Sadly, Switzerland looked to be on the travel ban list so we had to regrettably cancel before we went and alas it ended up there so made the right choice, but gutted we couldn't make it. Looked a lot of fun.

It's a new class and sport so I am sure there will be a lot of evolution but it seems to be getting some traction online.

Hopefully, Finale Ligure and Italy stays off the list for the end of Sept :)

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I got out of breath just listening to that! ?

Looked brutal. Bear in mind this is the final stage after all that distance travelled. An Enduro race is part stages, part the transition ensuring you're at your start gate bang on time, and the transitions are timed so you can't cruise it!!

It's at the end I guess as it's a trial, so I wouldn't want to see it any longer!! It certainly seemed to turn things on it's head a bit which is interesting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles