Some thoughts on Jumping

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I think that compensating for the hit to both wheels on a smaller ramp and correcting position in the air on a bigger take off are where people struggle, me included.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I think that compensating for the hit to both wheels on a smaller ramp and correcting position in the air on a bigger take off are where people struggle, me included.
Same as the birds dilemma to have to learn how to fly before they learn how to land. Also reminds the suicidal will of the terrorists that wanted to learn to fly a 767 and did not care about landing those things…

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
The bike he's on has front-heavy geo. He needs to adapt by shifting his weight rearward more. He was trying to take the jump while neutral--doing that would be like trying to jump just any regular commuter car off a ramp, Evel Knievel style. This is dangerous without trying to balance out the front-heavy engine to have the car fly level.

Someone who doesn't know how a properly executed technique should feel has to deal with this obstacle on top of trying to learn. IMO, they should lend the Canyon Stoic to him, or maybe the Polygon Siskiu T8.

Bike geo legit holds people back. There are things you wouldn't do on one bike but not another. Some people think that's due to travel, but it's more due to geo and predictability.

Sam Pilgrim's held back greatly by cheap bikes. Doing "normal" stuff usually pushes him to his comfort zone limits. His first upgrade is usually the fork to give him predictability and confidence; after that, the front is writing checks that the rest of the bike can't cash.

The beginner is soaking up the jump, in order to not catch air, since he has the trauma of almost going over-the-bar, by the end of the session. Neil has tried resorting to teaching basics, which is pretty wise. J-hops are a good place to get comfortable with air time too.

Last edited:

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I think jumping comes later in your cycling career and Gmbn put toon much effort into finding a noob. Poor Niel didn't stand a chance. ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Another practise session this time with my Levo Comp rather than the Whyte e180 ......and a different location with a hard surface.
I felt I made some progress on a few of the runs keeping the front wheel higher and keeping my legs strong until the bike hit the lip..........it didnt happen everytime but I got to feel the difference. Still not much downslope in this location so I still had to land nearly to flat. The Levo certainly felt easier ( I guess it is a bit of a conflict,expecting a bike like the E180, set up as I have it, to be super willing to do the exact opposite of what it is great at...........staying stable and planted no matter how fast and rough it gets!!)

(649) Levo Jump - YouTube

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Another practise session this time with my Levo Comp rather than the Whyte e180 ......and a different location with a hard surface.
I felt I made some progress on a few of the runs keeping the front wheel higher and keeping my legs strong until the bike hit the lip..........it didnt happen everytime but I got to feel the difference. Still not much downslope in this location so I still had to land nearly to flat. The Levo certainly felt easier ( I guess it is a bit of a conflict,expecting a bike like the E180, set up as I have it, to be super willing to do the exact opposite of what it is great at...........staying stable and planted no matter how fast and rough it gets!!)

(649) Levo Jump - YouTube
YES ! an old bloke who should know better ;)
looking good mate, I have no advice for you cos I'm a shit jumper but I love to see you doing it.. keep the vids coming and keep the rubber side down ;) (until you learn to whip I guess)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
YES ! an old bloke who should know better ;)
looking good mate, I have no advice for you cos I'm a shit jumper but I love to see you doing it.. keep the vids coming and keep the rubber side down ;) (until you learn to whip I guess)
I have watched yours as well mate.
What I am finding with repeated sessions on the ramp plus reviewing the videos, is that I am beginning to get a better understanding of the various coaching videos on you tube. I think you have to experience the jumps even if they are wrong to be able to relate to coaching of the right technique.
I like the Kyle and April videos. I have shortened his kicker ramp tips to just 3 easy things to focus on which I reckon will help me most.
1 Extend just when the front wheel reaches the end of the ramp (straight legs and arms)
2. Extend up and slightly forward
3 As you Extend roll forward on the pedals...ie toes down.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have watched yours as well mate.
What I am finding with repeated sessions on the ramp plus reviewing the videos, is that I am beginning to get a better understanding of the various coaching videos on you tube. I think you have to experience the jumps even if they are wrong to be able to relate to coaching of the right technique.
I like the Kyle and April videos. I have shortened his kicker ramp tips to just 3 easy things to focus on which I reckon will help me most.
1 Extend just when the front wheel reaches the end of the ramp (straight legs and arms)
2. Extend up and slightly forward
3 As you Extend roll forward on the pedals...ie toes down.
yes, and like you I found that flatter more linear takeoff's are far easier to manage whearas the radiused jumps that I was building are a pain and really hard to get used to. I am rebuilding my jumps right now and will be tackling them with Sam in the near future.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yes, and like you I found that flatter more linear takeoff's are far easier to manage whearas the radiused jumps that I was building are a pain and really hard to get used to. I am rebuilding my jumps right now and will be tackling them with Sam in the near future.
not sure I said flat ramps are easier than a kicker but they are certainly different. The flat ramp gives very little natural lift so you have to put a lot more rider input into it than on the kicker. I do think the timing is more critical on the kicker though. I actually prefer the ramp set up with a radius ( ie a mild kicker) and that is the setting I am using all the time now because it more closely emulates the sort of ramps I meet on my regular forest trails. I suspect you would be just better off building your new ramps with less radius but not flat.........ie a mild kicker as opposed to a full kicker which I reckon cn be a bit dangerous until you have good technique!!

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
0918211051_HDR.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles