What's the longest you haven't bought anything for your Ebike for?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Looking at the "What did you buy your ebike this week?" thread just now it occurred to me that I don't think I've bought a single thing for mine since about April when it was due a new cassette, chain, chainring and brake pads.
That thread always makes me think most Ebikers have a shopping addiction. somebody prove me wrong that I'm not the only one here happy with my originally chosen spec and there are others who don't get excited over the thought of colourfully accessorising their bike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Fitting my preferred contact points (pedals, grips, saddle) from the off is a given for me.
As is tyre choice

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Bought my bike in August and since then I Bought a new rear tyre, a new chain and a new gear cable inner and outer. Just replacing stuff that's worn. Oh yeah and some new grips, because I didn't like the grips it came with.

I keep wondering what I could do to make it significantly lighter, but there's nothing I can do without compromising it's downhill ability, aside from switching to a 500wh battery.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I keep wondering what I could do to make it significantly lighter, but there's nothing I can do without compromising it's downhill ability, aside from switching to a 500wh battery.
Tyres. and setting them up tubeless is normally the first (and cheapest) place to look

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Tyres. and setting them up tubeless is normally the first place to look (and cheapest)
Yeah, set them up tubeless straight away before I'd even ridden the bike. I don't seem to be able to get away with lighter tyres, I can't claim to have tried every tyre out there, but anything lighter casing wise than a maxxis doubledown on the back and and exo+ on the front results in puncture City.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's simply because you can only run lighter casings at higher pressures. But most folk don't seem able to cope with the reduction in grip
DD isn't overly heavy for a thicker casing TBF and EXO is about as light as you'd want to go. (the plus part is only a slight gain in weight of 30-40g from memory).
There are plenty threads on here about weight saving so have a wee search. But some bikes are just always going to be heavy

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I wouldn't have said I've gone on a massive shopping spree, mainly just consumables. The bike seems to go through parts rather quickly, and things like chains / tyres / cassettes won't go off if I buy them when I see a good deal

I have upgraded the saddle though and changed the front brake to 203mm, but wouldn't class that as excessive!

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Gary, does it count if I'd stocked up on consumables ?

I've replaced a couple of chains, way too many brake pads and a couple of tyres - but they were bought in 2019.

I DID buy a new cable for the dropper post back in January. 2020 - $3 ....

Why dress a tart like a princess ?

505EC58B-535C-4B95-8535-DD8258B1FF97.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I haven't bought anything for my Hardtail since I built it up over two years ago, aside from replacing worn out parts, so a couple of sets of tires, pads, a cassette and chain, and replaced the wheel bearing twice. I still look at it and dont think there's anything I would change.

My E-Sommett on the other hand is a revolving door of part swaps!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Amazon deliveries on a weekly basis.
Easily spent more on unnecessary tools and accessories than the cost of the bike.

looking back, I could have afforded a decent full suspension instead of my hardtail if I had not indulged in endless retail therapy.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I got the bike then bought pedals, grips, mudguards after a few weeks trying out what the bike shipped with. I might have to replace the stem by one 10-20mm longer as i sit just on the line of medium/large and got a medium frame on the advice (possibly poor) that if i do plan to do more bike parks i should find it a bit easier to handle.

This being the first expensive bike i have bought so i kind of figured most of what is on there shouldn't get replaced until it is worn/broken but also that i have no frame of reference for what is better to have on there. Long term i'm probably going to downgrade the drivetrain to something more economical to replace often as i plan to get out on it a lot.

Nukeproof brake pads are the only consumable so far, i'm sure i'll need new tyres sooner rather than later as weather has forced me onto tarmac more than i would like.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bought the bike 4th Jan 2019. Not counting original set up and necessary consumables, I have only bought two things for the bike. They were a Charger 2.1 damper in June this year and then a new saddle in July (should have done that much earlier). So that was 18 months without any purchase at all. Consumables by themselves seem to cost quite a lot.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On a sliding scale staring in Surrey and ending in gary’sland it seems it goes from £££££’s to 0 !
Gary's next thread ... What have you managed to sell off your e-bike this week ?

Grips. One set of brakes. Half the spokes. Saddle. Dropper. Pedals (replaced with some rusty old bolts). Battery (motor's normally broken so who needs it !)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Gary's next thread ... What have you managed to sell off your e-bike this week ?

Grips. One set of brakes. Half the spokes. Saddle. Dropper. Pedals (replaced with some rusty old bolts). Battery (motor's normally broken so who needs it !)

with all that weight reduction it would probably beat an SL up a hill

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
When I bought my hardtail I basically upgraded everything immediately. Went from a 100mm XC 29er to a 140mm 27.5 all mountain. That was about 18 months ago and since then the only thing I've changed are the tyres and the grips. And it's a fantastic bike.

Gordon

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
For the bike, I fitted a new set of rear frame bearings in March that I purchased Oct 2019, since then a chain & tubeless sealant.
For me, treated myself to a new lid & track pump in the summer.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
From new I changed the saddle. Then I swapped the brakes over from my Trek to the Altitude (Saint vs MT520). All other purchases have been consumables. For nearly 8000km now the bike has been feckin' brilliant apart from a couple of issues that I overcame through a teeny bit of electronics knowledge, welding skill and a near manic drive never to pay exorbitant amounts for oem parts :D

rorohello

Nov 6, 2020
CA
Bought a 2019 Turbo Kenevo closeout in March right before the whole S storm. Only other thing I've bought since then is chain lube. Going on 250+ miles. Never taken the battery off even. I'm physically in love with the bike, and I posted here about how to transport it. You guys said to get a $900 rack which was hilarious. I'm still using a Yakima Fourtimer I picked up second hand for $50

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Bought my bike in May, after first few rides I realized I needed pedals. Bought pedals and grip and saddle. Nothing else until Christmas, which I bought new fork

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles