Mission Control Worrying amount of data collected by Specialized

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I agree with most of the arguments in here, really i do. But i also would like to own my own narrative when it comes to my bike and any disputes that might rise with warranty issues in the future. And i'm not talking about fraudulent claims. So if Specialized uses the data for all good purposes, no worries. But if used in a way to screw their customers, like insurance companies does, shame on them.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I don’t wish to give any offense but the vast majority of us aren’t important enough
Too late I'm offended
for any of our personal data to be useful in the first place.
Ok I've gotten over it. I'd be more worried about the monetisation of my data and the implications it has on my privacy in being released to countless unknown third parties. You think your data is anonymous? Think again.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Too late I'm offended

Ok I've gotten over it. I'd be more worried about the monetisation of my data and the implications it has on my privacy in being released to countless unknown third parties. You think your data is anonymous? Think again.

I’m offended too ? (only joking)

Agree. The problem with data sharing is that its virtually impossible to un-share after the fact (regardless of what the privacy policies state). If one changes their mind in the future and doesn’t want their data to be shared, its too late.

For me, its a balance. Consume the services and submit to data storage and processing indefinitely or dont use the services; there isnt really any middle ground.

To be fair, I only used Mission Control once to set up the assistance levels and havent used it since. ?

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Agree. The problem with data sharing is that its virtually impossible to un-share after the fact (regardless of what the privacy policies state). If one changes their mind in the future and doesn’t want their data to be shared, its too late.
Very true.

There is actually a valid legal challenge here to my earlier "it's all good, really..." posting: in many (most?) jurisdictions with sensible legal rights and protections, Data Protection laws oblige a data controller (Specialized here) to give individuals a specific choice as to whether - and for what purposes - their personal data are processed; and there should be no detriment attached to anyone who limits the kind or amount of data processed, and/or the purposes for which they are processed.

In reality, the only choice we're sometimes afforded is "don't use the app, then...", which in an ideal world should not be the only option.

But where this is the case, it's when the reasonableness argument kicks in: the processing of personal data can be perfectly lawful even if it is not consent-based, where a data controller can make the argument that it is reasonable to process the data anyway, even without an individual's explicit consent to do so.

My personal view is that Specialized is on pretty solid ground here.

Added: (I'm out of practice - I don't do this professionally any more since I took early retirement last year).

Re:
If one changes their mind in the future and doesn’t want their data to be shared, its too late
Actually, in the UK/EU, we have "the right to be forgotten": in essence, if we're no longer customers of Specialized, we can tell them (and in fact most conscientious data controllers don't need to be told) to get rid of everything they hold about us. If they no longer need the data for a legitimate business or other legal purpose, they no longer have the right to hold it or process it.

A compliant data controller will have procedures in place which allow it to recognise that there's no longer a relationship between it and the data subject (you and me), and to - ideally automatically - delete our data at that point, or as soon after as its data retention policies allow.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
And i'm not talking about fraudulent claims.
But they're the only ones we can meaningfully discuss in this context, Jonas - none of us know what might happen with a given company tomorrow, and all we know of Specialized today is that they have a reputation for honouring legitimate warranty claims.

Nobody - not companies, not governments, not you or I - makes good decisions based on unfounded speculations about what might happen at some unspecified point in the future.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
It was lost in all the other points you were making. This is the Internet after all
I hope you learned something: my knowledge of the subject matter was hard-won, but I'm happy to share it because some people might actually find it useful, given the gist of the thread.

Oh - and I was only making one point. There isn't a relationship between the number of points made and the number of words used.

Would that the world were actually so simplistic, eh?

Last edited:

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
It’s hit a bit worse of late
Although Mission Control used to record rides and show a map of the result just fine with access to iPhone location services only when the app was running. I’ve noticed recently that -now they want full-time access to iPhone location services - meaning even when the app is quit they can collect data about your movements. .
It’s said in a pop up that they need to this full time access to location services - or they can’t record your ride. That is, unless the app is running and in the foreground.

I wonder if this is Spesh wanting more data or Apple have changed something in security?

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
IMG_6910.jpeg

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
As you can see in the screenshots above Mission Control and Strava have the same access to location on my iPhone. But true to its warning MC no longer gives a map after a ride.

Here’s MC asking for “always” access
IMG_6908.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles