What's the worst thing you've bought for your eMTB this week?

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
On browsing through the epic thread 'What have you bought for your eMTB this week?', I happened upon a MuckyNutz front fender thing. I thought: "Now that looks innovative. Simple, light and easy to remove." and promptly ordered one.

How wrong I was. What an absolute piece of excrement. Half an hour of my life wasted trying to get that to work. It now resides in the bin.

Rubbish. Thank goodness it's made out of recycled plastic.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
On browsing through the epic thread 'What have you bought for your eMTB this week?', I happened upon a MuckyNutz front fender thing. I thought: "Now that looks innovative. Simple, light and easy to remove." and promptly ordered one.

How wrong I was. What an absolute piece of excrement. Half an hour of my life wasted trying to get that to work. It now resides in the bin.

Agreed, but I'd ordered mine from Amazon so it was promptly boxed up and returned. I ended up using a RRP Pro Max for my Yari but I still cut into it so it would sit higher up the bridge.

1628790151488.png

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

I'm surprised. Was it the 'flat' universal type? I had one on my Rebas and my son has one on his Fox 34's and they fit well on both.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Agreed, but I'd ordered mine from Amazon so it was promptly boxed up and returned. I ended up using a RRP Pro Max for my Yari but I still cut into it so it would sit higher up the bridge.

View attachment 68823
Out of interest, is the RRP Pro Max easy to remove? Basically, I'd like a front mudguard that can easily be removed when I get my bike back the car. I need to remove the front wheel and rotate the bars 90 degrees to get it in, so any fixed mudguard is going to be a pain.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Out of interest, is the RRP Pro Max easy to remove? Basically, I'd like a front mudguard that can easily be removed when I get my bike back the car. I need to remove the front wheel and rotate the bars 90 degrees to get it in, so any fixed mudguard is going to be a pain.
I leave mine on when it goes in the back of the car as it's cable tied on, it's quite flexible.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Years of dirt bike riding and MTB riding have me strongly conditioned to grip the seat with my legs. This old dog can't seem to learn many new tricks.
I do too, just a dropper post allows you to grip it just above the knee rather than up at your upper thigh. Certainly helps on not getting the saddle smacking you in the rear end...

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Not a purchase as such, but a service. As I still have broken bones healing and my arm in a cast I did not have the strength to remove my tyres from my wheels one handed (believe me I tried!), as following my recent spill my tubeless set up failed and both tyres were completely flat. I had to pay an LBS to fit new tape and reseal. All done now

The spill also cost me a new brake lever, a replacement rh crank (purchased as a pair) and a new screen for my phone. It’s expensive crashing on your bike, try and avoid it!!

Spaceme17

Aug 28, 2020
Kentucky, USA

Agree on the MuckyNutz, complete trash.

On the flipside, the Cirrus Kinekt suspension seat post I purchased a few months ago has literally save my ass a lot of soreness.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What exactly were you guys expecting when you bought a minimalist fork arch fender for £9?

all they're for is to reduce the amount of spray flung forwards off the tyre and into your fork seals meaning you get a little less in your eyes while not making your bike look quite as ugly as with a full fender.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I use them on my bikes and think they’re great for stopping the majority of small stones / grit / mud & spray getting in your eyes.

They’re all ‘Mucky Nutz’ too purely as I like the brand name!

F2C8183F-BCEA-4547-93CF-5192B3A6BFD9.jpeg

Spaceme17

Aug 28, 2020
Kentucky, USA
What exactly were you guys expecting when you bought a minimalist fork arch fender for £9?

all they're for is to reduce the amount of spray flung forwards off the tyre and into your fork seals meaning you get a little less in your eyes while not making your bike look quite as ugly as with a full fender.

I knew they were cheap but not complete trash.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Probably read the description before spending any more money on a product that does exactly what the manufacturer says it does

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What am I missing on the MuckyNuts ?

I only picked it because it was the cheapest amazon next day delivery option and didn't think the focus came with one (it did).

Seems equally similar to my other guards. Sometimes moves a tiny bit if I bash it when I bash it.

mk.jpg

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
MuckyNutz here

Really happy with it, it does exactly what it's supposed to and l can't see how you could berate it at under £10

It doesn't do that much, but it's not supposed to, for that you need a full mudguard.

But it's a lot better than nothing.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
There are other similar "rip off" products that do the same job of course, most are even cheaper.
My last one was called "Mud Mate" or something and was £4.99
lt worked pretty much the same, but was attached with zip ties rather than velcro so not quite as convenient.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are other similar "rip off" products that do the same job of course, most are even cheaper.
My last one was called "Mud Mate" or something and was £4.99
lt worked pretty much the same, but was attached with zip ties rather than velcro so not quite as convenient.
I have just fitted one of my old Mucky Nutz guards to my grandson's bike. I had to use zip ties because the Velcro had perished and broken into pieces.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Endura MT500 freezing point gloves.
The liner has a lot of movement and is only attached at the fingertips by a thin thread and once it breaks, the liner pulls inside out when taking them off.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Bought a SRAM HS2 rotor last week. Noisy as f**k but I'll leave it on until it pisses me off enough to replace it with something else.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles