Zermatt 2020 EWS E Bike racing has arrived.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
The field for the inaugural race is small but stacked with former champions from a variety of disciplines:

EWS E-Series racers
Absalon, Remy. FRA1984
Remy placed 3rd in the first ever EWS race back in 2013 and has been a mainstay on the circuit ever since. He has several top 10 EWS finishes but no wins, and has won Megaavalanche twice.

Amour, Karim. FRA.1975. Longtime World Cup DH and 4x competitor who won a World Cup 4x race and had several top 10 World Cup DH results. He switched to Enduro after he retired from DH and finished 17th out of 293 racers at his first EWS race in 2013, at age 38. Since then he has been dominating the EWS veteran class.

Arduino, Mattia. ITA.1988. Didn't qualify for a World Cup DH in 3 attempts, but he did finish 16th at an IXS DH race in 2010 and raced one EWS race back in 2016.

Barel, Fabien. FRA.1980. Canyon Collective. 3 time World DH Champion, former EWS and World Cup DH race winner, one of the greatest gravity racers of all time.

Baroni, Francesco. ITA.1960 EWS Masters racer with mid-pack results.

Batista, Levy. FRA.1990 Tribe Rocky MTN Finished 43rd out of 257 at a 2018 EWS race.

Borges, Jose. POR.1990 Miranda Factory Team. Finished 2nd behind Martin Maes at the 2019 EWS race in Funchal, and 4th at the 2017 Megaavalanche race.

Brookes, Martyn. GBR.1987. Enduro racer with some top 50 finishes in the EWS.

Callaghan, Killian. IRL.1997. Finished in the top 40 at two 2019 EWS races.

Carballo Gonzalez, Edgar. ESP.1988 Orbea. Finished 25th at the 2018 World Cup DH race in Losinj and 23rd at the 2019 EWS race in Zermatt.

I see 3 primary reasons why e bikes will inevitably takeover EWS e bike racing, and likely sooner than later.

1. More fun
The 10 guys racing above think they are more fun, and once the regular ews racers see and hear about how much fun they are having more are going to jump on the electric enduro bandwagon. I wouldn't be surprised if some racers actually switch over mid- season because they want to get in on it. Because E bike racers won't be as spent from climbing hard all day, there is also the potential for more stages in the same amount of time, which equals more fun. Compared to the normal EWS class, EWS E bike racers will spend much less time climbing, have more fun on the climbs, and be fresher for the downhill stages.

Photo courtesy of 100sentiers.fr

2. The climbing stages
Heard much about normal EWS climbs? No, because they are as boring as watching paint dry. E bikes open up the opportunity to create a whole new exciting type of competition in an area that usually isn't exciting; The transfer stages. Hopefully the climbing stages will be steep and technical and test the riders technical skills more than their leg power. Not as extreme as motorcycle hillclimbs, but not something everybody will be able to climb without dabbing or getting off the bike. These climbing stages could really spice up the competition if they are done right, and it really adds some variety and skill diversity into the competition. E bike climbing on technical terrain is fun, and this is just another reason why riders are going to cross over instead of suffering and sweating all day on normal bikes. One possible development from E bike EWS racing will hopefully be more adjustable on the fly geometry to help conquer the climbing stages. Mountain biking has never had a racing discipline where climbing was fun to watch or do, but e bikes could change that quickly.

3. Industry trends
E Bike sales have blown through the roof in the last couple years, while normal bike sales have been relatively flat by comparison. While many riders gong to switch over because it's more fun, some manufacturers are also going to want their racers on E bikes to help sell them. EWS E bike racing will also provide perfect testing grounds for e bike research and development, as the bikes become lighter and more capable.

EWS is the perfect discipline for e bikes due to what they are capable of. E bike cross country seems like ridiculous hypocrisy, and E bike downhill racing would only make sense if there were no shuttle or lift. Enduro racing on e bikes will likely one day resemble DH racing more than Enduro racing, as racers will likely inevitably opt for double crown forks and heavier and more capable parts to go faster and have the bike survive. Once the Enduro E bikes turn into DH E bikes the sport is likely to become even more exciting.

The days of e bike racing being a joke are over and don't be surprised if e bike enduro racing becomes the fastest growing bike racing discipline in the very near future, in direct correlation with e bikes becoming the fastest selling segment in the bike industry.

As for the inaugural race in Zermatt I would expect Fabien Barrel to be the favorite based upon his history of winning big races. Edgar Carballo Gonzalez must also be considered a favorite since he raced well in Zermatt last year. Killian Calaghan, Jose Borges, Martyn Brookes, Remy Absolan also cannot be counted out. This race will be a bit of a learning experience for everyone, so it could be unpredictable and have some surprises.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
No.
We're still very much at the beginning of the gong show. ;)
Elaborate please. The EWS format looks great to me, this isn't a motorcycle racing organization that is doing things on a whim. The EWS has a great history of professionally run races, even though Enduro racing is the hardest bicycle racing discipline to organize. They wouldn't be doing this if they knew it wasn't going to be successful.

The addition of the climbing stages shows they are being creative with it and coming up with something unique that maximizes the abilities of e bikes and will be interesting for fans. I'm not saying there won't be any mistakes or things won't be improved over time, but I predict it will be a good show, not a gong show like the FIM race.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
Will Barel use an Ep8 ?
Sad not to see Vouilloz. His glp2 design just won the transalp though.
Yeah, hopefully he will make it to one of the later races. Him against Barrel would be a great race, Barrel won the first ever EWS race and Nico won the first ever World Cup at 16. I hope we'll be seeing some bigger fields in the next races but with Covid who knows what might happen.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
How do we get to see this and when is it?

Cheers

Alan
Probably just have to read about it and look at pictures on pinkbike, if they hopefully have coverage of it. Because of the disastrous FIM race people are skeptical about e bike racing and it doesn't seem to be getting much attention. But I'm excited and I think enduro is the perfect racing discipline for e bikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Elaborate please. The EWS format looks great to me, this isn't a motorcycle racing organization that is doing things on a whim. The EWS has a great history of professionally run races, even though Enduro racing is the hardest bicycle racing discipline to organize. They wouldn't be doing this if they knew it wasn't going to be successful.

The addition of the climbing stages shows they are being creative with it and coming up with something unique that maximizes the abilities of e bikes and will be interesting for fans. I'm not saying there won't be any mistakes or things won't be improved over time, but I predict it will be a good show, not a gong show like the FIM race.
Whatevz

farce = farcicle

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Embn is covering E ews and gmbn is covering ews. Theyre using ews/E ews announcers so far. Could be good coverage. They were saying Nico is racing. T mo too

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
No live coverage? A bit odd considering COVID and no public, also as they’re trying to get people interested in a new racing form.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I guess its just another category within the overall series. I'd be interested to find out how much slower (or faster) the ebikes are down any given stage than the normal bikes.

Cant say I'll be paying the ebikes any special attention though, and I cant see the pro's switching to ebikes in their droves, they'll just do whatever their sponsors want them to do, or what gives them the greatest chance of raising their profiles (if the sponsors give them free choice).

Maybe some (dare I say it - older) privateers will switch over, but I dont really see the ebike category as being an easier category to race in, the downhill stuff will be just as difficult as normal, and uphill stuff will be just as competetive/difficult.

I ride an ebike because it allows me to get more downhills in for any given amount of uphill effort, ie I ride for fun, ews is not riding for fun, you dont get more downhills in.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Vouilloz is racing, Flow only quoted the first page of racer entries in the opening post and explained who they were. There are 45 168 racers across both categories in total.

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
No live coverage? A bit odd considering COVID and no public, also as they’re trying to get people interested in a new racing form.
Yes it's a bit too early for mainstream but once the pandemic is beaten, it will be a thing. Pay no attention to the dismissive voices of recovered emo's from the 80's. Eurosport, EDGE Sport, EMBN etc will soon realise it requires relatively few resources to live stream a coherent broadcast with the right personnel & equipment. The rewards of the initial low-cost global live stream will become obvious, Especially when you consider that with repeated programming on Eurosport or EDGE from last year or the year before, it isn't long before people switch off.

Given the doubt that whether Le Tour will proceed, it's miraculous that there's any event at all. The fact that it's in Zermatt is a pointer to how it could possibly go ahead given the situation.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Given the doubt that whether Le Tour will proceed, it's miraculous that there's any event at all. The fact that it's in Zermatt is a pointer to how it could possibly go ahead given the situation.

Worth noting the EWS have already reported case of covid and have had to implement 'bubble system' for teams. See how the weekend goes but future rounds might not happen either.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Whats amusing about the EWS-E is all the riders on Brands many people will never have heard of, Miranda, Moustache Bikes, Peugeot Cycles (!!), BULLS.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Whats amusing about the EWS-E is all the riders on Brands many people will never have heard of, Miranda, Moustache Bikes, Peugeot Cycles (!!), BULLS.
My first bike was a Peugeot no BULLS....actually I've heard of all them but yes point taken. The event is sponsored by Specialized too.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.07.59.png

Sadly had to pull out due to COVID but we will be at the next one!

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Next one hopefully!

Looks like me and @TheBikePilot were the only two British riders entered in the EWS 100!

What bike were you planning to ride? I haven't seen any Levos even though the whole thing is sponsored by Specialized ?

I hope I can enter the EWS-E 50 or 100 at one of the European venues next year. EMTB forums should sponsor jerseys;)

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
If EWS-E proves successful (and no reason why it won't), how will they police it in terms of compliance, ensuring a level technical playing field?
Or won't they bother? and just let the technology (budget) race to the top?

They state they won’t police batteries and their capacity and just let technology run its course. With their max 250W continuous and support to 25km/h motor rules, it seems they will only enforce an EU-based “box rule” which I think will make motor manufacturers innovate faster (and the technical playing field won’t necessarily be level).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Or won't they bother? and just let the technology (budget) race to the top?
This
With their max 250W continuous and support to 25km/h motor rules, it seems they will only enforce an EU-based “box rule” which I think will make motor manufacturers innovate faster (and the technical playing field won’t necessarily be level).
In other words it's not a level playing field between the motors. it's extremely naive on the part of the organisers and because of this the whole thing is a complete farce. Not that it won't be interesting to watch. it just won't be fair competition.
Fitness and pedalling power matters in the normal EWS but power (Wattage & torque) to weight (rider and bike combined) will make even more difference with the introduction of the uphill only stages in EWS-E.
a light fit rider with the highest torque motor will be able to put a chunk of time into heavier riders on motors with less torque.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
This

In other words it's not a level playing field between the motors. it's extremely naive on the part of the organisers and because of this the whole thing is a complete farce. Not that it won't be interesting to watch. it just won't be fair competition.
Fitness and pedalling power matters in the normal EWS but power (Wattage & torque) to weight (rider and bike combined) will make even more difference with the introduction of the uphill only stages in EWS-E.
a light fit rider with the highest torque motor will be able to put a chunk of time into heavier riders on motors with less torque.

It's not in other words. It's nearly exactly what I said. Much like in other motor sports the motor innovations will be as important as rider fitness and weight. Much like with all other components of a racing bike, be it latest XTR drivetrain, latest carbon wheel set or testing out a new composite frame material.

I don't necessarily agree with EWS about this, but I think there's money in it for them by forcing the motor manufacturers to closely pay attention, follow up on eachother and innovate before each race. Like a mini-Formula1.

The motor is one of the most expensive components of an emtb, and from my experience people buy (at least when it comes to the premium class) emtbs first and foremost from what motor they are running.

In analog enduro, too, a light fit rider with the lightest bike and components that keep up will be able to put a chunk of time into heavier riders on heavier bikes and lesser components. It already matters what bike a rider is riding.

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Apologies to both of you, I’m not a native English speaker, so the term “box rule” may not have been used right. And I’m frankly out of my depth.

But I totally agree about the negative effects if it were to go all the way of big-business motorsport. I would just not be surprised if that, or MX Enduro, is a template of sorts for the EWS. That would also be a sport, just not what bikers are most into.

I lol-ed at the “brand classes” descriptions

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not in other words.
I don't think you understand what the phrase "in other words" means. But let's just forget I even said it.

In analog enduro, too, a light fit rider with the lightest bike and components that keep up will be able to put a chunk of time into heavier riders on heavier bikes and lesser components. It already matters what bike a rider is riding.
firstly stop calling it "analogue". there's no need to prefix mtb enduro with daft words. ;)
You're wrong about the bike and bike weights making a huge difference in EWS. simply take a look at the bikes and riders in the top ten individual stages, overall at rounds and overall in the series and you'll clearly see this.
Also. with no climbing stages in EWS lighter bikes DO NOT allow the riders to put chunks of time into competitors.
Rude and Maes are the main two riders who seem to be able to put chunks of time into the field on any uphill/flat sections.
both are very fit and of similar heights but the two are completely different builds with Rude being over 200lb and one of the heaviest top 10 riders in the competition. Neither rider rides a particularly light enduro bike.
They do both have previous drug bans though ;)

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I hate the word “analog”/“analogue” too in that use! I just wanted to make sure everybody saw I meant mtb enduro (which would have been better in hindsight).

Also the “in other words” kerfuffle was me thinking you misunderstood my conclusion. Forgotten.

Wouldn’t there be climbing section in mtb enduro as well? Still, it probably matters less than the plentiful of downhills though. I’m sure you are right about what factors matter most in mtb enduro.

I may just be coloured in all these subjects coming from MX myself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles