• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

XT Deore rear derailleur jumping under load

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
I'm on my 3rd ride of Canyon Strive CFR (it's great) and my chain is jumping and not engaging when I pedal hard in the smallest two cogs. I did bump the derailleur on a trail feature halfway through the ride, but this started before this happened. What should I check? Could the cage or the derailleur hanger be bent?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Jumping under load in my experience could be any of the following:

Gears not set up right
Derailleur B gap not set right
Bent derailleur hanger
Bent derailleur cage
Worn cassette

I guess start with whatever is cheapest nd easiest to rule out. Emtbs especially suffer from worn cassettes down on the smaller cogs as they get used the most and wear the quickest and then start jumping under load.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
indexing usually needs to be a djusted after a couple of rides mostly due to cable stops etc all relaxing a bit.........2 or 3 clicks anti clockwise of the adjuster on the changer usually does the trick.

Alan O

Jul 26, 2022
London
I'm on my 3rd ride of Canyon Strive CFR (it's great) and my chain is jumping and not engaging when I pedal hard in the smallest two cogs. I did bump the derailleur on a trail feature halfway through the ride, but this started before this happened. What should I check? Could the cage or the derailleur hanger be bent?
Had exactly the same issue in a couple of cogs slightly higher up, after trying all the normal things - indexing the gears, checking derailleur was not bent and aligned correctly even put new chain on etc put the problem persisted.
Out of ideas to solve this issue I decided to remove the cassette and check everything and build it back up, I found the problem as soon as I removed the cassette and inspected it, one of the rivets on the spider holding the cogs in place had sheared causing the cog to move slightly under heavy load and the chain to slip/jump.
Unfortunately I had to shell out for a new cassette.
Hopefully this is helpful.
Alan O

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Had exactly the same issue in a couple of cogs slightly higher up, after trying all the normal things - indexing the gears, checking derailleur was not bent and aligned correctly even put new chain on etc put the problem persisted.
Out of ideas to solve this issue I decided to remove the cassette and check everything and build it back up, I found the problem as soon as I removed the cassette and inspected it, one of the rivets on the spider holding the cogs in place had sheared causing the cog to move slightly under heavy load and the chain to slip/jump.
Alan O
Sounds like a quite hard to spot issue. I think I’ve resolved my issue and likely down to a stretched cable and indexing needed. Going for a ride and will post the result here.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Well I’ve gone through the screws and indexing. It’s much better, but I’m still getting the chain to jump in the highest gear under load and it doesn’t sound great in the lowest gear. I’m now trying to figure out what mech hanger I need to replace.

Any ideas?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
are you saying that the cassette only has three rides on it? If so check the lock ring on the cassette and that cogs are aligned properly if it's micro spline.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Alan O
Sheared rivet is a warranty claim. I had all three rivets
shear and got a new cassette by return post after sending a few pics. That was a Shimano cassette 18 months old (bought from CRC).

Alan O

Jul 26, 2022
London
Sheared rivet is a warranty claim. I had all three rivets
shear and got a new cassette by return post after sending a few pics. That was a Shimano cassette 18 months old (bought from CRC).
Thanks for the reply/advice, I will contact Shimano with a warranty claim, hopefully will be successful.
Alan

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Being in the wrong gear and pedalling hard in the two lowest cogs will wear it quickly and make it skip.
This is due to the extra force applied from the motor assist.
You can't be slack on the gears just because the assistance is there. This is a common fault when people transition to Ebikes.
Your lower cog is probably a 10T it is too small for ebike.
Check the B tension screw to make sure you are getting the maximum chain wrap around the smaller cogs.
Changing to a Linkglide drive train will greatly improve durability and chain wrap.

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Being in the wrong gear and pedalling hard in the two lowest cogs will wear it quickly and make it skip.
You can't be slack on the gears just because the assistance is there. This is a common fault when people transition to Ebikes.
Check the B tension screw to make sure you are getting the maximum chain wrap around the smaller cogs.
Changing to a Linkglide drive train will greatly improve durability and chain wrap.
The concern I have is I had no issues on my previous ebike and putting a similar load with no issues. The cassette and the chain have been replaced, but still experience the same issue. Canyon then thought it may be hub engagement. Everything has been checked and tightened up again, and it seems to have resolved the problem. Going for a ride this Sunday and will see.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
10 tooth is absolutely not too small for an ebike but shifting can be a factor. In fact, a 10 tooth can be very useful on an ebike.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Did this get sorted?
I've been dealing with it on a TranceE - SLX/XT 1x11 speed. 11T cog was knackered - a new one fixed it.
With about 700 miles on the bike the chain was stretched, and small cog hammered. I blew up the whole derailleur on the trail so everything got replaced - hanger, derailleur, front guide, chain, shift cable, and cassette. Shifting like butter again.

I never use the 46t cog so I replaced the cassette with a 11-42. You can set the derailleur a lot closer with 'b-screw' and it shifts a lot better. The XT derailleur is actually a pretty nice unit. I would like to upgrade the shifter from the SLX to at least a XT - you get two-position upshifting with it - one and two gears per click. The SLX is just one. Downshifting is still at least a couple if you push the lever all the way. I like it - I have a SRAM Eagle on my OCCAM and it's just one gear at a time both ways.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would like to upgrade the shifter from the SLX to at least a XT - you get two-position upshifting with it - one and two gears per click. The SLX is just one. Downshifting is still at least a couple if you push the lever all the way. I like it - I have a SRAM Eagle on my OCCAM and it's just one gear at a time both ways.
My XT shifter will shift 4 gears in one press, but only when moving to bigger gears. It's not something I find the need for very often. It releases to smaller gears one at a time, but it's rapid. I started off with an XT mech as well, but when it broke in half, I could only get an SLX one. I couldn't tell the difference in use, so I have stuck with SLX.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
One of them has a two-position click for upshift multiples - can't be sure which one, but I would like that one.
I watched a lot of vids on the four Deore levels and afterwhile it's just all a blur. LOL

Did the OP get their issue ironed out?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
One of them has a two-position click for upshift multiples - can't be sure which one, but I would like that one.
I watched a lot of vids on the four Deore levels and afterwhile it's just all a blur. LOL

Did the OP get their issue ironed out?
I run a XTR shifter on a 12speed that you can go 3 gears at once works awesome when you have everything dialed!

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
I did get all my gears replaced and it's working well. Got a XT cassette and it fixed the jumping in 11th gear, so that's obviously a worn cog. Ordered another 11T cog for my other wheel set. I have a full extra set of wheels with more road-worthy tires - smart sams, and then the dirt set with tubeless minions. Installed a new KMC E11 chain - ebike rated. Very easy to install - comes with a missing link, I had the plier tool.

Evidently the XT cassette is a little more refined than the SLX - I have one of each now. Seems to shift just a little smoother, very quiet. I may opt for another XT set. They're pretty cheap from aliexpress - $36 for a 11 speed SLX and $56 for a XT. They arrive from china in about a week. I gave $90 for a XT from Jensons, amazon wasn't any cheaper.

Another interesting parts tidbit...the hanger. Ordered one from amazon, a PILO and I thought it was some kind of china knock-off, and it got delayed, so I ordered another one from derailleur hanger dot com whom claims to make their own super duty and extra strong hangers. It arrived quickly, cost just a hair more, and low and behold has the same PILO brand stamped in it! So they are either their brand, or they're sourcing them from the same place. Not sure how they might compare to a Giant OEM. It did install perfectly and now I have a spare.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles