YT Decoy owner survey - motor / battery issues requiring returns to YT

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
How many of your have had to return your Decoy to YT for motor and/or battery issues? (not other analog bike parts - those I can address @LBS).

I've seen the following:
@SteveSSS : UK Yt Decoy Support - EMTB Forums
@Jedipip: YT Decoy NOT Serviceable by Shimano and YT Customer Service Fail - EMTB Forums
@d7e8wd: Consumer Rights - Where do I stand in getting a refund on my Decoy? - EMTB Forums

Like so many others, I'm itching to pull the trigger on a YT Decoy but reading the major issues above gives me pause.

I currently own a YT Jeffsy29 Pro. I've had ZERO quality issues other than broken spokes after 2 years of riding (I'm just heavy). But adding eMTB motor + battery opens up a whole other level of complexity that keeps me from clicking "BUY NOW" today on the Decoy. The $2-3K delta on equivalent component specifications vs. Levo or Trail is very alluring. But shipping a 50 lb Decoy to Germany for motor/battery work is definitely a PITA compared to just rolling up to your LBS and walking away for a week or so.

What are the actual frequency of YT battery / Shimano8000 issues that require return to YT? Anyone have a handle on this statistic?

Thanks in advance!

- Decoy owner wannabe

Punisher

Nov 12, 2019
Fr
I have one too. Shimano motor issue. Shimano is not YT...
Plus another shipping issue, carbon frame broken.
Anyway YT do the job. My friend using a Levo had some problem too. He said to me the time to repair is globally the same despite the physical shop.
So...
Last, the 2 last thread in your comment talk about guys who shortcut YT services and asked to Shimano to modify the bike. Then complain about YT...
Ask to BMW to change some part of your Mercedes car, then ask to Mercedes to refund you because this change doesnt work...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You are supposed to be able to take the bike to a Shimano service centre for any issues with the motor, which you can do, but if the problem is with the battery and the proprietary elements relating to that, then its likely it will have to go back to YT. Attitudes vary between service centres, but from my experience I have warrantied 2 E8000 motors via my local bike shop, despite my bikes being direct sales (vitus not YT) with no issue, but both had clear issues with the motor and no ambiguity as to if the problem was to do with battery in any way. They do run the stock batteries though.

Buying a bike from a bike shop is not a guarantee of any better service, as some of them handle the warranties shockingly, but there are some Bike Shops like Berkshire Cycles for example who will swap out a Levo motor while you wait if they have the time and motor in stock.

There are 3 problems in the industry at the moment making warrantying a bit of a nightmare, Covid-19 means warranty departments are understaffed due to social distancing, bike shops and service centres are overrun due to unprecedented demand for new bikes and workshop time, and lastly their are rumours that (at least in the UK) there are hardly any Shimano motors left in stock for warranties, with delayed deliveries due to Covid to the UK.

This means there are delays in process's right now, and people getting pissed off about it.

Third thing you might want to consider is Shimano are bringing out a new motor later this year, with bigger batteries (which YT may or may not use), and there will be a host of new models as a result.

The Shimano motor is pretty bulletproof if you treat it well, and the YT frame design does a good job of protecting it, however (and this applies to all EMTB motors), what they dont like is being ridden hard, and they will eventually fail if you are an aggressive rider riding hard and fast, as the forces going through them are pretty extreme (not in terms of the peddling inout, more the stresses/lateral forces from hard riding)

The YT is a great bike, its the only bike I have tried (and I have tried lots) that I would consider as an alternative to my E-Sommett, in terms of being fun to ride both on normal trials, but also when you want to turn the volume up - I actually had one on order when they first came out, but cancelled the order after I had tried it as really the only reason to change from the Vitus would have been aesthetics, and I would have wanted to put a 180 up front with a 27.5 wheel, meaning I was looking at close to 7k by the time I was finished. I will be watching closely to see what they bring out next year.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
Same is true in the USA regarding E8000 motors. My frame builder friend can’t get motors from Shimano presently. I suspect this will only be a short term issue.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I have had 2 faults.
1. System errors and startup issues. This went back to YT but turned out to be dirt in the charge port/plug. I only found this after it came back with "no fault found" from YT.

2. E8000 bearing play. Local Shimano agent replaced motor under warranty. I think this was because of the number of pedal strikes I got before I learnt how to ride it. Ebikes need a slightly different set of pedaling techniques.

I love my Decoy and am very happy with the motor performance so not worried about newer motors. In fact the new Bosch gen 4 seems to be a copy of the E8000 :).

I ride extreme Enduro trials 5-6 days a week.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
You are supposed to be able to take the bike to a Shimano service centre for any issues with the motor, which you can do, but if the problem is with the battery and the proprietary elements relating to that, then its likely it will have to go back to YT. Attitudes vary between service centres, but from my experience I have warrantied 2 E8000 motors via my local bike shop, despite my bikes being direct sales (vitus not YT) with no issue, but both had clear issues with the motor and no ambiguity as to if the problem was to do with battery in any way. They do run the stock batteries though.

Buying a bike from a bike shop is not a guarantee of any better service, as some of them handle the warranties shockingly, but there are some Bike Shops like Berkshire Cycles for example who will swap out a Levo motor while you wait if they have the time and motor in stock.

There are 3 problems in the industry at the moment making warrantying a bit of a nightmare, Covid-19 means warranty departments are understaffed due to social distancing, bike shops and service centres are overrun due to unprecedented demand for new bikes and workshop time, and lastly their are rumours that (at least in the UK) there are hardly any Shimano motors left in stock for warranties, with delayed deliveries due to Covid to the UK.

This means there are delays in process's right now, and people getting pissed off about it.

Third thing you might want to consider is Shimano are bringing out a new motor later this year, with bigger batteries (which YT may or may not use), and there will be a host of new models as a result.

The Shimano motor is pretty bulletproof if you treat it well, and the YT frame design does a good job of protecting it, however (and this applies to all EMTB motors), what they dont like is being ridden hard, and they will eventually fail if you are an aggressive rider riding hard and fast, as the forces going through them are pretty extreme (not in terms of the peddling inout, more the stresses/lateral forces from hard riding)

The YT is a great bike, its the only bike I have tried (and I have tried lots) that I would consider as an alternative to my E-Sommett, in terms of being fun to ride both on normal trials, but also when you want to turn the volume up - I actually had one on order when they first came out, but cancelled the order after I had tried it as really the only reason to change from the Vitus would have been aesthetics, and I would have wanted to put a 180 up front with a 27.5 wheel, meaning I was looking at close to 7k by the time I was finished. I will be watching closely to see what they bring out next year.

@R120 - Thanks for the insights. Shimano's website lists some LBSs that are no longer in business. I called one shop listed as a Shimano Service Center (SSC) on their map to inquire about servicing E8000 motors, and the guy said "he'd have to talk to their mechanic and he's busy at the moment". But they claim to sell e-bikes with the motor so one would presume they do.

RE: COVID - yeah this seems to be absolutely the WORST time to bike shop. I did manage a test ride on a Turbo Levo (mask/gloves required). The shop I just called says they sell Trek Rail, but not allowing test rides until Maryland Governor allows retail back open at 50% capacity. I may get to try a Bulls and/or Haibike - but neither are really on my shortlist. It would be more for motor curiosity than anything.

RE: YT timelines - I may just be patient and wait. Mostly because I had slight buyers remorse with my Jeffsy after they launched gen2 with longer reach and geo changes. When I chatted w/ YT, they completely denied any current development on 700 wh battery or timelines. I can't imagine needing the 700wh battery frankly since I almost never go longer than 2hrs and don't typically exceed 10-15 miles and 1000 ft of climb. But I'd be interested in any smaller, more-efficient, quieter or higher torque motor that might emerge. Or, a 10% off Gen1 Decoy sale price......

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I have had 2 faults.
1. System errors and startup issues. This went back to YT but turned out to be dirt in the charge port/plug. I only found this after it came back with "no fault found" from YT.

2. E8000 bearing play. Local Shimano agent replaced motor under warranty. I think this was because of the number of pedal strikes I got before I learnt how to ride it. Ebikes need a slightly different set of pedaling techniques.

I love my Decoy and am very happy with the motor performance so not worried about newer motors. In fact the new Bosch gen 4 seems to be a copy of the E8000 :).

I ride extreme Enduro trials 5-6 days a week.

@Lee Dove - re #1 above - do you literally mean the external charge port, or inside the motor casing? If external, that's good and easy to check/clean.

#2 - are you running in high or low chip setting? I've gotten a ton of strikes on my Jeffsy in 'low' and now exclusively run in 'high' and it's helped immeasurably. I'm 260+ lbs to lots of weight on that shock in g-outs, standing or even sitting pedaling up rooty sections.

I do worry a little about motor longevity due to torquing of motor bearings from my cranks since I'm so heavy. But hopefully either a motor swap could happen locally at a US-based shimano center, not require shipping back to YT.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I am currently replacing the E8000 motor in my Decoy under warranty.
Shimano responded within a day and approved the swap out because
of excessive movement in the bearings. Really not YT's fault so I can't
fault them and they did respond very quick when I submitted the claim.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I am currently replacing the E8000 motor in my Decoy under warranty.
Shimano responded within a day and approved the swap out because
of excessive movement in the bearings. Really not YT's fault so I can't
fault them and they did respond very quick when I submitted the claim.

@Armeniandave - I noticed you're here in US. Are you going through a CA-based Shimano center? What were the symptoms that prompted you to replace?

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I had a clicking noise when I pedaled that turned out to be the bearings going bad in the motor. I called YT and sent them a video. They called Shimano and arranged the new motor. I'm in San Diego and YT and Shimano are about an hour away from me and about 15 minutes away from each other. Started this process on Thursday and my motor will be here tomorrow.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
@R120 - Thanks for the insights. Shimano's website lists some LBSs that are no longer in business. I called one shop listed as a Shimano Service Center (SSC) on their map to inquire about servicing E8000 motors, and the guy said "he'd have to talk to their mechanic and he's busy at the moment". But they claim to sell e-bikes with the motor so one would presume they do.

RE: COVID - yeah this seems to be absolutely the WORST time to bike shop. I did manage a test ride on a Turbo Levo (mask/gloves required). The shop I just called says they sell Trek Rail, but not allowing test rides until Maryland Governor allows retail back open at 50% capacity. I may get to try a Bulls and/or Haibike - but neither are really on my shortlist. It would be more for motor curiosity than anything.

RE: YT timelines - I may just be patient and wait. Mostly because I had slight buyers remorse with my Jeffsy after they launched gen2 with longer reach and geo changes. When I chatted w/ YT, they completely denied any current development on 700 wh battery or timelines. I can't imagine needing the 700wh battery frankly since I almost never go longer than 2hrs and don't typically exceed 10-15 miles and 1000 ft of climb. But I'd be interested in any smaller, more-efficient, quieter or higher torque motor that might emerge. Or, a 10% off Gen1 Decoy sale price......
@Lee Dove - re #1 above - do you literally mean the external charge port, or inside the motor casing? If external, that's good and easy to check/clean.

#2 - are you running in high or low chip setting? I've gotten a ton of strikes on my Jeffsy in 'low' and now exclusively run in 'high' and it's helped immeasurably. I'm 260+ lbs to lots of weight on that shock in g-outs, standing or even sitting pedaling up rooty sections.

I do worry a little about motor longevity due to torquing of motor bearings from my cranks since I'm so heavy. But hopefully either a motor swap could happen locally at a US-based shimano center, not require shipping back to YT.

Yes, the external charge port. Once I worked out the issue cleaning was really easy and is now part of regular maintenance.

I run the chip in high because I now have a 2.6 rear tyre. I have no problem with strikes now , I just learned how to ride it :)

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Had my decoy about a year now and only issue has been the odd error message on startup, until it failed to go from the startup screen to the normal screen. A quick google shows this is a common problem when water gets on the battery/frame connection. Battery out, clean with iso and application of silicon grease and its been great ever since. Brothers Decoy exactly the same. Other than that its been bombproof.

Water and electric don't mix.

Now my Levo is a different story - on its second engine as when the Levo gets water in it rots the solder joints. Levo is now going to France to only be used in the dry where it will probably be fine.;)

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Yes, the external charge port. Once I worked out the issue cleaning was really easy and is now part of regular maintenance.

I run the chip in high because I now have a 2.6 rear tyre. I have no problem with strikes now , I just learned how to ride it :)
How do you like the 2.6. Thinking of going that way myself. What tyre did u go for.

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
Today went to ride bike and E010 displayed on screen and motor will not turn on. Emailed YT, think it needs to go back to them, has only been ridden 350km.
Di2 Gears have been poor since getting it, new e13 cassette still the same. it seems to be a good system but e13 cassette seems to be letting it down.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Today went to ride bike and E010 displayed on screen and motor will not turn on. Emailed YT, think it needs to go back to them, has only been ridden 350km.
Di2 Gears have been poor since getting it, new e13 cassette still the same. it seems to be a good system but e13 cassette seems to be letting it down.

Try cleaning the battery connections and charge port. This has always been my issue when I get E10. YT have no idea what to suggest apart from Return to them.

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
I’ve Have removed battery cleaned connections on battery and bike, I blown out all motor connectors with compressed air also, turned it in and off, tried charging battery off bike and on bike. So gave up & emailed YT.
I not really Ridden it in the mud, I’ve turned into a fair weather rider, but dust does get everywhere.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I sold my 2019 to my brother and have been riding my 2020 for a few months (I got one of the first ones in the US). Zero problems with either one except for the E13 cassette. Both bikes are the pro race model and I ride them hard, including at the bike park.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I’ve Have removed battery cleaned connections on battery and bike, I blown out all motor connectors with compressed air also, turned it in and off, tried charging battery off bike and on bike. So gave up & emailed YT.
I not really Ridden it in the mud, I’ve turned into a fair weather rider, but dust does get everywhere.
Try an old toothbrush + isopropyl alcohol on battery connectors and connectors attached to frame. Leave to dry. Replace. There are a few posts on here regarding various hacks of what we've done with the battery. I too had many problems to begin with, but have been problem free for 200km+ now (touch wood).

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Had tre smaller issues with YT in the fall (Cassette, dropper cartridge, chain guard) and response time was a nightmare. Standart answer with everything is “send it to us an expect 4-6 weeks waiting time” I think they are more up to speed now but i sold my Decoy partly from just being pissed off at YT.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles