Worst thing you bought for your Ebike .

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Good points, I still think weight of bike loads and stresses everything a lot more than similar class of bike that is much lighter, since I don’t have the same failure issues on regular bike. Ebike just accelerates wear faster I think due to more miles/vertical per year as well.
I really don't think it's the weight, assuming the construction is such that it accounts for the weight. If it's built and sprung well enough the weight is moot. It's just engineering, right? A 140kg moto doesn't snap all the time, because it's built right. The second point though, that Ebike just accelarates wear, is an absolute certainty though. But I think comparing to a eMtb to a non-e bike well there's a lot of simplicity in the design making the analog more robust. Longevity of the old school bike is going to be superior. I mean you talk about breaking motor parts over and over and on the analog bike that whole thing is replaced by a simple, strong, tried and true bottom bracket, just for one example.

Bontrager carbon wheels likely not strong enough for heavy duties especially since I cracked Alu Race Face HD wheel at nipple following Bontrager Comp Alu roasted in two weeks (rear of getting). Cracked tester heavy duty carbon rim (with CushCore and 30 rear psi, 2-ply tires) within two weeks that weighed closed to 600g/rim like SC Reserve. On another heavier duty, thicker rim (650g/rim), 38/33mm with thick ass sidewalls and heavy use over past 4 months, no cracks, just superficial fissuring of top layer of carbon from rock strike not long after wheelbuild. Thing still holding great and excellent stiffness and support for high speed e-blasting on varied terrain.
First two are alloy and yeah I'd break them too, though not immediately as I'd run cushcore. The second sounds like unbranded and it being as strong as a SC Reserve seems unlikely. If it truly is as stong as SC Reserve and you just annihilated it, then I take my hat off to you, you must be absolutely bombing down World Cup style gnar, in which case you're well beyond taking any wheel advice from a mere mortal like me :) I will not recommend wheels further... lol

If you experienced no premature failures of Fuel-Exe during your period of testing, I am fairly optimistic that bike was designed well and durable enough for general trail riding duties. If you have experienced issues, please comment if you care to
Oh for sure it's going to be OK for general trail duties. I did have a display fail about 3 weeks in. Trip across town to the bike shop and they fitted a new one they stole from a showroom bike. The motor was fine for that 500km - just some weird grinding noises. There is a good EXe megathread here if you haven't seen it go have a look. But I wasn't putting down the EXe; I was only talking about the EXe because you said it was time for a redesign of the Rail like the EXe. That seems like a likely event, and I was just saying I wouldn't expect that to be any tougher than a Bosch equipped bike. Everyone seems keyed about getting a TQ Rail but I'd be happy to see it stay Bosch :)

The EXe is fine, but it's a lot more Trail than the Rail - the Rail itself being just "heavy trail" or "light enduro" in my book. I had a Knolly Fugitive a while back running at 140/120mm and I honestly think it was as capable as the EXe, though admittedly I didn't back to back ride them. Felt about the same on my local descents. The Rail is much burlier, much more than the difference in travel. As for the TQ motor in the EXe I'll be surprised if it ends up more durable than a Bosch unit. Time will tell, the jury is not out on that. Maybe it will be. None of which matters for general trail duties, it's a fine bike for that, just chewin' the fat about motors.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
FWIW, my buddy has +60 lb Kenevo with constant loosening of pivot bolts following rides, sometimes only one ride despite proper torque and locktite.
Well, yeah I wasn't really recommending the Kenevo or the Sam2, just using them as examples of bigger burlier bikes. I think if I had need I'd be looking at the Sam2, looks like a tank, I did consider one for a while because great value spec too, but it's just too much for around here.
I still think, lighter, more efficient ebikes is the way to go, given parts meet the demand. FWIW, I never cracked my Rail, they just replaced front and rear triangle eventually due to concerns for alignment due to power cutting out and rear ABP bearing wore into frame despite bearing replacement every 4-6 months with no/minimal wet weather riding.
I agree totally that FFs need to try to be lighter (my Rail is 22.7). But I jumped on the lightweight bandwagon with the EXe and found it wasn't for me. That's not to say anyone else shouldn't love it! I just like to go fast uphill and have a burly build.

Was your Rail alloy then I guess?
I am excited to see what the new Rail looks like with, especially applying some of the new tech and design they did with Fuel Exe. Bike should be 170/160 min travel of course like Slash and like a bit more torque on motor.
Kind of hoping they keep the Rail around the same and add another bigger travel Slash-like bike. Personally I wouldn't get the bigger bike, I don't have trails that need it so it'd be less fun for me than the Rail. I could maybe go 160mm but my Orbea Wild was that travel and it was a bit too much soak for me, bit too much monster truck for our trails. Trek might be able to do 160 with a bit more snap than the Orbea had I guess.

I'd rather the Bosch Smart System than the TQ setup on the EXe even with a bit more grunt - hands down. It's interesting that the TQ 120Nm motor didn't get picked up by Trek. Maybe it will, and maybe that depends a lot on how the relationship goes between the companies with the EXe. Now 120Nm, if it's reliable... now that might just be something hard to go past. Haibike was using that motor and they appear to now not be. Curious...

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Well, yeah I wasn't really recommending the Kenevo or the Sam2, just using them as examples of bigger burlier bikes. I think if I had need I'd be looking at the Sam2, looks like a tank, I did consider one for a while because great value spec too, but it's just too much for around here.

I agree totally that FFs need to try to be lighter (my Rail is 22.7). But I jumped on the lightweight bandwagon with the EXe and found it wasn't for me. That's not to say anyone else shouldn't love it! I just like to go fast uphill and have a burly build.

Was your Rail alloy then I guess?

Kind of hoping they keep the Rail around the same and add another bigger travel Slash-like bike. Personally I wouldn't get the bigger bike, I don't have trails that need it so it'd be less fun for me than the Rail. I could maybe go 160mm but my Orbea Wild was that travel and it was a bit too much soak for me, bit too much monster truck for our trails. Trek might be able to do 160 with a bit more snap than the Orbea had I guess.

I'd rather the Bosch Smart System than the TQ setup on the EXe even with a bit more grunt - hands down. It's interesting that the TQ 120Nm motor didn't get picked up by Trek. Maybe it will, and maybe that depends a lot on how the relationship goes between the companies with the EXe. Now 120Nm, if it's reliable... now that might just be something hard to go past. Haibike was using that motor and they appear to now not be. Curious...
Yeah, my Rail set up 170/157 coil for travel, so I push the bike kind of hard. Fuel Exe would be lighter duty travel bike set 160/140 with intention to pedal/ride similar to my regular bike (Hightower).

I will check out the Sam.

Bosch not bad, but I don’t need all the power as I never ride above Tour mode and think it zaps my battery fast due to higher torque. Can only get about 3,000ft/battery max with some time in ECO as well. Why often pack a 2nd battery on rides unless shorter ride

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
my Rail set up 170/157 coil for travel
Hmm, I wonder if there could possibly be a link between the 157 rear and the coil stanchion problem you mentioned? Or perhaps the frame alignment issue, or bearing wear? :)

Surprised they warrant it all for you. Do you put the standard stroke on before you take it in or did they just not notice? :)

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Hmm, I wonder if there could possibly be a link between the 157 rear and the coil stanchion problem you mentioned? Or perhaps the frame alignment issue, or bearing wear? :)

Surprised they warrant it all for you. Do you put the standard stroke on before you take it in or did they just not notice? :)
All good, ask Rob (EMTB) 😁. Just running extra 2.5mm stroke, as long as no frame contact on full compression, all good. Ran stock configuration only prior to frame/motor replacements. The alignment thing was a hoax and just local Trek shop where bought bike chasing their tails trying to resolve especially after battery alignment bracket install and “fix” by Trek that really does nothing. Power shorts coming from extra tolerance with shoddy RIB battery/frame design. Why heavier duty riders have to use tension secure straps so nothing jostles about when bike pushed hard on trail. Most “Nancy” (timid) riders like my buddy on his Rail 5 don’t have these issues.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
All good, ask Rob (EMTB) 😁. Just running extra 2.5mm stroke, as long as no frame contact on full compression, all good. Ran stock configuration only prior to frame/motor replacements. The alignment thing was a hoax and just local Trek shop where bought bike chasing their tails trying to resolve especially after battery alignment bracket install and “fix” by Trek that really does nothing. Power shorts coming from extra tolerance with shoddy RIB battery/frame design. Why heavier duty riders have to use tension secure straps so nothing jostles about when bike pushed hard on trail. Most “Nancy” (timid) riders like my buddy on his Rail 5 don’t have these issues.
As stated, loved riding the bike when all good. Bike is still at Trek shop for the past three weeks getting a new head unit installed so I’ve been enjoying riding my regular bike lately

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
As stated, loved riding the bike when all good. Bike is still at track shop for the past three weeks getting a new head unit installed so I’ve been enjoying riding my regular bike lately
Sadly wouldn’t buy the bike again due to all the issues but Trek has gone above and beyond trying to remedy the stuff at least the local shop

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles