YT Decoy 700WH battery

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I too almost hit the button this morning, but wanted to take the coil out of my fork and check for clearance issues on my size S, may still check the travel this weekend and see how tight it is, maybe next time!

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Could anyone please give me the measurement of how much the "hump" protrudes compared to the 540?
Looks around 30mm or so in the photos......

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
Here is my story:
I decided to sell my Decoy because of the battery hassle, so I cleaned the bike, took photos, prepared everything for the sale. Started to look for a replacement - but it is a jungle. I really like the geometry of the Decoy and also the components are fine to very good, no complaints. In the end, on my shortlist were: Norco, Rocky Mountain, Orbea, maybe Canyon.

I need to be able to remove the battery for charging, so the Orbea dropped from the list. Also the RM as it seems to be a hassle to remove the battery. The Canyon has some other issues, so I dropped it as well. The Norco is not available here, so I was close to desperation and started to look at other brands.

Wednesday afternoon, I emailed to YT, asking them if they see any hope for the battery. They sent me a standard answer, I got upset and wrote back that I expect a specific answer to my email. They replied they don't know exactly when they will become available. I replied, asking that I do not expect an exact date but at least a date range - weeks, months, years, decades, never. They answered that within the next 3-6 weeks something might be available, no guarantee.

Same day, Wednesday evening, as so often, I refreshed my bookmark for the battery availability and there it was! Even before I got the email! I ordered and got one. Called up my friend who has a Decoy a couple of minutes later and they were sold out. What a joke!

Anyway, mine is on its way and am pretty relieved. As said, I like my Decoy otherwise and it would have been difficult to find a suitable replacement. So, I can shift that decision out for another year or two.

---

@KenX - Unfortunately, the 720Wh battery cannot be used with Size S Frames - check the description of the battery.
I too almost hit the button this morning, but wanted to take the coil out of my fork and check for clearance issues on my size S, may still check the travel this weekend and see how tight it is, maybe next time!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
the 720wh batteries have been in stock on the US site for 24 hours now. They must have gotten a lot of them in stock at the US mill.
Thanks for the alert! My buddy just got one and he's been bikeless for weeks with a bad battery.

j8ch

Jan 6, 2023
arizona
To anyone that's on the fence about the 720, I was refreshing the YT site 15x a day back when the 720's very first showed up on the site and was lucky enough to get one.. but prob 9/10 rides I grab the 540, instead. The 720 gives you an extra bar of battery (5 bars instead of 4) so it's nice to have that peace of mind if you're going out for a longer day, somewhere you're slogging up a bunch of steep climbs or meeting up with friends with eebs or whatever, but the way that it "feels" on the bike is a bummer... It's odd that an added couple of pounds makes such a difference, but it's very noticeable. For me, it's a must to have a backup battery and ultimately i'd rather have the 720 than another 540, so I don't mean to complain.. It may be that I got so used to riding a certain way with the bike being a certain weight and now I have to sort of re-learn how to find my balance again when i'm both climbing (you def feel that 2 pounds on the steep stuff) and descending. There def seems to be a reason they fit the Decoy specifically with that 540. Just my .02 on the heavier/bigger battery- Again, not that i'm not glad to have scored one.. but a second 540 might be the play for most people if you can find one in stock.

Last edited:

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
D806122E-8796-4263-9E4C-2E8E2339D76A.jpeg

It’s not a Photoshop

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Could anyone please give me the measurement of how much the "hump" protrudes compared to the 540?
Looks around 30mm or so in the photos......
It's less, around 17mm.
If you are ready to ride a slightly slacker seat angle and head angle a crown spacer like the Reverse one might be the solution to fit the 720 in the S frame

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
First ride with the 720wh, all in trail 50km/1300m and 20% left.
I don’t feel the handling difference with the 540wh, maybe it depends on the frame size, on the XL I have the feeling the weight is still very well distributed.
It’s really nice not to worry about the range anymore for my use. The main drawbacks is that YT doesn’t offer to take the old battery back like they promised a couple of years ago and the pricing is steep…

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
It's less, around 17mm.
If you are ready to ride a slightly slacker seat angle and head angle a crown spacer like the Reverse one might be the solution to fit the 720 in the S frame
Thanks for the info! Took the spring out the fork today and the current gap with a 2.5" tyre is 16mm................
That's with the Smashpot set for 180mm travel, guess I could reduce that to 170mm and/or set the bottom-out damper to max, have to weigh up pros and cons....

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Doh, reducing travel just makes the fork shorter, it will still bottom out at the same point!
Reduce the fork to 170mm and use a crown spacer if you really want the 720wh.
I don’t think you will loose that much performance or even notice 1cm less travel you can just increase the bottom out damper as you said

bergsnj

Jan 17, 2023
New Jersey
These 720WH batteries have been coming and going from stock 3 or 4 times now. They are still available at the moment in the USA. Seems like YT is getting a bunch of these now.
720WH.jpg

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I wish you could pay the difference in price and purchase the bike with the 720 (similar to how canyon does with the 900) instead of having to buy another battery. I don't necessarily want 2 batteries, just a bigger one!
Just to confirm, I emailed YT USA and asked about purchasing a Decoy with the 720 battery and they said it was not possible. They said it was only available as an accessory.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
So I have ridden something like 300km with the new battery. I have some power cuts when I reach roughly 50%, or black screen or E010 error. I have tried to clean all the bike contacts without any luck. Moreover the battery doesn't charge properly even when out of the bike it sometimes stop and the charger goes off.
I have open a warranty claim with YT we will see what they say.
I'm so gutted, I was looking forward to get more range for the summer and I have sold my old battery, I never had a single issue or error before...

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
So I have ridden something like 300km with the new battery. I have some power cuts when I reach roughly 50%, or black screen or E010 error. I have tried to clean all the bike contacts without any luck. Moreover the battery doesn't charge properly even when out of the bike it sometimes stop and the charger goes off.
I have open a warranty claim with YT we will see what they say.
I'm so gutted, I was looking forward to get more range for the summer and I have sold my old battery, I never had a single issue or error before...
I never gave any update on that, I got an updated battery connector free of charge from YT which is supposed to improve the connexion and it seems to have resolved the issue 👍

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I've got one! Well I will have late in May when it's delivered........
Then just need to treble check clearance/interference on my size S frame, FWIW I have never bottomed the fork (Yari 180mm Smashpot/FAST Up damper), but can maybe up the mid-range damping, add a crown spacer and reconfigure/adjust the bottom-out shim stack on the Smashpot, I'll report back later in the year, stoked!!!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles