Consumer Rights - Where do I stand in getting a refund on my Decoy?

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Hi All, as many other have shared on these threads, I'm having a nightmare with my Decoy, I have no faith in the long term reliability of the system and I no longer wish to own the bike. I'm really struggling with my YT experience and was wondering if anyone else here has been through similar and can offer advice.

I bought a YT Decoy in early Feb, and it has been working for about 10 of my 100 days of ownership. There where some delivery issues (aka could see a lot of the bike through the box) that resulted in mech and hangar damage that initially prevented riding, however this wasn't the end of the world, it was fixed in about 3 weeks. The Yari was also only showing 140mm of stanchion and YT maintained that this is due to a new negative air spring design to reduce breakaway force (LOL - obviously it is nonsense that a 160mm travel fork only showing 140mm of stanchion is a design choice). Regardless, I was super excited to get riding so I took their explanation on the chin and got to the woods. And it was crazy fun.

However, since then there has been a recurring fault with the shimano steps system freezing upon startup. After researching it appears that a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. I've tried all suggested at-home fixes and this has amounted to nothing.

Their solution has been to send the bike back to Germany (after finding a new box as mine was destroyed), and that they should be entitled to 3 attempts to resolve the issue before I would be allowed a refund (that the value of which would be contingent on wear and tear too!). They also have massive backlogs due to the current COVID situation so each round trip would be a long time.

Fortunately I live very close to a Shimano Steps authorised repair centre (this is a fairly challenging certification for an LBS to achieve), so I thought instead of sending it to Germany for a month I could see if they could sort it. They fixed the bike by effectively resetting each part of the Steps firmware, but mentioned that the battery and the on/off switch were in-house components and not recognised by the step ecosystem, and that communication errors between the parts were the issue, and that it would likely happen again.

Lo and behold it has quickly broken again and this time resetting the software wont bring it back to life.

The key issue with this bike rests on the YT parts (battery and switch) that have been hastily patched in to the Steps ecosystem, the Steps diagnostic software does not recognise these parts, and YT cannot provide me with an answer for when they will be added to the steps ecosystem, only telling me that the battery is 'certified'. If this had been made this clear during purchase I would have had significant apprehensions before purchasing the bike.

YT is refusing a refund saying they need to opportunity to repair it 3 times (which is guidance in German consumer law but not UK consumer protection), and that the repairs carried out so far do not count towards this total as they cannot attest to the quality of workmanship. To top it all off the LBS (shoutout Mamachari Walthamstow who have been excellent) actually had head the 'Head of Steps engineering UK' in attendance for a staff training seminar and they used my repair as a worked example.

I cant help but feel like I'm left 4 grand out of pocket and I will be left in a cycle of riding a time bomb of a bike that will just continue letting me down.

YT has admitted that they have a 'roadmap' for introducing the parts to the steps ecosystem but they cannot give me a timeframe for when this will happen, which is of zero use to me, and frankly terrible behaviour as a company, they are beta testing a product in the marketplace and its been well over a year since release and they havent acted on it.

Does this seem deeply unreasonable to a 3rd party? I'm not sure if I'm just so invested in the situation I have rage blinders on! I admit that YT themselves haven't had the opportunity to assess the bike yet, but plenty of very qualified technicians have seen it, regardless of YT's assumption they lack the requisite skill.

To top it all off, the last email from Moritz advises me that I will not be getting a refund, and that if any damage occurs during transit it is my responsibility. AND the shipping company is the exact same one that trashed the bike on first attempt. AND that was with a bespoke bike box, not the makeshift thing I'm thrashing together now!!

Lesson 1000% learnt on not going the cheaper direct sales route in the future!

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Did you buy it on credit card?

Wouldnt it be easier to just send the frame back than the whole bike?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sorry I dont have any consumer advice for you but...
I was very tempted by the Decoy and enquired about a comp by e-mail, I asked several questions in that mail.
4 replies later and repeated attempts to get answers I still didnt get any and they recommended me a drink bottle (thirstmaster 2000 out of stock) that didnt even fit the decoy.
thats before I bought the bike... imagine things afterwards..
I dont care that other bikes have lower tier components or are more expensive - or both.. I want decent service with a bike like that and YT just come across as incompetent

Punisher

Nov 12, 2019
Fr
I have some problems with them but I am far away about your experience.
May I suggest to communicate these facts to a lawyer. If YT responsabilities are fully engaged, you will get a quick refund.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Apparently yt now have a uk guy/shop or whatever it is now..somebody will be along soon to advise you who he is..if you have a browse through this yt section you'll see it..it was the last few days so not too hard to find

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you paid by credit card get them involved under section 75.

If @Fx1 is around perhaps he could proffer some advice.

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Hi All, many thanks for your responses so far. @Zero / @Doomanic I did purchase on a credit card, so will use that if it is needed. Sending the frame back alone would be a substantial amount of work on my end, plus when I initially asked them if I could replace the broken Yaris with some lyrics I had they said it would void that warranty altogether, so I'm a bit worried doing any work to it whatsoever will just give them cause to refuse the refund.

@Steve940 I'm somewhat interested in their new Guildford operation but that seems to be a little way down the line and to be totally honest, I am completely put off this brand now. I'd rather fork over an extra grand or so and get a Spesh or a Trek from the LBS so I have a human I can talk to face to face when issues arise.

@Punisher I've actually spoken to a good friend of mine who is a lawyer and he has helped me draft a slightly more forceful response.

Will update when I get more info.

Many thanks

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I’m sure you are not happy about the thought of paying to ship it back to Germany, but that may be what it takes. Buying something that isn’t supported locally is a risk.

Reactions: JMD

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
We see this a fair bit when companies use a third party battery - YT clearly promote the fact that the bikes can be taken to Shimano Service centres, whin IMO is false advertising since (at least from my experience of warrantying two Shimano Motors) the Service centre have to run a diagnostic on the full system first before they can send the faulty part of it back, and they cant do this with third party batteries - multiple articles such as this one mention you just have to take it to shimano for maintenance.

YT Decoy 29 CF Pro Race e-MTB first ride review

"As a direct sales brand, YT claims that having Shimano as motor provider offers its customers some extra reassurance because they can take the motor to a Shimano Service Centre to receive any maintenance the system might need"

It would seem on that front they promise something that cant be delivered.

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
We see this a fair bit when companies use a third party battery - YT clearly promote the fact that the bikes can be taken to Shimano Service centres, whin IMO is false advertising since (at least from my experience of warrantying two Shimano Motors) the Service centre have to run a diagnostic on the full system first before they can send the faulty part of it back, and they cant do this with third party batteries - multiple articles such as this one mention you just have to take it to shimano for maintenance.

"As a direct sales brand, YT claims that having Shimano as motor provider offers its customers some extra reassurance because they can take the motor to a Shimano Service Centre to receive any maintenance the system might need"

This is certainly the most concerning part of it to me, and would like to make more people aware of the situation. They have the battery (and the power switch) 'certified' by shimano, but haven't added to the steps ecosystem, only saying shimano will encompass them in a future update. It seems a lot like the 700wh battery that has been 'coming soon' for the past 14 months.

In my opinion nowhere near as cohesive as a bosh or brose implementation of the ebike powertrain where all components are fixed and speaking the same language. I know they will say the custom battery is for performance reasons (it uses the same cells as a tesla dont you know :rolleyes:) but the Bosch power tube seemingly has the same form factor and 15% more capacity. My money is on that battery being due to Chinese corp that manufacturing them coming up with the lowest price.

inb4 'well dont buy the cheapest ebike available then' - lesson learnt

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands

The issue is that its clearly a shimano fault and they are refusing to sort it out by hiding behind a battery and switch.

The battery just provides voltage and the switch is off and on.

The motor is obviously where the problem is and I bet if changed the problem would be gone.

You can test the battery use a multimeter and if it's right voltage then it should work fine. The fact its hanging on boot up means the motor is not getting past that calibration phase where you cannot touch the pedals.

Shimano need to be stricter with their partners or support the motors without question. This blame game is untenable

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
The issue is that its clearly a shimano fault and they are refusing to sort it out by hiding behind a battery and switch.

The motor is obviously where the problem is and I bet if changed the problem would be gone.

You can test the battery use a multimeter and if it's right voltage then it should work fine. The fact its hanging on boot up means the motor is not getting past that calibration phase where you cannot touch the pedals.

Shimano need to be stricter with their partners or support the motors without question. This blame game is untenable
Haven't tested the battery so cannot attest to which component is at fault, this is above my paygrade Im afriad. However the LBS couldn't fix it and they are one of only a handful of Steps authorised techs in my city. Who would they escalate it to if it was a Shimano error? Their problem was that everything in the system with a shimano label was present in the diagnostic software and nominal, and the two YT components were not even detectable.

Or are you saying the fault is more a business one on behalf of shimano, who should have stricter tolerances for 3rd party componentry? In which case I'd agree.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands

Haven't tested the battery so cannot attest to which component is at fault, this is above my paygrade Im afriad. However the LBS couldn't fix it and they are one of only a handful of Steps authorised techs in my city. Who would they escalate it to if it was a Shimano error? Their problem was that everything in the system with a shimano label was present in the diagnostic software and nominal, and the two YT components were not even detectable.

Or are you saying the fault is more a business one on behalf of shimano, who should have stricter tolerances for 3rd party componentry? In which case I'd agree.
The main cause of problems is always the motor. They arent really serviceable anyway from what I understand.

I'd talk to Madison and see if they will swap the motor.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main cause of problems is always the motor. They arent really serviceable anyway from what I understand.

I'd talk to Madison and see if they will swap the motor.
Ehh? The faults with the battery - when it comes to ebikes systems most faults are relatively minor with thing like failed speed sensors, controllers etc being the most common. Motor failures are actually relatively rare, with a lot of them being due to poor maintenance more than anything else. Battery faults are probably more common, and the wiring between the battery and the motor can also develop faults.

The motors are serviceable to a degree - Shimano always look to repair a motor if they can before warrantying it when it arrives back at them, however more often than not it is more cost effective for them to send out a new one. I have had two motors warrantied with them, and the Service Centres have to do a full diagnostic and check on all the components within the system to check they aren't causing the fault before the motor is sent off - so for example with mine they tried different controllers, batteries, and displays with the motor before sending it off.

The issue here seems pretty straight forward, there's likely an issue with the battery, Shimano cant warranty it because its a YT component, and they can run the diagnostics on it because its made by someone else. The PITA is the bike has to go back to Germany for YT to look at it , because it may be a fault with there battery, and and as outlined in numerous posts in this thread, and many others on this forum and other Forums if you are running a bike with a non shimano battery a Service Center may not be able to help you.

There are many people who have had outstanding service from YT, and others who have not, but its YT's issue to sort out, not Shimano's. Hopefully the new YT Service Center in the UK will help massively with these issue if they crop up.

If anything it would be useful for YT, and the other brands like Norco and Mondraker than use the Simplo batteries to have the ability for them to be warrantied direct as an option rather than going through them first.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Ehh? The faults with the battery - when it comes to ebikes systems most faults are relatively minor with thing like failed speed sensors, controllers etc being the most common. Motor failures are actually relatively rare, with a lot of them being due to poor maintenance more than anything else. Battery faults are probably more common, and the wiring between the battery and the motor can also develop faults.

The motors are serviceable to a degree - Shimano always look to repair a motor if they can before warrantying it when it arrives back at them, however more often than not it is more cost effective for them to send out a new one. I have had two motors warrantied with them, and the Service Centres have to do a full diagnostic and check on all the components within the system to check they aren't causing the fault before the motor is sent off - so for example with mine they tried different controllers, batteries, and displays with the motor before sending it off.

The issue here seems pretty straight forward, there's likely an issue with the battery, Shimano cant warranty it because its a YT component, and they can run the diagnostics on it because its made by someone else. The PITA is the bike has to go back to Germany for YT to look at it , because it may be a fault with there battery, and and as outlined in numerous posts in this thread, and many others on this forum and other Forums if you are running a bike with a non shimano battery a Service Center may not be able to help you.

There are many people who have had outstanding service from YT, and others who have not, but its YT's issue to sort out, not Shimano's. Hopefully the new YT Service Center in the UK will help massively with these issue if they crop up.

If anything it would be useful for YT, and the other brands like Norco and Mondraker than use the Simplo batteries to have the ability for them to be warrantied direct as an option rather than going through them first.

All the faults i know of required a replacement motor or wiring. A faulty battery is easy to diagnose as usually they wont charge or wont power up.

If this i such a problem then Shimano should not allow 3rd party batteries. But i think with the new 630wh we will see bespoke batteries die off.. Hopefully YT gets their unit open soon and this will be a thing of the past

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Maybe you should try and find another UK Decoy owner and swap batteries. Test and see if it creates start-up problems. You could also connect a standard shimano battery to the motor and test. Mybe at Shimano service center. I really doubt the on/off button is the problem. This should be possible to do rirght?

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
If you buy a YT you’ve always to get you a backup bike so you can relaxed ship your YT if something brakes. Just buy a Levo or Rail for your wife and you’re all set. Don’t forget to size up to feel not to cramped („Honey, short bikes are so passé. You’re lookin much better on those M as on the S“). Sizing down a bit on ebikes is not a problem for you as they are usually inherently stable.
I’m pretty comfortable to ride my wife’s Rail in M waiting for my XL Decoy to come back from YT with a hopefully new battery.
Regarding Yari - YT ain‘t tell you no bullshit. Yari and Lyrik with the current DebonAir spring tend to autosag at least 1 cm. This has been purposely fixed in the newest iteration of the spring.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
The most common issue with Decoy's freezing on start up seems to be the battery. Specifically moisture entering the battery. When my Decoy refused to start, simple battery replacement fixed it. So the easiest test would be trying someone else's battery in your bike. Shimano service probably can't help because they don't have means to test the battery properly. If the battery sends error signal or does not send "all clear" signal during the boot up, the system can't function. Ideally there would be a way to test this issue so YT sends just new battery and the customer sends the old one back. However there is a possible issue with this. Decoy's battery uses alu brackets to mount into the frame. While these are easy to remove from the old battery and put onto the new one, this might be an issue vis-a-vis maintaining the warranty. YT may not be willing to risk having customers to do this on their own as a bad job might cause future problems. It could be simpler for them to require shipping the whole bike back to their repair center

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That really sucks. I've thoroughly enjoyed my three YT bikes, and the customer service is excellent here in Canada. I've also taken my Decoy to a Shimano service centre to get the bike checked out/diagnosed. I know that none of that helps you, but perhaps this thread will. My Decoy is now totally problem free (touch wood):
Decoy Hacks??!! - EMTB Forums

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
YT may not be willing to risk having customers to do this on their own as a bad job might cause future problems. It could be simpler for them to require shipping the whole bike back to their repair center

Exactly what happened to me. I was getting the frozen „Shimano steps“ screen and the bike didn’t start. All home measures didn’t help. Despite being clearly a battery issue as the bike worked perfectly with the battery of a buddy, YT insisted I send in the whole bike to fix it.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
It's a weird bug but it seems changing batteries works but then the old battery works too.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
It's a weird bug but it seems changing batteries works but then the old battery works too.
Interesting. I'm not 100% sure but I believe I did try my old battery once more after checking the system with the new one, but it still did not work.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Hi All, as many other have shared on these threads, I'm having a nightmare with my Decoy, I have no faith in the long term reliability of the system and I no longer wish to own the bike. I'm really struggling with my YT experience and was wondering if anyone else here has been through similar and can offer advice.

I bought a YT Decoy in early Feb, and it has been working for about 10 of my 100 days of ownership. There where some delivery issues (aka could see a lot of the bike through the box) that resulted in mech and hangar damage that initially prevented riding, however this wasn't the end of the world, it was fixed in about 3 weeks. The Yari was also only showing 140mm of stanchion and YT maintained that this is due to a new negative air spring design to reduce breakaway force (LOL - obviously it is nonsense that a 160mm travel fork only showing 140mm of stanchion is a design choice). Regardless, I was super excited to get riding so I took their explanation on the chin and got to the woods. And it was crazy fun.

However, since then there has been a recurring fault with the shimano steps system freezing upon startup. After researching it appears that a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. I've tried all suggested at-home fixes and this has amounted to nothing.

Their solution has been to send the bike back to Germany (after finding a new box as mine was destroyed), and that they should be entitled to 3 attempts to resolve the issue before I would be allowed a refund (that the value of which would be contingent on wear and tear too!). They also have massive backlogs due to the current COVID situation so each round trip would be a long time.

Fortunately I live very close to a Shimano Steps authorised repair centre (this is a fairly challenging certification for an LBS to achieve), so I thought instead of sending it to Germany for a month I could see if they could sort it. They fixed the bike by effectively resetting each part of the Steps firmware, but mentioned that the battery and the on/off switch were in-house components and not recognised by the step ecosystem, and that communication errors between the parts were the issue, and that it would likely happen again.

Lo and behold it has quickly broken again and this time resetting the software wont bring it back to life.

The key issue with this bike rests on the YT parts (battery and switch) that have been hastily patched in to the Steps ecosystem, the Steps diagnostic software does not recognise these parts, and YT cannot provide me with an answer for when they will be added to the steps ecosystem, only telling me that the battery is 'certified'. If this had been made this clear during purchase I would have had significant apprehensions before purchasing the bike.

YT is refusing a refund saying they need to opportunity to repair it 3 times (which is guidance in German consumer law but not UK consumer protection), and that the repairs carried out so far do not count towards this total as they cannot attest to the quality of workmanship. To top it all off the LBS (shoutout Mamachari Walthamstow who have been excellent) actually had head the 'Head of Steps engineering UK' in attendance for a staff training seminar and they used my repair as a worked example.

I cant help but feel like I'm left 4 grand out of pocket and I will be left in a cycle of riding a time bomb of a bike that will just continue letting me down.

YT has admitted that they have a 'roadmap' for introducing the parts to the steps ecosystem but they cannot give me a timeframe for when this will happen, which is of zero use to me, and frankly terrible behaviour as a company, they are beta testing a product in the marketplace and its been well over a year since release and they havent acted on it.

Does this seem deeply unreasonable to a 3rd party? I'm not sure if I'm just so invested in the situation I have rage blinders on! I admit that YT themselves haven't had the opportunity to assess the bike yet, but plenty of very qualified technicians have seen it, regardless of YT's assumption they lack the requisite skill.

To top it all off, the last email from Moritz advises me that I will not be getting a refund, and that if any damage occurs during transit it is my responsibility. AND the shipping company is the exact same one that trashed the bike on first attempt. AND that was with a bespoke bike box, not the makeshift thing I'm thrashing together now!!

I have a Shimano steps motor still under warranty I bought my bike from Evans do you know if I can take it to a Shimano steps centre instead of Evans ?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
1. Not starting is usually dirt in the battery connector or charging port. I have had this 2 or 3 times and a quick clean sorts it. YT do not seem to know this .

2. I got my motor swapped (faulty bearings) by the LBS Shimano agent without problem.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
just buy a proper bike bag and ship to yt.. you bought an online sales only bike, suck it up and ship it back to them. It sucks but it is what it is... get on with it and before you know it you will have your bike back. They work great, I have one myself!:).

ship it out, do some cross training... hiking running etc.. get on with your life.. this is just an inconvenience compared to real life problems.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I have a Shimano steps motor still under warranty I bought my bike from Evans do you know if I can take it to a Shimano steps centre instead of Evans ?

Yes you can. The warranty is handled by Madison. You may have to pay another LBS for the labour to swap the motor however. Evans should do it for free.

willshillo

Apr 14, 2020
Australia

My brother has had a similar experience with yt . Non e bike related . But has cracked 3 Jeffsy frames . They replaced two but now won’t reply to him. It’s been 3 months since he’s heard from yt .
terrible customer service and terrible Manufacturing of the frames . The second frame he received . The mould around the head tube looks like a 2 year old moulded it . Very lumpy and uneven .
I wouldn’t go anywhere near yt after his experience .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles