Which helmet

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Still kinda new to ebike world but I’ve been hitting a few trails now and realising my dh helmet is just a bit too much for the kinda riding I’m doing on my ebike just wondering which helmets people have gone for that are still full face/convertible lightweight but still dh rated but are breathable for the climbs. Also if anyone knows of any shops that have any stock and discount codes if their is any as I have seen some that are a little pricey

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Went for a Fox so I could keep my hands on the handle bars and still drink my beer. :p
B5321650-BC17-4247-86AB-B517CC7E00FE.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Ste.g89 Take a look at the Bell Super 3R. It is a full face helmet which if you remove the chin bar it becomes the Bell Super 3, which can be bought as is. (Google for reviews) The chin bar can be bought separately if you buy the Super 3 and later change your mind and want the 3R. Both versions look good. My grandson thinks the Bell Super 3 looks "cool", so it must be. I have just bought the "3" for his birthday, got it from BikeInn (a Spanish company, hope I don't get any hassle from the courier).
PS: I'm on my second Bell Super; first was the "2" and currently on the "3". I didn't buy the version that comes with the detachable chin bar because I already have a FF helmet.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use the Bell SuperDH convertible. Has a light/GoPro mount and magnetic chin strap. LBS and Bell replaced my first one after I destroyed it. (Did it’s job). Not sure how it works with goggles but the vision was no problem. Vented pretty good too.

527D7618-6F86-4DAC-935F-8D67CE9FF788.jpeg

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I have been looking at a helmet for 3 months and tried on a lot of them (returned a few online and LBS). I ended up buying a Smith Helmet. I was not familiar with is brand at all for helmets (only glasses), but this is the most comfortable helmet I have found. I have a larger head 60cm so went for the size L.

Smith Session MIPS Helmet

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's a zillion threads on lightweight helmets .. these might get you started.

Carl had some to try in this thread :

This thread came up with lots of interesting alternatives :

Which led to - as I didn't put it in that thread :

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
@Ste.g89 Take a look at the Bell Super 3R. It is a full face helmet which if you remove the chin bar it becomes the Bell Super 3, which can be bought as is. (Google for reviews) The chin bar can be bought separately if you buy the Super 3 and later change your mind and want the 3R. Both versions look good. My grandson thinks the Bell Super 3 looks "cool", so it must be. I have just bought the "3" for his birthday, got it from BikeInn (a Spanish company, hope I don't get any hassle from the courier).
PS: I'm on my second Bell Super; first was the "2" and currently on the "3". I didn't buy the version that comes with the detachable chin bar because I already have a FF helmet.
I will have a look at that one now thanks. Bell do get some good reviews as well and I think my mrs gets discount directly from them with the NHS I’ll have to check thank you

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I will have a look at that one now thanks. Bell do get some good reviews as well and I think my mrs gets discount directly from them with the NHS I’ll have to check thank you
The problem will be finding one in a size that fits and a colour you can bear to wear. That is why I took the risk and ordered one from BikeInn the Spanish company. What was encouraging was that they gave me a precise date and named the courier. I have had an account with them for quite a few years, but all of my purchases were before Brexit.

Problems may arise if you want to return the helmet back to Spain. (Unsure about that, maybe someone on here knows for sure). However, the helmet has lots of adjustability. In addition to the usual turn dial at the back to tighten/loosen, the straps are easy to adjust and stay secure. A new feature is that the cradle is adjustable for height as well. You have to be firm with it and twist the contraption a bit to allow the lugs to move. You will understand that when you see it. The visor is movable and the helmet comes with mounts and straps for a camera.
The helmet is well ventilated for the Summer. So well ventilated that once the temperature gets below about 4degC I need to wear a skull cap to stop my bald head from freezing from wind burn.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
I rate my Bell Super Air R spherical, although it's not downhill rated. Super comfortable. Breathes really well. Don't notice the chinguard and now I hardly ever remove it.

Gordon
I do still like to ride downhill so I’d really like a helmet to do it all if you know what I mean

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
The problem will be finding one in a size that fits and a colour you can bear to wear. That is why I took the risk and ordered one from BikeInn the Spanish company. What was encouraging was that they gave me a precise date and named the courier. I have had an account with them for quite a few years, but all of my purchases were before Brexit.

Problems may arise if you want to return the helmet back to Spain. (Unsure about that, maybe someone on here knows for sure). However, the helmet has lots of adjustability. In addition to the usual turn dial at the back to tighten/loosen, the straps are easy to adjust and stay secure. A new feature is that the cradle is adjustable for height as well. You have to be firm with it and twist the contraption a bit to allow the lugs to move. You will understand that when you see it. The visor is movable and the helmet comes with mounts and straps for a camera.
The helmet is well ventilated for the Summer. So well ventilated that once the temperature gets below about 4degC I need to wear a skull cap to stop my bald head from freezing from wind burn.
I know delivery at the minute is a nightmare I originally ordered a MET parachute but they kept moving my delivery day back so I cancelled it and now looking for an alternative

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Smith Mainline.........
  • Downhill certified - ASTM F1952
Relatively light but more importantly it is well balanced so feels light. Loads of ventilation, 3 sets of pads to achieve a custom fit, proper chin strap retainer ( as per motorcycle helmet), MIPS and Koroyd .

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
I had a Fox Proframe for a good couple of years, the only reason I ended up getting rid of it was because the MIPS digging into my head on the brow. That was my only complaint with it, never really had a problem with the fixed peak.
i recently replaced it with a TLD Stages which so far I would say is an even better helmet than the Fox.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
my proframe was the same with the mips cutting into my head a bit, plus it cracked on my first proper off :D and the visor being fixed was a bit annoying.

using a leatt dbx 4.0 enduro which has the ability to run without the lower section but i've never found a good time to use it like that as it is still well ventilated and i feel much safer and can chin mount the gopro.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
I had a Fox Proframe for a good couple of years, the only reason I ended up getting rid of it was because the MIPS digging into my head on the brow. That was my only complaint with it, never really had a problem with the fixed peak.
i recently replaced it with a TLD Stages which so far I would say is an even better helmet than the Fox.
I have a Troy Lee design dh now and that’s great need to look into the stage one

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
my proframe was the same with the mips cutting into my head a bit, plus it cracked on my first proper off :D and the visor being fixed was a bit annoying.

using a leatt dbx 4.0 enduro which has the ability to run without the lower section but i've never found a good time to use it like that as it is still well ventilated and i feel much safer and can chin mount the gopro.

Going to look at that I like the look of that one

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whichever one fits your head. Is comfortable and doesn't wobble about.
Seriously.. They're all just dome shaped pieces of polystyrene with a thin plastic shell.
Every manufacturers helmets pass the same tests.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Whichever one fits your head. Is comfortable and doesn't wobble about.
Seriously.. They're all just dome shaped pieces of polystyrene with a thin plastic shell.
Every manufacturers helmets pass the same tests.
Just hard to be able to try helmets on at the minute most shops don’t have stock and most of its online so trying to get the best knowledge now before I order I don’t mind returning a couple if they don’t fit right

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Helmets are so personal, depending on the shape of the head. It either fits or it doesn't. The hammer, of course, helps with fitting ?
I have tried many different helmets...Giro, fitted with hammer...Sweet protection, fitted with a hammer...Poc, fitted with a hammer

Bell, fits like a glove and their MIPS system is clever.
Troy Lee fits like a glove, but expensive.

I tested yesterday Leatt, doesn't fit

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I have been looking at a helmet for 3 months and tried on a lot of them (returned a few online and LBS). I ended up buying a Smith Helmet. I was not familiar with is brand at all for helmets (only glasses), but this is the most comfortable helmet I have found. I have a larger head 60cm so went for the size L.

Smith Session MIPS Helmet

Same here, but I don't have a large head! Read loads of reviews of this helmet, and haven't been disappointed with it.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Like my full face Leatt a lot, and recommends to use a full face in any case

View attachment 60257
I have been looking at the leatt ones recently the enduro 4.0 with the removable chin guard but the padding looks really thin and isn’t any padding at the back of the helmet ( from a review I have seen ) so I wasn’t 100% convinced on this.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Same here, but I don't have a large head! Read loads of reviews of this helmet, and haven't been disappointed with it.
Does it not annoy you though having a d ring to fasten it? That’s my only draw back with the smith helmet if it had like the fid lock or something like that instead I’d of bought it but I have a d ring now and it’s so annoying

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Helmets are so personal, depending on the shape of the head. It either fits or it doesn't. The hammer, of course, helps with fitting ?
I have tried many different helmets...Giro, fitted with hammer...Sweet protection, fitted with a hammer...Poc, fitted with a hammer

Bell, fits like a glove and their MIPS system is clever.
Troy Lee fits like a glove, but expensive.

I tested yesterday Leatt, doesn't fit
I think after looking at a few I’d rather have a fixed full face helmet I did like the idea of convertible helmet at first but I’m just thinking I’d probably never use it without the chin guard anyway so I’m heading towards the smith helmet or the poc depending on how they fit that is

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does it not annoy you though having a d ring to fasten it? That’s my only draw back with the smith helmet if it had like the fid lock or something like that instead I’d of bought it but I have a d ring now and it’s so annoying
I have the Smiths and quite like the D-ring. I guess I'm used to them from motorcycle helmets though. I can do it up and take it off with gloves on no problem, takes literally 3 seconds and it means every time you tighten it to exactly the right amount so it's always comfortable.

One concern which put me off the fidlock on a previous full face was if you were in an accident, when I'm in one of my many accidents, if someone unfamiliar with the system was trying to remove it - like there's a branch stuck down your throat or something, I don't think they'd be able to release it - simple as it is, unless they did it by accident.

I definitely don't think it should be a reason NOT to choose a helmet - it's a more secure fastening system for starters and can't be knocked or pulled undone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles