Mar 27, 2020
France
Screenshot_20200405-201959_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-201845_Gallery.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well obviously it looks better without mudguards. :)

Your choice is unobtrusive, and I really like that, but I wouldn't call it a mudguard! It is more of a splashguard. If you come across any real mud it will clog very quickly, mud like this for example: (and yes, that is a stick in there!)
Focus mud.jpg

I would go for a seat tube mounted mudguard, like this:
MTB MUDGUARDS - 700 MTB Rear Mudguard

It has the great advantage of being not only cheap, but it will fit any diameter seat tube, wheel diameter, or suspension travel. And it absolutely will not clog! Brilliant design, not as unobtrusive as yours, but wayyyyy more effective! :)

They work and I wouldn't be without one! When I left mine laid on my tow bar rack subsequently to go missing during the drive home, I immediately bought another.

Poupy

Mar 27, 2020
France
It is true that from your point of view this yours, after I live in the south of france it rains about 20 days a year and I never ride in as much mud as you

It’s especially level look,
I always put mudguards at the front but at the back c is the first time

FC27BA5A-CA17-4259-9765-F9E5A9E5282B.png

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Last week, when I removed the hideous but essential for the last few months, mudguards I was overjoyed. My bike looks right now. How can the terrain go from slopfest to hard as concrete in such a short time? Watch out for the ruts?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
[QUOTE="Poupy, post: 154154, member: 8617"...........I always put mudguards at the front but at the back c is the first time[/QUOTE]

I always fit a front mudguard like yours and I never take it off until I sell the bike. I tried fitting one on the back like you did. It looked nice but was too close to the tyre to be of use.

Poupy

Mar 27, 2020
France
It’s true that level look is t special , I also tend to prefer without, I thought it could protect a bit, I’ll try with a few days and after I think I’ll remove it

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I fitted 1 front an rear, I have always run a small 1 in the front an it has always worked well enough for me so I thought I’d try a rear 1 but to be honest it does not stop anything. I don’t mind the look so have left it there for now
IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Without.

To be honest those two mud guards will do next to nothing apart from maybe rub the paint off your frame. As much as I dislike the look of mud guards its all out or don't bother.

I've got an RRP Proguard bolt on and I rate that on the front but don't bother with anything on the rear.
RE the RRP bolt on. I like that idea, but could not find where I was going to bolt anything to my RS Yari fork. Can you enlighten me about how they bolt on?

As for the mudguards doing little,
I agree they do little in their current position. I actually took a bigger mud guard made for the saddle and lowered it. I wanted to protect my pivots from all the mud that was getting shot up in there. I know the pivot bearing/bushings can probably handle it, it took me a long time to get that mud and dirt out of there.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I have one installed BUT its not for MUD .. even though its a mudguard :cool:

Its not for looks either but rather to keep ROCKS from jamming in the pivot area (arch) behind the chainstay bridge. Giant Maestro suspension is quite similar where a rock can get trapped in that area and cause a lot of damage. If it was an aluminum swingarm ... not as bad .. but carbon is another story. Not saying it will happen without a mudguard ... but I have seen it before.

I used a modified mudhugger guard that extends down past the chainstay bridge ... but it needed quite a bit of "custom modification" (aka a hack mechanic hitting it with a heat gun)

And Steve above .. WOW !! where the heck are you riding - LOL! Now THAT is MUD ! o_O

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I fitted 1 front an rear, I have always run a small 1 in the front an it has always worked well enough for me so I thought I’d try a rear 1 but to be honest it does not stop anything. I don’t mind the look so have left it there for now View attachment 28338
View attachment 28339
I fitted a near a identical mud guard to you on my rear and it did pretty much nothing except rub my paint, I did notice that Mucky Nutz have this:
1586165093248.png

RE the RRP bolt on. I like that idea, but could not find where I was going to bolt anything to my RS Yari fork. Can you enlighten me about how they bolt on?
Ahh they don't currently fit Rockshox because there are no threaded holes on the fork brace, my bad. You could drill and tap a thread if you're feeling brave or just order the non bolt on version.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And Steve above .. WOW !! where the heck are you riding - LOL! Now THAT is MUD ! o_O

That my friend is clay mud mixed in with fallen vegetation, at least one stick, and whatever else gets churned up in the mud. It was taken in May'19 when I thought that "surely by now the trail will be dry?" It wasn't! (it was a wet year last year). It was on the Viking Way near Bevoir Castle in Lincolnshire, England.
When I was out yesterday en-route to where I took that photo, still on the Viking Way, I came across a section of now dry(ish) trail that would have been impassable a week ago. It is now deeply rutted and tricky to ride. I did have to get off an push in a few places. It extends to the end of the pic and round to the right and then round to the left. I thought it would never end.

Viking Way mud.jpg

That rut that is one third in and down from top left is about four feet deep (1.2m). The tractor that made that must have been huge!

There was worse ruts before that, but I was concentrating too hard to think to stop and take a pic. It will be a while before I go again, especially after last nights rain that will have activated the sludge!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
RRP Proguard (long and short) fits all rockshox forks.
You need the standard model which fits with zipties.
If you don't like the idea of zipties a CRUD XL fits with o rings and foam to help protect the fork lowers.
I reviewed both guards in depth on the front page of the site. You can read them both from this link.
Gary, Author at EMTB Forums

Last edited:

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I fitted 1 front an rear, I have always run a small 1 in the front an it has always worked well enough for me so I thought I’d try a rear 1 but to be honest it does not stop anything. I don’t mind the look so have left it there for now View attachment 28338
View attachment 28339
I fitted a near a identical mud guard to you on my rear and it did pretty much nothing except rub my paint, I did notice that Mucky Nutz have this:
View attachment 28372

Ahh they don't currently fit Rockshox because there are no threaded holes on the fork brace, my bad. You could drill and tap a thread if you're feeling brave or just order the non bolt on version.

Thanks mate I’ll have a look. My intention is only to stop some of the shit at the linkage area I was gonna try 2 of them an make a longer 1. I just used rubber tape on the key areas to stop the rubbing an so far so good

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
Well obviously it looks better without mudguards. :)

Your choice is unobtrusive, and I really like that, but I wouldn't call it a mudguard! It is more of a splashguard. If you come across any real mud it will clog very quickly, mud like this for example: (and yes, that is a stick in there!)
View attachment 28313

I would go for a seat tube mounted mudguard, like this:
MTB MUDGUARDS - 700 MTB Rear Mudguard

It has the great advantage of being not only cheap, but it will fit any diameter seat tube, wheel diameter, or suspension travel. And it absolutely will not clog! Brilliant design, not as unobtrusive as yours, but wayyyyy more effective! :)

They work and I wouldn't be without one! When I left mine laid on my tow bar rack subsequently to go missing during the drive home, I immediately bought another.
Seat tube mounted rear guards are incompatible with a dropper post.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
Unless the part of the dropper post that slides into the seat tube has sufficient length exposed to clamp on to.
How else do you think I did it? :unsure:
Tried that; I have too much suspension travel to mount the mudguard that low. You must have less suspension travel, a very high saddle position, a steeply angled mudguard, or a combination.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Never a rear mudguard. Always a front one. I use a Mucky Nutz trimmed back close to the front of the fork crown. A rear mudguard is ultimately just going to create a giant jam up spot.

For rain, same thing. Just front. I don't give a sh*t if my back gets wet. It's gonna anyway.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I've been running this dinky one in the back for a while mainly to stop the build up of crap than protect my back, that's what decent riding gear is for. Smallest cheapest one I could find. Had to clearance the chain side.

20191209_135048.jpg
20191209_135054.jpg
20191209_135103.jpg

Thats with the original 2.8, now only switching between 2.5 or 2.6's in the back, so even more room.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Tried that; I have too much suspension travel to mount the mudguard that low. You must have less suspension travel, a very high saddle position, a steeply angled mudguard, or a combination.
I have 150mm travel. The mudguard is positioned to avoid the tyre when the suspension is used, if I don't, the tyre moves it for me!
I don't understand the point about a very high saddle position. It's at the top of the dropper (!) and set as high as my legs will allow for comfy and efficient pedalling! It can't be any higher. Or maybe you normally have yours lower?

Edit: I could clamp the mudguard around the seat tube of course, ans there is sufficient adjustment in the blade mounting to allow for that, but I prefer the body of the dropper.

Last edited:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I tried just the little one and with the fine sand where I ride added to clay found the dropper getting covered and stiffening in action. Had to go for the full inelegant solution!

IMG_20200412_121039 (1).jpg

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I've been running this dinky one in the back for a while mainly to stop the build up of crap than protect my back, that's what decent riding gear is for. Smallest cheapest one I could find. Had to clearance the chain side.

View attachment 28755 View attachment 28756 View attachment 28757

Thats with the original 2.8, now only switching between 2.5 or 2.6's in the back, so even more room.
I did something very similar to my Decoy. It changed my post-ride clean up from 30 min to 5 minutes. Getting all that crud that gets flung into the linkage was a pain.

I guess if you don't like a rear mud guard, you like to clean. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles