Winter riding kit - stuff to keep you warm and dry

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
If you head over to the Trek site, under shoes, they’re in there. Bontrager OMW Winter Bike Shoe | Trek Bikes (CA)
I use these in wet or dry snow. I like the Boa option too. They have the spd attachment but I use a metal plate for the Magped peddles.
Kinda expensive but if you keep the 2cent commission that should help offset the cost. 👍🏻
Sorry I should have said 50 pence commission I’m in the Uk. Thanks for sharing though.

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
Hope are selling the Endura Singletrack waterproof jacket for £75 with free delivery. That’s the best price I could find for a pretty decent jacket.

Nice one for that, Ordered one!

Need to find some wet legs now, Was thinking of getting some over trousers but i thought they might be weird if they were loose or anything,

Quite fancied the Endura trousers that work with the click liner because thats what liners i have but not sure which to go for.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Decathlon AM trousers and just keep up on the DWR coating, a t-shirt and a waterproof jacket of dubious origin (pack a mac etc)

The only things that should be getting cold are your feet and hands, so decent gloves and boots, if your bodies cold, you're not trying hard enough :*

My mate has one of them Endura onsie things, but then he also has a vw T6, so take that as you will...

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
Decathlon AM trousers and just keep up on the DWR coating, a t-shirt and a waterproof jacket of dubious origin (pack a mac etc)

The only things that should be getting cold are your feet and hands, so decent gloves and boots, if your bodies cold, you're not trying hard enough :*

My mate has one of them Endura onsie things, but then he also has a vw T6, so take that as you will...

I agree to a certain extent!

But on saturday we were so wet that any slight breeze made your whole body cold. Keeping as dry as poss is the best start to staying warm i would say! :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
:ROFLMAO:

I've got a Dirtlej Dirtsuit but it appears to have suffered an adverse reaction to UV light over the summer...

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
If it holds the value well then you’d want to buy new and sell it on. Bit of economics :)

you will look like a Brit rambler if you’re wearing paramo though :) add some gators for the full effect.
Ha, I have gaitors too - good for the worst weather. Paramo kit - pricey - so I've always bought secondhand & the few items I've sold have returned most of the cost, even after a few years use. They have a good service back up & can be re-proofed at home.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland

A fair review over at BkeRadar, they're rating them quite highly.

I've the problem with poor circulation in the legs and found especially in winter a quilted trouser for underneath the waterproofs goes a long way to preventing the chilled outer surface from making it through to the skin.
This type of thing.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A fair review over at BkeRadar, they're rating them quite highly.
Normally wear shorts, but have ordered a pair of the Decathlon AM's to try out. Not sure what it's like everywhere else, but very low stock of them in France (I think there's one pair in "L" left and the rest are sold out).

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I will warn you about the Decathlon AMs, you wont be pulling any ladies or gents, they are exceptionally unflattering in there cut around the crotch area

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
If it holds the value well then you’d want to buy new and sell it on. Bit of economics :)

you will look like a Brit rambler if you’re wearing paramo though :) add some gators for the full effect.
I like Paramo for walking but wouldn’t dare wearing it where I ride as brambles etc would rip to shreds

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had a pair of the Decathlon AM trews. Sent them back. The cut is awful; there was no way I was getting kneepads on underneath. The material is awful; it's easy to see why they are cheap. The waterproof bum patch is single thickness, not layered over the seat material.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I had a pair of the Decathlon AM trews. Sent them back. The cut is awful; there was no way I was getting kneepads on underneath. The material is awful; it's easy to see why they are cheap. The waterproof bum patch is single thickness, not layered over the seat material.

The cut is bad, the waist sits high and the crotch is very flat. They're not uncomfortable though.

I've had them a year and I've yet to damage them at all, and I spend a lot of time in the bushes.

I can fit hardshell knee pads with shin guards in them fine.

I treat the whole lot with NikWax often and they stay waterproof for the best part.

They're decent for £40 if you're cheap like me 😁

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wear them in the summer! Bloody useless once wet, it’s like sticking your hands in a freezer!

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
Brisker are good for winter..italian summer with bisker…you could feel that your freezer is broken..

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
I wear them in the summer! Bloody useless once wet, it’s like sticking your hands in a freezer!
Funny, I find exactly the opposite. Couldn’t wear mine in the summer as hands would be too sweaty. They are the cold weather version. Guess I must a bit hotter. Wear Cold Weather Briskers in winter and Celiums in the summer.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don’t Brisker come in two version only one of which is waterproof?

I have a pair but they only come out in the worst of the cold as I find my hand get too hot in them unless it’s around zero

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Are the Brisker gloves fairly true to size ? When I measure my hands as per the sizing guide, it suggests I only need a size small, whereas I usually go for large. Even the large Handske gloves (the brand I currently use) are tight to get on & off, although a perfect fit once squeezed in

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Are the Brisker gloves fairly true to size ? When I measure my hands as per the sizing guide, it suggests I only need a size small, whereas I usually go for large. Even the large Handske gloves (the brand I currently use) are tight to get on & off, although a perfect fit once squeezed in

I have Brisker XL and some Giro DND in L. The briskers are a good fit but not more snug than loose. But I used the numeric sizes to figure out the relative L/XL etc.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
I wear large in other brands and just chose large in the Briskers. Seemed ok to me.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Don’t Brisker come in two version only one of which is waterproof?

I have a pair but they only come out in the worst of the cold as I find my hand get too hot in them unless it’s around zero
The standard brisker gloves have thin mesh at the sides of the fingers which lets air circulate.
The hydromatic brikers are sealed and don't breathe very well. They made my hands sweaty and clammy

I'm wearing the normal brikers at the moment, but when it gets colder I'll wear my specialized gloves instead. I think they're the element 1.0 ones

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles