Levo Gen 3 Why does Specialized not use the e rated 36 or 38 fox forks on their Levos?

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Why does Specialized not use the e rated 36 or 38 fox forks on their Levos? Asking because thinking of upgrading my 36 to a grip2 but wondering about getting a 36e which I hear is an excellent upgrade on other eMTBs.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Guess they go by the weight more than the e

Rise is, iirc, considered light enough not to require e parts. Although Iโ€™d check that ๐Ÿค” and the 38 is unsuitable anyway

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
There is very little difference between a ebike tune and a normal bike tune apart from accounting for the extra weight in a ebike, I've had both on my levo and never noticed any difference whatsoever ๐Ÿ™„

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
The Fox E rating uses lighter compression damping stack.

Perhaps somebody in the bikeindustry defined that E-Bikes are more comfort-oriented and not performance/speed-oriented than normal Enduro Bikers ๐Ÿ˜…

You compare the tunes on ridefox.com

Interestingly Speci doesn't use the E-configuration in fork but uses a custom RX Tune in the X2 Rearshock for the Levo. This tune is one more tick lighter/softer than the FOX "Low Tune" regarding their shim config drawings.

Best regards,

Chris

E-Fox 38, thicker compression shims. less shim qty but in sum more overall stiffness

32183F77-C44A-45C1-BE41-7124C1EEC3A1.jpeg

Normal FOX38

706A67FD-59EE-41FD-BFEB-ECA4BDED3ECB.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023
Uk
More weight would need less damping restriction to achieve the same rude quality ? No ?

I find it strange fox air pressure settings max out at 120 kg e bike or not. Obvs the bike is heavier and given they are an American company, so are the riders ๐Ÿ˜„

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
There is very little difference between a ebike tune and a normal bike tune apart from accounting for the extra weight in a ebike, I've had both on my levo and never noticed any difference whatsoever ๐Ÿ™„
[Emtb obtuse mode on ] surprised youโ€™d notice flattening a car on that tank ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ [emtb obtuse mode off]

โ€ฆ.juuuuust trying to fit in ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
The main weight difference is sitting on the bike, where easy +/-20kg are real. The e bike +5kg is nothing. I guess all that is just Business driven marketing.
You've not ridden one have you! Or if you did you were wearing clogs and boxing gloves with an arm chair saddle ๐Ÿ˜„

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
More weight would need less damping restriction to achieve the same rude quality ? No ?

normally it should be the same setting in the compression-side for Bio vs E. The compression damping should not be dependant from the weight. Mainly Terrain&speed = impact-speed which are moving the unsusprung masses have to get controlled by ipactspeed-sensitive compression daming

Of cause the spring force should be increased and an increase of the Rebound damping would make sense with heavier weights in E-Bikes.

Last edited:

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I have 38's on my turbo levo, my friend has E-38's on his levo, after riding both bikes back to back on the same trails I can say there is absolutely no noticeable difference what so ever, any one that claims they can tell a difference are talking rubbish, it's a marketing gimmick nothing more nothing less.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
I have 38's on my turbo levo, my friend has E-38's on his levo, after riding both bikes back to back on the same trails I can say there is absolutely no noticeable difference what so ever, any one that claims they can tell a difference are talking rubbish, it's a marketing gimmick nothing more nothing less.
As I suspected

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The Fox E rating uses lighter compression damping stack.

Perhaps somebody in the bikeindustry defined that E-Bikes are more comfort-oriented and not performance/speed-oriented than normal Enduro Bikers ๐Ÿ˜…

You compare the tunes on ridefox.com

Interestingly Speci doesn't use the E-configuration in fork but uses a custom RX Tune in the X2 Rearshock for the Levo. This tune is one more tick lighter/softer than the FOX "Low Tune" regarding their shim config drawings.

Best regards,

Chris

E-Fox 38, thicker compression shims. less shim qty but in sum more overall stiffness

View attachment 107786
Normal FOX38

View attachment 107787

Those are FIT4 damping systems, not GRIP2.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills

Not doubting that you didnt feel a difference but perhaps some are more sensitive to the nuances of different suspension set ups? I am not one of them but I know there are many that can/will notice very minor adjustments that are beyond my threshold.

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
The main weight difference is sitting on the bike, where easy +/-20kg are real. The e bike +5kg is nothing. I guess all that is just Business driven marketing.
Plus 1. System weight for my mate on his full fat e-bike is less than for me on my non-e-bike (He's a small tacker and at least 15kg lighter than me). Why does he need a special fork??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles