Which Mino Link setting are people using?

Sirwincealot

May 3, 2020
Surrey Hills, UK
When I took delivery of my Rail 9 a couple of weeks back it came with the Mino Link in the low setting.

TBH I hadn't thought about it too much. It's been really stable on the descents and easy to climb. But on tight singletrack it's had a slight tendency to run wide unless I really get after it. I assumed it was down to being a relatively heavy 29er (my other bike is a 26" HT) but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, today I've changed it to the high setting. From a quick ride down my driveway I'm surprised at how different it feels. I'm positioned more up and over the handlebars and it seems more flickable.

I'll have to give it a proper ride this weekend but I'm curious as to what setting other people are using? Have you noticed much of a difference between the two?

Razz1

Apr 7, 2020
Pennsylvainia,usa
When I took delivery of my Rail 9 a couple of weeks back it came with the Mino Link in the low setting.

TBH I hadn't thought about it too much. It's been really stable on the descents and easy to climb. But on tight singletrack it's had a slight tendency to run wide unless I really get after it. I assumed it was down to being a relatively heavy 29er (my other bike is a 26" HT) but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, today I've changed it to the high setting. From a quick ride down my driveway I'm surprised at how different it feels. I'm positioned more up and over the handlebars and it seems more flickable.

I'll have to give it a proper ride this weekend but I'm curious as to what setting other people are using? Have you noticed much of a difference between the two?
Had mine in low setting first 200 miles. Didn't see any reason to change it yet feels planted everywhere I go. Loving this bike !!

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Had mine in low setting first 200 miles. Didn't see any reason to change it yet feels planted everywhere I go. Loving this bike !!

My Powerfly 9.7 is set on low. I like more slack, I suppose. It still wasn’t enough slack for me. I raised my handle bars 15mm and shortened stem by 10mm. I also moved the seat back the full extent that I could.

I was surprised at the big change that was in my downhill confidence and speed.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I started with my Rail in low but found the front end a bit “wanderey” on really technical climbs, loads better now in high as I assume it’s weighting the front more.
More ground clearance too on the techy rocky stuff?

Sirwincealot

May 3, 2020
Surrey Hills, UK
I went out for a 30km ride yesterday with 750m of climbing. A real mix of downhill, tight single tracks and fire roads.

So far I’m really liking it in the high position. Much more involving and playful with reduced pedal strikes. It’s perhaps not quite as stable on steep descents but otherwise still really planted.

I need to tweak the saddle position a bit more. I dropped it slightly but it still felt a little cramped so probably need to slide it backwards as well.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I run my Rail in low. I might try high to see what the difference is, but most of my riding is steep techy off-piste (piss off @Gary ;) ) with fire road climbs so uphill performance is a low priority. More flickable would be nice, especially as I'm about to put a 170mm airshaft in the forks.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Pretty surprising the difference such a small change can make. Bike came with it in low position but changed to high and like the quicker steering. Coming from an old 26" EX9 that darted like a cat this was a big change. It's still slow steering but better for me in the high slot. Nice design idea from Trek.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
My Powerfly 9.7 is set on low. I like more slack, I suppose. It still wasn’t enough slack for me. I raised my handle bars 15mm and shortened stem by 10mm. I also moved the seat back the full extent that I could.

I was surprised at the big change that was in my downhill confidence and speed.
Update for this post from last year. I recently swapped my 160mm Yari with 180mm Zeb Ultimate and set the mino link on high setting. Rides very well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles