What are your thoughts on invisiframe?

SGH

May 8, 2018
Tongham
I am waiting to pick up my new bike, while on youtube I came across invisiframe. A clear wrap which covers the bike to protected paintwork.

Has anyone done this and would you recommend doing it?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi there SGH,

The Invisframe product is excellent, but quite expensive.

If you are not in a hurry I think you would be better off buying some 3M helicopter tape and cutting/applying the tape to the frame yourself.

3M tape is still quite expensive... It will cost about £30-40 to cover the main components on a regular emtb.

Invisiframe is about £70-80 for a kit, I don't think the product used in their kits is 3M though.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

ATB

Frank

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
It is probably not a bad idea to use protective tape in key spots. I haven't used an Invisiframe kit, but I purchased something similar and have placed some under the downtube/headstem area, as I carry my bike on the back of my ute.

I am also a bit paranoid with the rub points so I use some microfiber also.

20180415_072727.jpg

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
I recently spend an entire day (literally!!) with 3M Helicopter tape and managed to get completed around half what an invisframe kit would cover. Marking and cutting out all the pieces I needed took so long and I soon lost the will to live. Invisiframe did not do a kit for my bike, hence the DIY approach.

Would I cover a new bike again? Yes - Definitely worth the protection it offers.

Would I use an Invisiframe kit? Absolutely I would! Worth evert penny as far as I'm concerned.

SGH

May 8, 2018
Tongham
Thank you for your replies. Cisco, Tori & ChrisP, It is always nice to get great feedback.

I know what I will be buying today!?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ve just removed a lot of the of the kit I made last year for my daughters bike , like Chris I spent ages making and applying 3m helitape . The bike really gets a hard life , I’ve rebuilt it twice in the year . The helitape began to look a mess after a few months with mud getting under edges and it became scratched up , however it has protected the carbon frame well and the frame now looks good with the tape removed
The smaller bits I spent ages on around chain stays I dont think I could bother with again , we now tape up high wear areas with gorilla tape or wide insulating take and replace it when it wears . This has become the preferred method for all the bikes now .

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I use an AMS kit to protect my top tube, and Slapper tape to protect the inner chainstay, but beyond that I'm not worried about marks, scratches etc.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Invisiframe fan here for my Levo - went on well, nice to have the correct shapes cut for you. Still looking great.
Hard pushed to notice it when it’s on....

57265C5E-DC5F-43B9-ABF6-3094EA336CAA.jpeg

7AAC22CD-6E09-49FF-843E-5C311827D036.jpeg

3489C553-8BB2-490F-B8BD-CD634CC63185.jpeg

SGH

May 8, 2018
Tongham
Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback. Everyone is sooo friendly and helpful. As a newbie to EMTB and I haven't been off road riding in 18 years, every little helps!

I haven't ordered as yet. I am just wanting to find out when I will receive my new bike. Hopefully this weekend.

Rob after I posted this I saw your video, yes very cheesy but very helpful. Ps which bike workstation do you use? I have heard due to the weight of the bike, some full over! Yours seems really sturdy.

Regards
SGH

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback. Everyone is sooo friendly and helpful. As a newbie to EMTB and I haven't been off road riding in 18 years, every little helps!

I haven't ordered as yet. I am just wanting to find out when I will receive my new bike. Hopefully this weekend.

Rob after I posted this I saw your video, yes very cheesy but very helpful. Ps which bike workstation do you use? I have heard due to the weight of the bike, some full over! Yours seems really sturdy.

Regards
SGH
Just a cheap Halfords stand. Nothing special.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have an ALDI stand that was under 30 quid, pretty sure its the same as the halfords one, and it holds up my Vitus fine, though i wouldn't want to put anything too much heavier on it, and i keep the top at its lowest extension.

On a carbon bike i think invisiframe is almost a must, on an aluminium not so fussed. I quite like a few battle scars! On mine i have some tape on the bottom of the down tube, mainly because if i need to lift the bike over a gate or style, and given the extra weight, i have a place i can rest if without worrying about scratching the bike if things get awkward

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Did my own DIY protection...worked out shapes for the main areas to protect, drew them out and went to my local sign/tinted windows guy who supplied Venture Shield and cut it to my dimensions all for £20. Still took me nearly all day to fit.
OK its not as thorough as invisi but does the job..
Have fun all

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Everyone has their own preference, but I'm not going to bother with Invisiframe. I've ordered a bash guard to protect my motor housing, and I have put some clear tape just under the downtube near the headstem, because I carry my bike on a 4x4 ute . . . and that would be a possible wear point.

Scratches don't bug me too much, each will tell a story and I'm not particularly concerned about resale value, I'd rather take my bike out and not treat it with kid-gloves . . . just ride the tits off it and have a good time.

The first scratch is always the hardest. Get that out of the way, and it becomes easier.

Mind you, I am keeping my bike meticulously washed and cleaned and I will be maintaining the drivetrain and brakes.

I also ride dirt-bikes and supermoto, and scratches and dings are part of the game. I have a 2017 Beta 300RR that absolutely rips; and I stack it quite often. The first drop in the rocks hurt my feelings, but after that, you realise the damage is nearly always cosmetic and not a huge deal.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I've only put tape on frames for cable rubs in the past, the rest of it I don't worry about, like scars, frame abuse tells stories.... it's one reason I used to prefer buying naked aluminum frames, no paint to fret over. Unfortunately, ball burnished frames have gone out of fashion.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Yep, you aren’t wrong - in my case it was “I’ve just spent more than I have ever spent on a toy, I may as well protect it before I use it, before it is too late....”

- then the first scratch/gouge I get is about the only place I didn’t wrap ?
That’s the perfectly un-touched Invisiframe finishing on the left....
C’est La vie.....?

3971112E-1E1B-4B49-9339-FDFF5ED807D5.jpeg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
So the Caterham is not a toy?????? Where does that put my Exige S1. No chance of a bike rack on that.
Have fun

SGH

May 8, 2018
Tongham
I have just completed my invisiframe, looks good. Really enjoyed doing it as well.

Thank you for everyone’s posts. Now time to get some miles on the bike!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I helitape my frames usually, don't bother cutting it out, just fit it and stretch it with a heat gun to fit, then trim with a Stanley blade. Takes a fair while, but usually works OK.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Late to this thread but I will add, my Evil looks as are good as new after 3 years, I can't recommend Invisiframe enough... pity I had no patience for my Vitus, as that's looks quite shabby after 5 months.

Kath Harpley

Apr 9, 2019
Whitby
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add to it, after my experience with Invisiframe which I purchased for a Specialized Levo. When it arrived, before handling any of the pieces I carefully looked at each piece again the bike. It became clear that several pieces did not fit. This bike was a 'late 2019' model and I just happened to have an 'early 2019' model to compare it against. I have worked in textile pattern design and so have some understanding of these things. I could clearly see that there are factory fitted helitape on both identical bikes but on the newer bike there was more pieces and in some cases bigger pieces. This meant that the Invisiframe kit I had been sent was designed for the older model and 'not millimetre perfect 'as the company states, as they had failed to alter their patterns to the newer bike. On top of this they say that it is a full wrap but in actual fact, pieces are designed to cover the outside of the seat and chain stays only guarding against shoe scuffs. As they do not fully wrap around the stays the inside is still going to get trashed by stones and cr*p coming off the wheel. Sadly disappointed with the product on 2 levels. I phoned them, expecting them to be helpful regarding the change of design but they practically called me and later my hubbie liars, even though I sent photos of the 2 bikes showing the factory fitted helitape. They then suggested I remove the factory fitted helitape, even though their supplied kit does not have pieces to replace it. I have been a small manufacturing company and I fully appreciate the cost of mistakes and returns. However, my attitude as a supplier, would have been to thank the customer for bringing it to my attention so I could rectify it and avoid further complaints and I would than have graciously made amends, knowing that person would happily recommend my product. They very reluctantly and ungraciously agreed to refund. They did not even offer to pay my return postage of £8. I then went on to purchase the 3M 8671 HS Polyurethane Tape 100mm tape from Self Adhesive Supplies. They sell it as 1metre rolls, but when my order arrived it was actually in one 4 metre roll which was ideal. New customers get 10% discount and free next day delivery over £30. Cost me about £50. I got a much better job than Invisiframe, after some careful cutting, all the frame was covered, inside and outside. Really sorry to give Invisiframe a bad review as small companies should be helped. Equally, small companies should offer an excellent customer experience and I did not get that. I didn't expect miracles, just an apology and an offer to make amends.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I did all the frame protection work when I first got my. Focus ....very proud chappie I was (am).....after 2k miles and numerous falls and scrapes i now seriously doubt the effectiveness of the protection....the bike (and rider) are subject to significant hits and bashes ,many scratching through the protection and many where there is no protection at all....in the end I doubt if the resale value is any different .
Provided one does efficient cleaning and regular maintenance the bike will stay in good shape anyway.
If I ever get my “gearbox “ bike I wont bother with frame protection....but just ride it more.
As ‘er indoors says. “Its only a bike”. (She doesnt know the cost though!):censored::geek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles