YT Decoy - First E-MTB, your thoughts please....

RIngrey

Jan 16, 2021
England
I'm looking at purchasing a YT Decoy, having looked around at what is currently available there is nothing that comes close in terms of spec and value for money with the accompanying looks as the YT.

For the sake of a few hundred £'s I am torn between the Elite and pro race. Money isn't an issue given that the two are so closely priced.

I am 6 ft and weigh anywhere from 85kg to 95kg. I will be riding mainly trails but don't want to be limited to this based on what bike I choose.

The Elite come with a Fox 38 vs the 36 on the pro race and the weight increase is marginal. Should I opt for the Elite???

Pros & Cons????

I have read a lot about the suceptability of the rear tyres to punctures due to the thin wall casings. What would you recommend???

I appreciate your thoughts as you guys and girls have the experience of ownership that is worth its weight in gold.

Many thanks in advance.

PS. I am also 6' so in-between sizes. Would you opt for the L or XL?

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
I the same as you but about 10kg heavier. I went XL and happy with it. I have it nearly a year and very happy with it overall. Can't speak about the 38 as mine has the 36 forks which to me any way are the best I have ever owned. As far the weight it's an ebike so doesn't matter. I went with eddy current tyres and they also the best I have ever had. Not one puncture on them. The maxis on the rear had its side wall torn first trip out. Bought another on the way home and after 3 punctures I swapped to eddy currents. Only other thing I did was swap rear rotor to 223 as the 200 where blued from heat. One thing the customer service from yt is horrid in my experience. Some people will say covid this and that and it's an online company etc but in the end of the day they should.at least be reachable. I had a small.issue and it took 3 weeks for a response all I needed was a shim!. They gave a voucher ect but I would prefer customer service as per their charter and blurb. I ok doing everything on bike apart from motor failure.

Last edited:

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Looks like the Pro Race was discounted down to £5100 but now out of stock so that leaves you with the Elite or the Pro 29. Out of the 2, I would choose the Pro 29 for value on that motor. And the DT Swiss wheels is a massive plus compared to even carbon non-DT wheels.

I would go for XL (I am 6ft and 90kgs) ; I have a base 29 in XL and it's spot on, the L reach would have felt cramped.

I would go for Eddy Currents tubeless even before fitting the wheels and sell the OE tyres as new with 0 miles.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Have a 2021 Decoy Elite. I am 6' tall, 84kg/185lbs and went with the large. I wanted an emtb that was a little more agile since I also have a Spesh Levo S-Works and opted for the smaller of the 2 sizes. Could have easily gone with the XL and would have bern happy. Running a 50mm Nukeproof Horizon Stem with 5° rise and cockpit doesn't feel cramped. Have my seat back as far as recommended by scribe lines on rails. Have a 32" reach on my arms. If you are doing more Enduro/DH riding may want to consider the XL. As @Maherto stated, the Eddy Currents are awesome tires! Running them on my Levo (2.6" front/rear on 30mm internal rim width). Never had a flat and the hardly show any signs of wear after many rides. Running Michelin E-Wild's 2.6" front/rear on my Decoy with a Cushcore in rear since rear rim width is 35mm and front is 31.5mm width. Really like these tires for my Decoy setup. The Fox 38 is light years ahead of the Fox 36 and wouldn't even consider the 36 on my Decoy for the type of riding I use this bike for. Have the Fox 36 on my Levo and its a good match for trail/amm mountain riding. Made some uogrades on various components that we more a matter of personal preference.

20201114_142629.jpg

20201114_142609.jpg

20201114_142706.jpg

20201114_142727.jpg

20201114_142751.jpg

20201114_142806.jpg

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Have a 2021 Decoy Elite. I am 6' tall, 84kg/185lbs and went with the large. I wanted an emtb that was a little more agile since I also have a Spesh Levo S-Works and opted for the smaller of the 2 sizes. Could have easily gone with the XL and would have bern happy. Running a 50mm Nukeproof Horizon Stem with 5° rise and cockpit doesn't feel cramped. Have my seat back as far as recommended by scribe lines on rails. Have a 32" reach on my arms. If you are doing more Enduro/DH riding may want to consider the XL. As @Maherto stated, the Eddy Currents are awesome tires! Running them on my Levo (2.6" front/rear on 30mm internal rim width). Never had a flat and the hardly show any signs of wear after many rides. Running Michelin E-Wild's 2.6" front/rear on my Decoy with a Cushcore in rear since rear rim width is 35mm and front is 31.5mm width. Really like these tires for my Decoy setup. The Fox 38 is light years ahead of the Fox 36 and wouldn't even consider the 36 on my Decoy for the type of riding I use this bike for. Have the Fox 36 on my Levo and its a good match for trail/amm mountain riding. Made some uogrades on various components that we more a matter of personal preference.

View attachment 50212

View attachment 50213

View attachment 50214

View attachment 50215

View attachment 50216

View attachment 50217

Had a good look round one of these in peaslake few weeks back. It looked awesome

The owner loved it and was very pleased.

They grey in the flesh looks class! Lovely bike mate ??

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I’m 6’2 130ish Kgs got a 2019 pro race xl
Few hundred miles on it. I’ll plough through anything an still on the original tyres with not a single puncture yes that’s right not 1. I don’t mind the stock rubber at all. I do run more pressures as I don’t like the flat tyre feel.
RSCs are good but need frequent bleeding an the 200mm discs are crap. Don’t have any issues with the bike anymore an I love it.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Few hundred miles on it. I’ll plough through anything an still on the original tyres with not a single puncture yes that’s right not 1. I don’t mind the stock rubber at all. I do run more pressures as I don’t like the flat tyre feel.
RSCs are good but need frequent bleeding an the 200mm discs are crap. Don’t have any issues with the bike anymore an I love it.
Pretty much every brake setup is going to be insufficient for A 270 pound guy on a 52 pound bike. Your only hope is saints with 220 rotors and don’t ride anything steep.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pretty much every brake setup is going to be insufficient for A 270 pound guy on a 52 pound bike. Your only hope is saints with 220 rotors and don’t ride anything steep.
Running a Shigura brake set-up the Saint Levers and Magura MT7 calipers, 203mm rotors and they stop on a dime!. I weight 185lbs and can't attest on stopping power for someone at 270lbs.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Running a Shigura brake set-up the Saint Levers and Magura MT7 calipers, 203mm rotors and they stop on a dime!. I weight 185lbs and can't attest on stopping power for someone at 270lbs.
Ya exactly. Throw 2, 45 pound plate weights in your back pack next ride and see how the brakes perform. ???

CraigerC EMTB

May 6, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
Love my 2020 YT Decoy Pro Race - XL - but as is always with “new bike” I had to get everything tuned. Runs great in the steeps here! Powers through the chunk! I'm 6'-0" 200 lbs. - I think the Decoy runs small - I am very happy with the XL! My buddy just got the Elite - sweet bike! His is a size L - a bit small for me. This is it in action! Get your bike & get out and ride!

Carpet Muncher Roll 12-20.jpg
Done:
  • Ergon SM Enduro Comp - great saddle
  • Schwalbe Eddy Current (rear 27.5 x 2.60) - great all around grip
  • ODI ROUGE Lock on grips -super comfortable & lock on is right
  • “Pro tune” for 36 & X2 - Bike Co by “Bitter Joe”- Must have to get the most out of the travel!
  • Galfer 220 mm front rotor with Galfer pro compound pads - gotta stop!
  • Crank Bros Stamp 7 pedals
  • Additional battery - got to have power!
On the way:
  • Shimano Saint M820 brakes – the “Codes” just don’t get it done
  • Galfer 203 mm rear rotor - gotta stop!
  • Maxxis Assegai 29" Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR (front 29 x 2.50) – can't wait to push into that tire!

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales

Haha not to burst ur bubble mate but other than a quick bleed now an then the brakes stop me perfectly from any speed on any hill. if u want proof come riding with me ul see. I live in the Rhondda valleys an that’s all we have is hills, Big hills. Stock discs are shit I fitted galfa 203s an galfa race pads an now they work just fine. my riding buddy has a decoy pro with shimano saints with 203s an stopping power is no better, he binned his codes because he could not be bothered to bleed them lol an he’s about 80ish kgs. I’m a mechanic so it don’t bother me. I run hope v4s on my canyon an they stop me just fine too. Don’t let my weight fool u

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Yep I couldn't stand the frequent bleeding either. Went with Saints and have been happier ever since.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I only have the Code R on the Base 29 and I am still on the factory bleed after 9 months. Perhaps I am lucky but the lever feel hasn't changed. They feel excellent, particularly compared to the Shimano's perpetually changing bite point I had on my XTs before.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Haha not to burst ur bubble mate but other than a quick bleed now an then the brakes stop me perfectly from any speed on any hill. if u want proof come riding with me ul see. I live in the Rhondda valleys an that’s all we have is hills, Big hills. Stock discs are shit I fitted galfa 203s an galfa race pads an now they work just fine. my riding buddy has a decoy pro with shimano saints with 203s an stopping power is no better, he binned his codes because he could not be bothered to bleed them lol an he’s about 80ish kgs. I’m a mechanic so it don’t bother me. I run hope v4s on my canyon an they stop me just fine too. Don’t let my weight fool u

Umm, you're not bursting my bubble, haha. I don't have any emotional investment in your brake setup. I'm glad those brakes are working out for you. ?

I think we're talking about very different scales of descents though. I think that stuff like the codes will work fine for shorter/flatter descents that most people ride (<200m descents, 10% average grades or less). My post was more about 400-1000m type descents with 20+% average grades.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles