Thoughts on Di2?

Casper007

Apr 26, 2020
New Zealand
So I have my first ebike on the way, a YT Decoy. I have been watching some YouTube videos and I saw that it was relatively easy to add Di2 to an ebike (the clip had the Shimano motor too which was very much plug and play).

I have Di2 on my road bikes and love it, but I’ve always thought it wasn’t really needed on a mountain bike.

I then looked around and I have found an XT Di2 shifter and derailleur that have been used 4 times for sale for about €200.

It would be more of a “just because” purchase since it seems like a good deal and the battery and other bits and pieces normally required aren’t needed with an ebike, but what are people’s opinions on Di2 on mountain bikes? Awesome and makes a big difference or overkill and not worth it?

Last edited:

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
I had Di2 on another e-bike and loved it, but would MUCH rather have a cable rear mech as I have at the moment, simply because it's so much more fixable than e-shifters. And cheaper to replace! Go Di2 if you ride modest trails and want to spend money, but stay with cables if you ride hard.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I do like mine but it is not necessary. Never rode with di2 before I bought my decoy race, an tbh I thought when ordering it I might just take it off as I seen lots of people disliking it or complaining about the switch/shifter. For me tho so far so good. If u want it get it

davemcc1248

Jan 1, 2020
northern ireland
My spectral on came with NX eagle between broken mechs and poor shifting find the cassette get easily bent as well. Got a xt di2 shift, slx cassette, chain, di2 cable and button shifter all for £300 easy to setup have had about 8 rides know shifting is much better.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
What I like about my Di2 is that the shifter is so much neater and matches the mode selector for the motor on the left (E7000 both sides). It shifts beautifully too. Needed? Possibly not but it is a neat thing.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve always felt, and this is my personal opinion only, that Di2 was a solution looking for a problem.

On an e-bike that already weighs as much as a supertanker full of moons, you can’t even cite weight savings.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
out of interest will the Di2 protect your gears on an e bike? i.e will it stop being a nugget and shifting under full load?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles