• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Derailleur Pulleys for SLX Deore 11-speed

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi, I'm looking to replace my jockey wheels for my SLX 11-spd. I can find the standard ones very cheap, but they have no bearings. Is it at all useful to have less friction pulleys on an e-mtb? If so any recommendation on which ones to buy? p.s. not looking to spend 50 euro's on pulleys then I go for the cheap ones ;)

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi, I'm looking to replace my jockey wheels for my SLX 11-spd. I can find the standard ones very cheap, but they have no bearings.

Are you sure? They should look like this (Sorry New Zealand link) there are bearings there..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So long as the bolt bore is the same diameter and width to your pulley wheel bolts you can fit very cheap shimano bushing pulley wheels to your 11s slx mech.
There's not actually a hugely noticable difference in performance between their cheapest (bushing) and most expensive (bearing) options.
although the bushing versions G-pulley (top/guide pulley wheel) does have lateral float. This is a festure designed to allow allow the chain to derrail from sprocket to sprocket more smoothly when shifted by the mech and require slightly less need for such precise cable adjustment and IMO allows the machined cassette sprocket profiles and shifting patterns to do their job less clunkily than a fixed (non floating) pulley .
Bushings do tend to wear a little quicker than bearings. But this also depends on how well looked after and cleaned/lubed the drivetrain is. As well as how careless you are with the jet wash 😏. With clutch mechs I find the plastic teeth tend to wear faster than the bushings so they need replacing from that rather than excessive additional play. And the plastic teeth on Shimano's bearing jockey wheels wear at a similar rate anyway.

Hope this helps someone.
But MOAR importantly doesn't cause anyone to have to reach for their blood pressure pills as I've derrailled yet another thread adding all these nerdy counterpoints to the discussion.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles