Wiring through the headset poll

Would you buy a frame with wiring through the headset?

• Oh hell no!

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • I will buy if there are no alternatives

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • I will buy only with such wiring. I like it a lot.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I don't see any problems for me in the presence or absence of such wiring.

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
It's time to do a poll. Almost all new Chinese DIY bike frames are made with terrible wiring through the headset. Frame manufacturers sell this to us as a clean look of the bike.
1707341987978.png

Is it a clean look? Is it a beautiful look? Is it practical and easy to maintain?
Tried to allow for all answer choices

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I used the AXS shifter and dropper which cleaned up a few cables in the cockpit. On the Magura brake levers I used the small hydraulic hose elbows which brought the hoses a little closer to the head tube. I still have a bell though.

Cleaning up some lines in the motor compartment area was helpful. It was like a rats-nest in there.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I had to go with "I will buy if there are no alternatives" because, well, I did buy an LCE930 and the pluses exceed the minuses. However, It was pretty painful getting the steerer tube between the cables and honestly I am a bit anxious about what is going on in there with the steerer tube and battery all up in the cables business. Given the option I would choose the traditional frame routing.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
It was a deal braker.

Now two bikes (Spectral & Torque ON) with cable routing through the headset. Cleans up the cockpit. (Shifting & Dropper are AXS) It is not the hassle as I was thinking. For me no deal breaker any more. Next bike will be also through the head set :D

Cleaning up an re-grease the bearings still easy to do.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
It was a deal braker.

Now two bikes (Spectral & Torque ON) with cable routing through the headset. Cleans up the cockpit. (Shifting & Dropper are AXS) It is not the hassle as I was thinking. For me no deal breaker any more. Next bike will be also through the head set :D

Cleaning up an re-grease the bearings still easy to do.
Perhaps in factory bikes this point is solved less painfully, but now we are talking about Chinese solutions for this type of cable wiring.

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
I thought a lot about whether or not I wanted routing through the headset on my newly ordered CEF50, but I actively decided in favour of it.
I also see it as a challenge for the build.
AXS routing saves me a cable.
The rest makes - with additional effort - a nicer looking bike.
If I don't like it at all, I can always drill holes in the frame and route the cables through them. Seals could then come from the 3D printer.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
I thought a lot about whether or not I wanted routing through the headset on my newly ordered CEF50, but I actively decided in favour of it.
I also see it as a challenge for the build.
AXS routing saves me a cable.
The rest makes - with additional effort - a nicer looking bike.
If I don't like it at all, I can always drill holes in the frame and route the cables through them. Seals could then come from the 3D printer.
Too much DIY for my taste. I ride in an area with lots of rocks and have already destroyed 2 deor deraillers. Axs will save me 1 cable of course. But hardly saves money in my pocket.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Too much DIY for my taste. I ride in an area with lots of rocks and have already destroyed 2 deor deraillers. Axs will save me 1 cable of course. But hardly saves money in my pocket.
I ride with the older AXS for 4 years and also with the new Transmission since the introduction on the two eMTB's.

Where I did destroy in the past some XTR deraillers. The last 3 to 4 years none (with the AXS/Transmission). Yes the old AXS deraillers on two bikes had quit a lot of scratches. But stil working as you wanted. The new Transmission. is easier to replace parts. When needed. Can also handle much more abuse.

Yes the get a prober abuse here ;-)

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Sorry, but you asked for opinions, why are you now saying that you don't find my opinion acceptable?
i don't know what the number of destroyed derailleurs should have to do with it...
My decision to route through the headset isn't really influenced by the AXS, but by the DIY idea and the challenge. plus the hope for a cleaner looking bike.
i hate cables and wires on the frame, so i'm happy when they're gone as quickly as possible.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Sorry, but you asked for opinions, why are you now saying that you don't find my opinion acceptable?
i don't know what the number of destroyed derailleurs should have to do with it...
My decision to route through the headset isn't really influenced by the AXS, but by the DIY idea and the challenge. plus the hope for a cleaner looking bike.
i hate cables and wires on the frame, so i'm happy when they're gone as quickly as possible.
Perhaps there is a misrepresentation of the language here, as English is not my first language. I have nothing against AXS, it's a matter of accuracy and maybe terrain, I too rode 1 detailleir for a long time :). Getting rid of one wire on the bike is a great idea.
What I definitely disagree with is drilling the frame where there is no reinforcement. That's just not safe. That's the kind of DIY I can't support, sorry.

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Perhaps there is a misrepresentation of the language here, as English is not my first language. I have nothing against AXS, it's a matter of accuracy and maybe terrain, I too rode 1 detailleir for a long time :). Getting rid of one wire on the bike is a great idea.
What I definitely disagree with is drilling the frame where there is no reinforcement. That's just not safe. That's the kind of DIY I can't support, sorry.
Okay, then I'm sorry that I may have taken that too hostilely.
The manufacturers themselves drill holes where it suits them. See the CEF50 frame. Designed for internal guidance, but with holes on request. I don't think there is anything different about the frames.
Of course you have to think about WHERE to drill the holes, but with care this should not be a problem.
PS: English is not my native language either. ;)

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Not my cup of tea so I'd avoid unless the bike was an exceptional one (either price or performance) but the new Focus I thought was the perfect worst example with its vomiting stem design and an integrated handlebar. So much hassle right there! 🤣

ipe

Jun 26, 2023
White Mountains
My Rise has headset routing. I'm happy i have the bike (I think.... I got a phenomenal deal on it so I looked "beyond" the headset routing). I'm looking forward to when the snow and ice melts so I can actually ride it! :LOL:
All that said, I would have preferred traditional routing

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Clean external routing has been done so imop there's no need for the extra complexity of internal routing especially on ebikes. I have to drop the motor to change rear brakes or dropper housings on 2 of my ebikes and its just a phenomenally stupid thing to have to do for routine maintenance. I whish manufacturers would get their heads out of their asses and calm down with internal routing.

D

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I do prefer internal routing but maybe that’s because I’ve not had to replace any of it yet!

I think half the problem is the fact we’re talking about e-bikes. Internal routing on an analogue bike is no drama.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles