Winter riding kit - stuff to keep you warm and dry

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This winter I want to stay as comfortable as possible when out riding. Especially when out filming stuff, there's ofter a bit of faffing about, hanging around waiting for the right shots.

Having gone a few winters getting into situations where I can't even feel my hands and feet (standard stuff really for a lot of us) I thought I'd try and say a big FU to winter and stay as warm and dry as possible.

Here's some of my kit. Not all is tested, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Five Ten Gore Tex

Early days, but so far so good. Essential to use with a long waterproof trouser in really bad conditions.

7B81116A-B37A-4C2D-A3D5-FEE94B6E7261.jpeg

DHB Merino Socks

Not yet tested

506A27A9-7060-4CC9-A658-863B9DF391C8.jpeg

Endura Freezing Point waterproof gloves

Supposedly good to under freezing and also waterproof. Pretty thick. Not tested so far. Seem decent.

6DC567AB-092A-4C57-BF8D-B5423869F9AE.jpeg

7C861AF4-9D18-426B-A4DB-B6504896B57A.jpeg

E16F2E1D-ED43-4494-ABC3-38229CCBFBF4.jpeg

Sealskins

Decent waterproof socks. Expensive, but do the job for me.

AE25D7F8-492F-4EAA-BF4D-48EE754450B4.jpeg

Heated Socks

The pièce de résistance maybe?! Never had any before, they may be shit. They may catch fire. But there have little batteries (4500mah) and supposedly keep your feet warm. Lets see how I get on.

EDIT: They're CRAP! barely any warmth at all! Returning!

5F9D5154-1B58-4F43-B017-0F766F9E3D70.jpeg

67C06E79-27FE-4D28-912A-D1B02D97FFD8.jpeg

16340CBE-AD92-46F5-A3BE-044138B6337A.jpeg

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Excuse the YouTube screen grabs. But easier to show what I'm wearing:

Endura MT500 Jacket

Brilliantly waterproof. Quite thick, boxy fit. But the jacket I'd choose for the worst conditions.

Fox Defend Thermo Hoodie

Stupidly expensive but the best warm jersey I've ever used. Nicely insulated with a built in hood.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 15.57.41.png

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 15.57.15.png

Fox Ranger 3L Waterproof Pants

The only ones I've found with a decent fit and material that is soft / not too noisy when riding. Again, like all Fox stuff, expensive. But good quality.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
With the amount of water my Sealskinz socks let in on Saturday (like wearing goldfish bowls) I’m sure those heated socks would be instantly shorted out and my toe hairs’ sizzled with shocking results

Wore Merino socks on Sunday with equal amounts of heavy rain. They got wet, but feet remained warm and didn’t feel like they were sat in buckets of water

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Shower pass coat, Ronstan pants, Bontrager winter gloves, Bontrager winter boots, Shimano water proof shoes, Endura rain pants, Fox Racing puffy jacket, Belaclava, Endura Socks. And briefs (no pics available)😉

7AB412F6-E107-4CA0-88F3-BE6117398C0C.jpeg

87C06B41-9F5D-4106-9192-529A6BDA888B.jpeg

A931E0C3-75BB-477E-BCB3-98CBB67C9F51.jpeg

CB90AD6D-FBEB-4D94-B8CF-A00EAC546737.jpeg

A611D08B-BE2A-42A6-A357-DA91A012A137.jpeg

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I use layers....if it's cold enough, I just add a layer.

Inner: merino underwear, trousers, short shirt, long shirt depending on temp.
Outher: C5 GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ 1985 Viz Jacket - paperthin best MTB equipment ever (should be mandatory before even getting any bike)
Trousers: shorts MT500 even in minus 10 degree celcius (danish Viking)
Kneepads when cold: Daikine
Kneepads when not-so-cold: Dainese Trail v1.
Socks: long waterproof Dexshell
Shoe: Shimano Goretex MW501
Gloves: thin 100%
Protection: Dainese west with chest/back protection.
Helmet: Bell FF Super DH

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Very similar to me. From bottom to top:

1. Five Ten Adidas TrailCross Goretex
2. Sealskin knee length socks
3. 7Mesh Revo long Goretex shorts (with long socks, long shorts and IXS Trigger Race knee guard, I don't feel the need for pants/trousers)
4. Wool first layer on top. Either 160 or 220 depending upon the temps.
5. Sugoi RSE Neo Shell Jacket or Endura MT500 depending upon the temps
6. Sealskinz waterproff all weather mountain bike gloves: Waterproof All Weather MTB Glove

I put on as much kit as I can before I get in the car and then put on remaining kit while still in the car. When I finish, the bike goes straight onto the back of the car and I have a set of warm clothing in a bag which I bring into the front of the car to get changed into.

Get home, hose down all the muddy gear. Put gear into wash bags, and then into the washing machine. So much effort for winter riding lol. But fun :)

Use one of these to dry the TrailCross overnight:

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I normally winter in Spain or Portugal so wear shorts and T shirt. (y) But this winter and last winter stayed in U.K. so just wrapped up well but thinking of getting some more warm stuff so enjoying this thread to see what peaple recommend.(y)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I mix & match a lot of the stuff other folks are wearing ..but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned wearing a buff under their helmet to keep their lugs warm ..
Also like Tubby G ..I often find in really wet conditions that wool socks ( even when wet ) are a lot warmer than so called waterproof socks ( I also use dexshell) ..and Woolie Bollies are my go to ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I use layers....if it's cold enough, I just add a layer.
Me too.

Proper waterproof biking gear is effing expensive and fairly fragile so I tend to repurpose clothes from other pastimes; softshell trousers from Regatta for warmth with ex-MoD goretex overtousers for waterproofing. Both are fairly cheap and therefore expendable. Tops tend to be more bike orientated because they fit better when riding. I've got;
DHB thermal jersey for cold and wet, worn under a waterproof.
Endura MT500 Thermo Long Sleeve Jersey for cold and dry as it has windproof panels
DHB MTB Trail Waterproof Jacket

I've now joined the 5-10 Goretex gang but haven't worn them yet. I the past I've used 5-10 Freerider EPS with Vaude gaiters if it's really wet which actually work extremely well but look bobbins.

I have various cold weather gloves, some Fox for cold and dry and some Sealskinz for cold and wet.

I have a buff, a skull cap and some fleece brow warmer thing to keep the noggin warm.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I think you skipped one of the most important items - the base layer. Can't recommend Craft's stuff enough. Great for winter biking and XC skiing. I would also suggest that it makes a huge difference if you're riding "wet winter" or "dry winter". I dress completely differently for those two scenarios. For "dry winter" I'm more focused on breathability. And while you haven't specifically discussed it, you're clearly using flat pedals which I generally do all winter. I've gotten frozen out of my clipless pedals too many times in the past. The last consideration is your bike itself - suspension components simply don't work the same when the temperatures start to drop. We ride all year 'round here, and occasionally the temperature gets as low as 5-10 degrees F. At that point, you might as well be riding rigid. Everything stiffens up and slows up. So on my fatbike I usually do put a rigid fork on (since I'm also rocking 4.6" of concave studded tires).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Something to remember; fit is vital for retaining warmth, especially at the extremities. If your shoes or gloves are too tight they may restrict circulation with will make you feel cold. A warm core is also very important.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The problem I have is getting changed after a ride to drive home. It’s ok if you’re at a trail centre for instance and you can use their toilets (disabled toilets are the best) but when you’re in the middle of nowhere, it’s p!$$ing down, absolutely covered in filth from head to toe and you need to drive home it’s a bit of a challenge getting changed. Does anyone use those oversized dressing gown type robes that surfers use ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
The problem I have is getting changed after a ride to drive home. It’s ok if you’re at a trail centre for instance and you can use their toilets (disabled toilets are the best) but when you’re in the middle of nowhere, it’s p!$$ing down, absolutely covered in filth from head to toe and you need to drive home it’s a bit of a challenge getting changed. Does anyone use those oversized dressing gown type robes that surfers use ?
Nah ..I just drop everything and don't give a shit ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Etnies skate shoes, waterproof socks. Dakine riding trousers and a cotton T shirt.
Same as most winters 😉

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Actual links would be far more use than pictures...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Some additions/alternatives to the a bove.

Base Layer: Under armour cold gear long sleeve vest and tights
Protect layer: Leatt roost vest or Leatt 3DF Airfit lite, Leatt 3df shorts, Leatt zip knee pads
Warmth layer: half zip fleece and Endura MT500 Spray Pants or Altura pants
Wind/rain layer: Nukeproof waterproof jacket
Gloves: C Skins windsurfing neoprene gloves
Boots : 5-10 EPS........waxed. ( totally waterproof!)
Socks: Bridgedale Summit long socks
Buff 2 layer neck band/ hat/balaclava.
Smith full face
Smith goggles
Foot warmers ( 80p per ride totally worth it) ps.....no batteries Rob ;)

ps foot warmers stay warm for up to 6/7 hours but you have to get of the bike occasionally and walk around to keep them activated. If you stay on the bike just pedalling even on rough terrain is not enough to keep them activated for more than a couple of hours.

ps2. trick from Windsurfing for cold hands...especialy cold and wet to the extent of being numb. Stop riding and remove any gloves. Swing your arms around preferably keeping your hands below the level of your heart. As the blood goes back into your hands it will hurt like hell for a minute or two..........after that your hands will get warmer and stay warm.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands

5E230034-1A7F-45C7-A7BA-C0003F6B2AB1.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
ah you mean a T5..or T4!...which all self respecting surfers have!! The poncho is just to let your body breath after being wrapped in wet neoprene for a few hours!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Merino wool base layer is amazing. As well as being super warm, it breathes and one can wear it for days without it getting smelly. Thr mistake most people make is wearing bulky layers on top and not wearing enough on the legs. The combined surface area of ones legs is more than the trunk but because legs don’t really feel cold one doesn’t realise how much heat is being lost. Fleece trousers can make an enormous difference. As the body cools it cuts off circulation to the less important bits but freezing hands and feet are miserable and not great for bike control. So, by keepimg the body slightly warmer than comfortable there is a much better chance of extremities staying warm. Having said this, Heated socks are great. I bought LENZ ones for skiing but have used them for sub-zero mountain biking. Heated gloves are great too. Motorbike ones are waterproof as well. I use some £15 Chinese ones For short rides but really good ones a worthwhile investment. If it is dry, one cannot beat down vests and jackets. Not only warm but breathe and dont restrict movement. If it’s wet one needs a breathable shell. Goretex is the best but other membranes are nearly as good and cheaper and sometimes more robust. Remember that non of these breathables work once the DWR coating wears or is washed off as water no longer beads off and the soaked material can no longer let water vapour through. I have one jacket for dryish to showery conditions and goretex stuff to only be worn when it’s really bad , Biking involves getting pretty hot going up and with windchill a huge temperature difference going downhill so clothing needs to ventilate. If the weather is bad, it’s a nonsense taking a waterproof jacket off to remove or add clothing - everything gets wet. Better to add jackets. So, base layer, mid layer, light waterproof jacket for up. Add down jacket or vest or both plus second waterproof jacket for down. Remove two top layers for up.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
On the subject of base layers ..I just can't get away with merino wool ..
I'm probably as hairy as a ...err..hairy thing and myself and the sheep just don't get on so a synthetic breathable base from Rab / Helly have served me well over the years ..and are just as effective in terms of keeping warm ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles