Your thoughts on Galfer's new Shark rotors

Has anyone tried the newest Galfer "Shark" fixed brake rotors? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Galfer claims these rotors offer increased braking power, more stability/stiffness, and better resistance to heat/fading.

They are fairly expensive (~$90), come with 2mm thickness in multiple sizes (180, 203, 223mm), and they seem to be targetted for higher-end DH/Enduro markets. They also have a very distinctive (attractive?) shark fin like design! :cool:

I couldn't find many reviews out there yet. So very curious If anyone fitted them and how they compare with other high-end rotor models from other brands.

In your opinion, do these Shark rotors blow the competition out of the water? (pun intended) ;)
Sharkrotor.jpg

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Has anyone tried the newest Galfer "Shark" brake rotors? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

They are fairly expensive (~$90), come with 2mm thickness in multiple sizes (180, 203, 223mm), and they seem to be targetting higher-end DH/Enduro markets. They also have a very distinctive (attractive?) shark fin like design! :cool:

Galfer claims these rotors offer increased braking power, more stability/stiffness, and better resistance to heat/fading.

I couldn't find many reviews out there yet. So very curious If anyone fitted them and how they compare with other high-end rotor models from other brands.

In your opinion, do these Shark rotors blow the competition out of the water? (pun intended) ;)
View attachment 127598
Well they're hardly going to claim otherwise, are they? πŸ˜†

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
I remember watching a Galfer factory tour the other day where they mentioned that they laser cut their higher end rotors as opposed to stamping. I wouldn't mind testing them either. πŸ˜‰

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I remember watching a Galfer factory tour the other day where they mentioned that they laser cut their higher end rotors as opposed to stamping. I wouldn't mind testing them either. πŸ˜‰
I'm willing to bet that they are laser cut to reduce production costs on short runs rather than going to the expense of making dies that can stamp them out. I would like to see the evidence that laser cutting improves the braking performance.

They may of course be made from a different material that gives the extra braking performance. Again, is there any evidence of this?

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have been using Galfer rotors for several years. Here's a good picture after the 2022 Alp trip Galfer vs. Sram HS2. The color of the Sram has already changed quite a bit, i.e. burnt.

IMG_4790.jpg

But I have no experience with the new shark fin model, is that much better than the price suggests.

Thanks, everyone for all the replies so far! (y)

@steve_sordy, on the material they used for the Sharks, here are the specs I found:
  • Made from a proprietary mix of virgin High Carbon 420 stainless steel
  • Heat treated
  • Precise laser cut
  • 2mm thickness
  • Friction ring width 15mm
  • 237g for 223mm disc
  • 168g for 203mm disc
  • Actually made in Spain!

Last edited:

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I'm willing to bet that they are laser cut to reduce production costs on short runs rather than going to the expense of making dies that can stamp them out. I would like to see the evidence that laser cutting improves the braking performance.

They may of course be made from a different material that gives the extra braking performance. Again, is there any evidence of this?
Laser cutting would give a more even edge. Stamping tends to have a rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. Whether that makes any difference or not, who knows. It would be no more precise, put it that way.

I have the Galfer Wave rotors and I have no complaints. I've been using their pads for a while now and I like them.
The Shark ones do seem a bit more expensive, but I wouldn't know if they are worth it.

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
I use the shark rotor on the front, along with Galfer pads. The braking is a little better than with my previous Sram rotor and Golfer pads set up, but its a marginal improvement

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
I've switched 2 of my bikes to the new shark rotors in 223... Mostly because I like the look of them.

They are definitely better than the Shimano ice tech rotors I was running previously, but only marginally. I like the feel the give through the lever, they're much quieter, less fade and more consistent braking power...

Only downside for me is due to the amount of carbon, they do end up with tiny specs of surface rust after a while. Only notice it close up

I'm running XT on one bike TRP Evo DH on the other. Run Sram, Hayes, Magura previously but I'm now a raving fan of the TRP combo

Trust this helps

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have a brand new set that I got from a German site, 223 and 203. Was going to return them as I need some 2.3mm for the V4s I just bought. If anyone wants them for what I paid, Β£120 posted, let me know. Fair bit cheaper than what I've seen them for over here

Fair bit cheaper than what I've seen them for over here
Yep these rotors are kinda pricey. I've seen them recently going for ~70€ (223mm) at several European retailers.

Big fan of the Magura MDRP (220mm, MT5), I'm still unclear it the Shark would really improve my braking performance and somewhat justify the higher price tag! πŸ€”

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I loved the MDR-P (power, feel, lack of braking noise) but there's been a load of us running them and the rivets haved loosened on every one so they rattle like buggery. For that reason I wouldn't recommend

SP SUSPENSION

Mar 1, 2023
Scottsdale, AZ
I have been using Galfer pads/rotors on my roadracing motos, my KTM, and MTB for over 15 years with no complaints. Customer service is fantastic when you have question. I like the Green pads and have been installing quite a few of the Purple (EMTB) pads for our customers as well. The purple pad compound is a derivative of the moped pads they sell. I only noticed a real braking power change years ago when swapping some Shimano out. What I really dig about the galfer is the predictability and ability to trail brake into turns with confidence.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have been using Galfer pads/rotors on my roadracing motos, my KTM, and MTB for over 15 years with no complaints. Customer service is fantastic when you have question. I like the Green pads and have been installing quite a few of the Purple (EMTB) pads for our customers as well. The purple pad compound is a derivative of the moped pads they sell. I only noticed a real braking power change years ago when swapping some Shimano out. What I really dig about the galfer is the predictability and ability to trail brake into turns with confidence.

How do/does "the galfer" helps with the ability to trail brake into turns?

SP SUSPENSION

Mar 1, 2023
Scottsdale, AZ
Irie- it's the predictable manner in which they modulate. Some pads or even brake systems have not had that ability to trust for me that Galfer do. It's a personal opinion of course.

rikidc

Jun 5, 2023
Spain
I have been using Galfer rotors for several years. Here's a good picture after the 2022 Alp trip Galfer vs. Sram HS2. The color of the Sram has already changed quite a bit, i.e. burnt.

View attachment 127632

But I have no experience with the new shark fin model, is that much better than the price suggests.
galfer is in front wheel, sram disc is in rear wheel, so its normal to be more overheated in the rear.

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
Well.
I'm running stock 4 pots SLX 203 front and back
I'm fully loaded with bike at around 150kg.
No issues, plenty of power and reliable.
It's heavy going here and yet still they do ok.
Long down runs with full power braking into drops doesn't seem to fade away.
Much as I'm curious to upgrade if I need to I think I would just go for bigger rotors to start with.
If I'm running 203 do I just change the adapter for a larger rotor?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Let us know how they work out for you. Considering them as well. Maybe if the price drops a bit for black friday later in the month! ;)

I'm now running the Galfer Shark 203mm and have everything dialed in the way I like it. They're paired up with Galfer E-Bike pads in Magura MT7's. The Sharks are running as good as I could hope. Braking is powerful and quiet, and that's what I really care about.

Yesterdays ride ended with seven miles of fast downhill. There was no fade, no squealing despite the water crossings, and modulation was perfectly predictable.

I've been happy with Galfer Wave rotors, but the Sharks look WAY cooler.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Probably about a tenth of a mile or so. Galfer pads on Galfer rotors are quick and easy. I usually give it a couple hard decelerations until I feel improvement. Then I'll boost up the power and ride one brake at a time. That usually results in substantial improvement. Then I'll do a couple more hard stops, to make sure it's giving me the degree of braking where I"ll be comfortable on a steep descent.

After a few passes in front of my house, it's good-to-ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles