• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Dead rear derailleur?

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Is my rear derailleur bunk? Looks like the cage is twisted to buggery. Is there anyway to save it, maybe by replacing the cage?

IMG_4558 copy.jpg
IMG_4559 copy.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bent derailleur hangers are fixed with a hanger alignment tool, and they do it very well. It fixes all sorts of irritating shifting problems that do not respond to other measures.

But your mech itself is bent. I'm not saying that the hanger isn't bent, just that fixing that alone will not solve your problem.

Remove the mech and attempt to straighten the lower section only. Don't hit it with a big hammer, use a sustained pressure. The upper section may also be bent but it's not shown in the photos. Once you have given it your best attempt, then refit and use a hanger alignment tool to sort out the rest of the problems, or get your LBS to do the alignment job for you.

Alignment tools are £35-£60 and they don't look much, but they are the only thing that will do the job well. Once you have bought one, you will have it for life and can use it on any bicycle. I spent £10 at the bike shop on each of 3 separate occasions before I bought an alignment tool. I don't regret spending the money one bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles