Which Lupine light with Bafang?

BelviGER

Feb 11, 2022
Germany
I want to treat myself to a nice bike light that doesn't need to be charged, and I really like the Lupine lights.
They are sold in a variety of Versions for differnt motor manufacturers but no Bafang (M620 in my case).

Has anybody installed a Lupine light on a Bafang bike?
And is it just a cable thing (where I could just redo the connectors myself in the worst case) or is it a voltage thing?

EFMAX

Apr 13, 2023
UK
The Lupine e-lights appear to be based around a 12v setup... the Bafang (on my motor) has a dedicated 12v output and it is a very simple 2 wire arrangement so you may find that compatibility is easier than you think.

Last edited:

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
What other high quality options are out there for a Bafang mid drive bike?

There are the big Monteer lights (6000, 8500, 12000), but they have no cut off for legal street riding, and I am unsure if they are compatible with a Bafang mid drive, or rather that the motor can provide enough Watts to them.

Last edited:

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
What other high quality options are out there for a Bafang mid drive bike?

There are the big Monteer lights (6000, 8500, 12000), but they have no cut off for legal street riding, and I am unsure if they are compatible with a Bafang mid drive, or rather that the motor can provide enough Watts to them.
Magicshine are great, there is the me2000 which will use 12W, so it should be ok.
Don’t go for the big ones if you want to use the internal light output, it’s useless as you do not demiver enough power

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
What would then be the appropriate way to wire a high watt light to the battery? By wiring a variable voltage input, fixed voltage output regulator right into the battery?

I am surprised I see so few talk about light on EMTBs, as there is an abundance of battery capacity for those. Is everyone only riding at daylight?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What would then be the appropriate way to wire a high watt light to the battery? By wiring a variable voltage input, fixed voltage output regulator right into the battery?

I am surprised I see so few talk about light on EMTBs, as there is an abundance of battery capacity for those. Is everyone only riding at daylight?
I think the problem is the 1t3 cable potentially only gives you 500ma and 6v. (I think) so most people just run lights with batteries.

This guy hardwired :

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France

I have a dc dc converter witha fixed output of 12v wired to a Y con’ector to the main battery

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Thanks to the both of you. Good to know my idea has been already made to work by others.

Are there any good alternatives to the Lupine, that offer high light output but are still street legal (beam cutoff for incoming traffic)?
According to the product page (see "flood light") of the Monteer 12000 the light seems to fit the bill, but I am a bit wary with those manufacturers, whereas I would fully put my trust in a brand like Lupine.
The crazy high light output of the Monteer is enticing though.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Thanks to the both of you. Good to know my idea has been already made to work by others.

Are there any good alternatives to the Lupine, that offer high light output but are still street legal (beam cutoff for incoming traffic)?
According to the product page (see "flood light") of the Monteer 12000 the light seems to fit the bill, but I am a bit wary with those manufacturers, whereas I would fully put my trust in a brand like Lupine.
I can tell you that I have the magicshine me2000 and the build quality is good! Very satisfied with the product, I do not know about the monteer but is should be good!
Also, after few night rides, I came to the conclusion that the handlebar light on his own is not enough, I double it with something in my helmet to follow where I look

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France

I’ve used this converter:
Je viens juste de trouver cet incroyable article sur AliExpress. Jetez-y un coup d'œil ! 2,73€ | SZWENGAO-Convertisseur de puissance abati eur, tension de Sochi, 24V 36V 48V 60V à 12V l'autorisation pipeline 3A 5A DC, 15-80V à 12V Buck

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
I have three basic lights I have used with batteries 7,4V in many years. I tried them with the 12V output on the M820 and they work perfectly. They are nothing like the really powerful ones, but good enough when paired with one on the helmet.

Something like this, with a wide lens.

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Thanks for the links.
Are there any other lights other than the Lupine with an aspherical lens or beam cutoff, to use them as street legal in the EU?
The Lupine sure is great, but I am getting 5x (claimed) lumens from a Monteer 12000 for the same price as the Lupine SL X, therefore I am tempted to get the Magicshine, but I would still like to have a helmet light, so getting a 12000 and a 6/8000 will then also become expensive.

If Magicshine had a light with an aspherical lens and 6000(-ish) lumens for cheaper, I would buy that in heartbeat.

Last edited:

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
I asked about ordering a Monteer 12000, without the battery pack, and Magicshine (Austria/Germany) claims their lights cannot be used on an ebike battery, is it safe to ignore that?

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
I asked about ordering a Monteer 12000, without the battery pack, and Magicshine (Austria/Germany) claims their lights cannot be used on an ebike battery, is it safe to ignore that?
I think you need to be careful on how much watts it will drain, and add that on top of your motor usage, if you are in turbo, it might ask for too much power than your battery can deliver.
Other than that, just check the voltage needed 🤷🏻‍♂️

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Thanks for the reply, @brbr .
The Monteer 12000 has a 14V 10Ah battery and they claim 2:30h battery life at max power, so power draw should not be more than 60W. I would assume the BMS of pretty much any battery can handle that.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles