Decoy Hacks??!!

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
Reading through the forum whilst eagerly anticipating delivery of my Decoy Pro 29 - trying hard not to focus on the bad sh1t but it's difficult!

With this in mind, I'd be interested to hear about any hacks you guys have to help try prevent the more common issues - thinking mainly around the battery/motor and it's waterproofing for Scottish weather but any lessons learned would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
Mike

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I used a acf50 on all electrics all around motor etc just stay away from ur brakes
Then I made a gasket to fit around the battery I will take a picture as promised to someone els it only took minutes to make out of 3-5mm 3m foam. I swapped my wheels out after 20 ish miles as could not handle the crap e13 cassette. I invisiframed it as soon as I got it. I had to make a shim for the rear pivot as the rear triangle was hitting the frame an making a horrid noise. My best mate bought 1 a few months later an all hes done is invisiframed, acf50, an battery gasket an his has been all good

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I used a acf50 on all electrics all around motor etc just stay away from ur brakes
Then I made a gasket to fit around the battery I will take a picture as promised to someone els it only took minutes to make out of 3-5mm 3m foam. I swapped my wheels out after 20 ish miles as could not handle the crap e13 cassette. I invisiframed it as soon as I got it. I had to make a shim for the rear pivot as the rear triangle was hitting the frame an making a horrid noise. My best mate bought 1 a few months later an all hes done is invisiframed, acf50, an battery gasket an his has been all good
ACF-50 anti-corrosion like this?
ACF-50 Corrosion Block

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Then I made a gasket to fit around the battery I will take a picture as promised to someone els it only took minutes to make out of 3-5mm 3m foam.

Yes, please do

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
cheap to buy .. 3M clear plastic and 100% watertight

^^ the 3M foam idea looks good too. Do both and you can ride in a monsoon with no issues

Well around the battery anyway .. don't have any motor tricks (y)

3m seal decoy2.png

Last edited:

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
ACF-50 anti-corrosion like this?
ACF-50 Corrosion Block

Acf50 anti corrosion inhibitor warm the can tho in hot warm water shake well an spray fo a mist remove the straw but a little does go a long way an what ever u do don’t get it on ur brakes

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Acf50 anti corrosion inhibitor warm the can tho in hot warm water shake well an spray fo a mist remove the straw but a little does go a long way an what ever u do don’t get it on ur brakes
Would you mind posting a picture of where you spray it?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As a general point with the shimano motors, they have a tendency to get crap behind the access cover on the LHS for the cables - it is worth taking it off (3 screws that are very small and easy to loose!) and cleaning it out once in a while. You could also put a small piece of moto foam in there, or some electrical tape or similar over the edge to prevent crap getting in. This is the area in mine, Its pretty clear due to recent dry weather.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 18.32.57.png

Kvasi

Mar 27, 2020
Norway
As a general point with the shimano motors, they have a tendency to get crap behind the access cover on the LHS for the cables - it is worth taking it off (3 screws that are very small and easy to loose!) and cleaning it out once in a while. You could also put a small piece of moto foam in there, or some electrical tape or similar over the edge to prevent crap getting in. This is the area in mine, Its pretty clear due to recent dry weather.

View attachment 29535

YT Decoy

JT4EFV.md.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So you cant access the port without dropping the motor? Serious design fail IMO and a lot of problems stem from crap and moisture getting in there. Personally I would drop the motor and put come Moto foam above the motor between it and the frame to help.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales

Just remove the battery an spray everything that’s what I did. I’ll get some pics for u later

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
1.Shorten you cables, at least in mine they delivered it with ridiculously long cables.

2. check B tension screw on rear mech

3. check software and make sure assistance level are set to you liking. Mine were in medium, a buddies were all in low.

4. I just got 35mm rise bars and cut them to 760mm helped bike handle way better. Kind of a personal preference thing but they cut the steer tube on fork so short you can’t add spacers and stack hight felt too low to me.

5. Pay attention to rear quick release, mine has come loose a couple times, still not sure why.

6. Once you get stupid rubber grommets in place you can use mini zip tie to keep them inserted. Otherwise they tend to pop out. I used a little armor all as lube to get them set correctly.

7. Just noticed my rear mech cable is cracked where it enters rear mech, they made loop to short there so have to replace. Still need to shorten this one anyway I’m just lazy.

8. Replaced rear tire with a double down casing, I got a puncture second ride on stock tires. stock tires are fine for front, at least for me but too flimsy for rear!

9. I have tried to seal battery area a little better as well, not sure how successful it is.

Think that’s it? I didn’t bother using any frame protection, didn’t seem worth it, don’t think these will have good resale ever.. technology moving to fast so I see no need to protect the frame.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
1.Shorten you cables, at least in mine they delivered it with ridiculously long cables.

2. check B tension screw on rear mech

3. check software and make sure assistance level are set to you liking. Mine were in medium, a buddies were all in low.

4. I just got 35mm rise bars and cut them to 760mm helped bike handle way better. Kind of a personal preference thing but they cut the steer tube on fork so short you can’t add spacers and stack hight felt too low to me.

5. Pay attention to rear quick release, mine has come loose a couple times, still not sure why.

6. Once you get stupid rubber grommets in place you can use mini zip tie to keep them inserted. Otherwise they tend to pop out. I used a little armor all as lube to get them set correctly.

7. Just noticed my rear mech cable is cracked where it enters rear mech, they made loop to short there so have to replace. Still need to shorten this one anyway I’m just lazy.

8. Replaced rear tire with a double down casing, I got a puncture second ride on stock tires. stock tires are fine for front, at least for me but too flimsy for rear!

9. I have tried to seal battery area a little better as well, not sure how successful it is.

Think that’s it? I didn’t bother using any frame protection, didn’t seem worth it, don’t think these will have good resale ever.. technology moving to fast so I see no need to protect the frame.
3. I used Stunlocker to set Eco to 50, Trail to 100 and Boost to 150, but obviously those settings are very personal and dependent upon the trails you ride.
5. Exactly the same on the Capra, so I was used to checking this.
8. Just had a Michelin 2.6" e-wild rear arrive today. Some people have said if I install this tire I might need to flip the chip to slightly raise the bike. Will have a play later.
9. Really liking the look of the foam idea - wouldn't surprise me if YT do something similar in the future. For the time being, the black electrical tape is working for me - but obviously a hassle if you want to remove the battery (remove tape, reapply tape).

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
3. I used Stunlocker to set Eco to 50, Trail to 100 and Boost to 150, but obviously those settings are very personal and dependent upon the trails you ride.
5. Exactly the same on the Capra, so I was used to checking this.
8. Just had a Michelin 2.6" e-wild rear arrive today. Some people have said if I install this tire I might need to flip the chip to slightly raise the bike. Will have a play later.
9. Really liking the look of the foam idea - wouldn't surprise me if YT do something similar in the future. For the time being, the black electrical tape is working for me - but obviously a hassle if you want to remove the battery (remove tape, reapply tape).

I’m just using E-TUBE app but set everything to high. I can pretty much just leave it in trail for most riding.

I have a set of carbon plus wheels I’m trying to sell, thinking about trying to run the on the decoy, should work in high mode! I need to buy a micro spline hub To try so if they don’t sell soon I’ll try with plus tires and report back.

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
Really appreciate the replies so far gents.

ACF-50, foam tape and 3M plastic sheets on their way. Stunlocker downloaded. Think I’ll try the stock Minions for a while though.

MT7’s going on, not a fan of SRAM anchors.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Really appreciate the replies so far gents.

ACF-50, foam tape and 3M plastic sheets on their way. Stunlocker downloaded. Think I’ll try the stock Minions for a while though.

MT7’s going on, not a fan of SRAM anchors.
I find SRAM are fine for about a year, but once they start to go they ain't coming back. I then switch to Zee or Saint.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

Go nuts in there acf50 won’t hurt any of it, wipe excess off with a rag, put the rag in a bag an tie it as u can use it again to wipe the frame etc, spry display connections switchs etc, I used dielectric grease on the battery terminals. The foam I used is 3mm 3m self adhesive closed cell u could use 4-5mm for a tighter fit just buy it in a sheet or roll long enough. Clean the battery wipe with panel wipe/ rubbin alcohol etc stick it to the battery an trim with a sharp blade job done
U can spray the acf50 all around the motor too ie on the outside as it will repel water. To clean the bike I wash it dry it an spray it with silicone spray or car dash polish same thing. Mud an water won’t stick to it an will help keep the crap out of ur bearings

Last edited:

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Foam is nice against dust. But it could be a major issue about thermic aspect. No more fresh air to cold the battery...

Tbh mate it don’t get that hot I have removed it after a ride an it just feels warm. Granted i live in South Wales an it don’t get crazy hot here. I’ll keep a eye on it tho an if I do get any issues I will post it up. 130miles so far so good

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
You do not need to seal the whole perimeter of the battery only the top edge area. This will prevent crap getting on the terminals but allow a bit of air around it for cooling. The main things in a wet Scotland (I live in Innerleithen) is to :-

1. Always make sure the charging port cover is in properly.
2. Every few rides spray wd40 or similar into the charge port socket and blow clean.

This prevents the main and most confusing problem I have had with my Decoy. You can be riding along and get an error which stops the motor, a reboot will then not get past the Startup screen. This turns out to be a bit of crap in the socket which makes the system think the charger is plugged in and puts the system into "charging" mode. I even sent my bike back to YT with this issue and eventually had to diagnose it for myself. I have now had 10 months of smooth running after a few weeks of major frustration.

:)(y)(y)(y)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
View attachment 29636
View attachment 29637
View attachment 29638
Go nuts in there acf50 won’t hurt any of it, wipe excess off with a rag, put the rag in a bag an tie it as u can use it again to wipe the frame etc, spry display connections switchs etc, I used dielectric grease on the battery terminals. The foam I used is 3mm 3m self adhesive closed cell u could use 4-5mm for a tighter fit just buy it in a sheet or roll long enough. Clean the battery wipe with panel wipe/ rubbin alcohol etc stick it to the battery an trim with a sharp blade job done
U can spray the acf50 all around the motor too ie on the outside as it will repel water. To clean the bike I wash it dry it an spray it with silicone spray or car dash polish same thing. Mud an water won’t stick to it an will help keep the crap out of ur bearings
Something like this (4mm thick)?
https: //www.amazon.ca/ dp / B07PBSBNRM/

I'm still having terrible battery issues. Turning off randomly, E10, E13, E20 errors. Used IPA on terminals and air compressor. Sealed battery with electrical tape. Will pick up some ACF50 and dielectric grease tomorrow.

Got the bike booked into a Shimano service center for Friday next week.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
You do not need to seal the whole perimeter of the battery only the top edge area. This will prevent crap getting on the terminals but allow a bit of air around it for cooling. The main things in a wet Scotland (I live in Innerleithen) is to :-

1. Always make sure the charging port cover is in properly.
2. Every few rides spray wd40 or similar into the charge port socket and blow clean.

This prevents the main and most confusing problem I have had with my Decoy. You can be riding along and get an error which stops the motor, a reboot will then not get past the Startup screen. This turns out to be a bit of crap in the socket which makes the system think the charger is plugged in and puts the system into "charging" mode. I even sent my bike back to YT with this issue and eventually had to diagnose it for myself. I have now had 10 months of smooth running after a few weeks of major frustration.

:)(y)(y)(y)
Had that problem as well when I first got the bike. Most common error now is the battery simply turning off whilst riding. I'm determined to get it fixed as I'm loving the bike otherwise.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
View attachment 29636
View attachment 29637
View attachment 29638
Something like this (4mm thick)?
https: //www.amazon.ca/ dp / B07PBSBNRM/

I'm still having terrible battery issues. Turning off randomly, E10, E13, E20 errors. Used IPA on terminals and air compressor. Sealed battery with electrical tape. Will pick up some ACF50 and dielectric grease tomorrow.

Got the bike booked into a Shimano service center for Friday next week.

IMG_3282.png

IMG_3281.png

Something like these will do an just trim the excess down with a blade

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I use black electrical tape to seal the gaps along the downtube. Gets quite wet here in North Vancouver in the winter.

First thing I did was replace the rock hard saddle.

Those stock YT saddles have got to be the most uncomfortable in the history of mountain biking. My ass went numb on the first climb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles