Winter riding kit - stuff to keep you warm and dry

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
MTB helmets already look super dorky so wear what you like confidently in the knowledge you probably still look more stylish than most of its participants with absolutely ALL THE (correct) GEAR...
There are much better options which have been developed over a longer period, such as the 653g Titanium Trail Slayer.

1639649944175.png

Comes with MIPS as standard (Multiple Impaling Points System).

Not only do you stand out from the crowd, but it's supplied with the patented "Two Down Components" utility horns. These hermetically sealed storage units can be used to carry your ride drinks or snacks, tubes, co2, levers, multitool.

The Horns also double as beer or mead goblets for that post ride celebration and are designed to be held, whilst full, and still enable the owner and one friend to fist bump repeatedly without spillage.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Something to warm yourself up in on the travel back home after riding or getting changed in the car park, cant go far wrong with these. I would live in mine if i could.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only part of me that gets cold on a ride are my toes...not even my feet...just my toes!! I have 5-10 EPS which are insulated and waterproof but once it gets below 10 degrees c my toes are numb after 30 minutes or so.
I took a look at heated socks and prices vary hugely but most consists of carbon heating elements powered by a Li battery held in a pocket a the top of each sock. Clearly the most expensive are probably the most effective but in the end you are mostly paying for 2 lithium batteries and the position of the batteries would probably interfere with kneepads.
Then I spotted heated insoles and many of them have a different approach. The heating element can be the same but then a wire from each insole is connected to a longer wire and those wires are both connected into a USB C...............which in turn you connect to whatever powerpack you have. That means of course you are not paying for batteries/lithium batteries so the solution is cheap.

I am still waiting for delivery so no feedback yet.

The wires from the insoles should be long enough to be passed inside trail pants on each leg and join up for connection to the powerpack above the waistband...so in a trail pants pocket or jacket pocket etc. That means you can switch the heating on and off at will.
So the principle all sounds good to me.

My worry is that being 34 inch inside leg and most of these heated insoles being manufactured in china the long wires will only reach my knees!! :rolleyes:o_O We will see.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
Has anyone tried a cheap motorbike or karting waterproof suit?

Something like this

Looks quite baggy but I only really want it for weekends away in Wales and the like.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only part of me that gets cold on a ride are my toes...not even my feet...just my toes!! I have 5-10 EPS which are insulated and waterproof but once it gets below 10 degrees c my toes are numb after 30 minutes or so.
I took a look at heated socks and prices vary hugely but most consists of carbon heating elements powered by a Li battery held in a pocket a the top of each sock. Clearly the most expensive are probably the most effective but in the end you are mostly paying for 2 lithium batteries and the position of the batteries would probably interfere with kneepads.
Then I spotted heated insoles and many of them have a different approach. The heating element can be the same but then a wire from each insole is connected to a longer wire and those wires are both connected into a USB C...............which in turn you connect to whatever powerpack you have. That means of course you are not paying for batteries/lithium batteries so the solution is cheap.

I am still waiting for delivery so no feedback yet.

The wires from the insoles should be long enough to be passed inside trail pants on each leg and join up for connection to the powerpack above the waistband...so in a trail pants pocket or jacket pocket etc. That means you can switch the heating on and off at will.
So the principle all sounds good to me.

My worry is that being 34 inch inside leg and most of these heated insoles being manufactured in china the long wires will only reach my knees!! :rolleyes:o_O We will see.
Update:
Less than £9 off ebay and they work.....and the wires are plenty long enough to exit at the waistband and to stash your powerpack in a jacket pocket. The £9 does not include any powerpack so it assumes you already have one.
They arrived after my ride today so not fully tested but I put them in my summer 5-10s and wore them around the house for an hour. I used a 5000 mAh powerpack and they used a bit more than 25% ( there are 4 neons and 1 neon had gone out but cannot tell how much of the second)..........probably about 35%, so on that basis that powerpack would certainly power them for just over 2 hours.
The heat generated is a bout body heat and centred mostly ( at least on these ones) in the instep/foot arch. I am guessing they a void running the element in the heel of ball of the foot to a void too much pressure being applied.
I suspect a slightly more expensive pair based on the same design principles may have an elements preading further a cross the foot but for less than £9 these ones are fine.
The only other observation is that it is probably advisiable to make a small hole in your socks to feed the wire coming from the insole inside the sock to a void any danger of the wire getting snagged on the cranks/ chainwheel. Probably not necessary if the wire is kept reasonably taught maybe by passing the extension wire under knee pads.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Really been satisfied with my Onsie the Dirtlej suit, yes its expensive but the ability to slip it off and have dry clothes underneath has been great. I have had basic mtb shirts and leatte shorts underneath, with pads, been toasty and not cold.

The water proof 510s have been another great purchase alongside water proof socks from go outdoors.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Really been satisfied with my Onsie the Dirtlej suit, yes its expensive but the ability to slip it off and have dry clothes underneath has been great. I have had basic mtb shirts and leatte shorts underneath, with pads, been toasty and not cold.

The water proof 510s have been another great purchase alongside water proof socks from go outdoors.
How sweaty does it make you on the fast days?
i'm intrigued
Good Video BTW.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm sweating just reading about the stuff people wear out on the trail. Does no one else here sweat?
Fricking all in one suits.......SHEEEEET MAAN, I'd melt.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Late to the party;

Usual shoes with some planet-X £5 over shoes.

Usual trousers with some £5 mountain warehouse waterproof overtrousers and sometimes decathlon thermal under trousers.

Usual tshirts, usual hoodies with £5 decathlon thermal baselayer.

Usual lid, sometimes with an over cap I sourced from amazon for a few quid.

Some merino wool socks I found on amazon for £5 (there is a theme).

MT500 Super mega freezing point waterproof gloves (as of today)! Went out last night in -2c in my Briskers and I’m sure I left two fingers on the top of Leith Hill 🤦‍♂️

All the money I didnt spend on mountain bike branded clothes = whiskey to warm me 👍

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Picked up some Endura MT500 freezing point gloves in large.
Perhaps I got a pair made on Friday afternoon but they're absolutely shite.
They run small, they're a pain in the arse to put on and take off.
The thumbs are too long and the fingers too short lol.
The inner liner moves too much on the palm and the fingers.
I have just taken them off and the liner has practically turned inside out. There's no way I can keep these. They wouldn't last a year.
Overpriced rubbish. I expected more from Endura.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I know all the Northern Hemisphere posters are not thinking at all about winter right now but does anyone have any recommendation on a Vest/Gilet?

My case, Currently winter in NZ but heading into spring, riding mostly between 8 & 20c days. I have a Fox Thermo hoodie (which is great) but want a windproof Vest/Gilet to keep the core warm (Water resistant wouldn't hurt either) any help?

TIA

OldnSlow

Dec 31, 2021
New Zealand
I know all the Northern Hemisphere posters are not thinking at all about winter right now but does anyone have any recommendation on a Vest/Gilet?

My case, Currently winter in NZ but heading into spring, riding mostly between 8 & 20c days. I have a Fox Thermo hoodie (which is great) but want a windproof Vest/Gilet to keep the core warm (Water resistant wouldn't hurt either) any help?

TIA
The Ground Effects Vespa is about as good as it gets for a windproof gilet. Top quality kit and locally made to boot. They also do a thermal under vest. Their merino wear is also great.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The Ground Effects Vespa is about as good as it gets for a windproof gilet. Top quality kit and locally made to boot. They also do a thermal under vest. Their merino wear is also great.

Thanks looked at these but the colours are garish, would be okay on the road but not very MTB IMO

OldnSlow

Dec 31, 2021
New Zealand
Agree. I did say they're top quality, not top fashion ;). I have a Doctor Smock from the very early 2000's and its still 100% functional but unfortunately also still ugly.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.

TIA
It's not a gilet as such but I have a Polaris Torr jacket. It's like an insulated gilet with very thin, somewhat windproof sleeves and hood and I use it all the time during the cooler months. Dunno if you can get Polaris stuff in NZ but they were on sale last time I looked. Definitely not worth full price but if you can get one reduced I'd recommend them, it has that uncanny knack of being warm but not too warm and is usable in a fairly wide range of cooler conditions.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Riders with the Dirtelj Core, how's the sizing? I'm 6'1", 196lbs and am looking at the Large. Make sense? I'll get some proper measurements and compare them to their sizing chart but I'd like to have a little room under the suit for layers when necessary. Thanks!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles