Which helmet out of these four bad boys?

Helmets

• Smith Mainline (Koroyd/mips) £249

• POC Coron air spin (EPP/airspin/fibreglass) £203

• Fox Proframe (Mips) £189

• Bell Super3r (Mils) £140

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
One of the best features of the ST1 is the ability to carry twin Euro sized banana's in the banana dispensers

Not much good for U.K. riders to buy now. By the looks of it at the end of December we will no longer have access to Euro bananas.
Can you buy adapters for Imperial sized bananas for it?
I would assume you can as it is an Imperial Stormtroopers' helmet, so it should be able to utilize imperial bananas.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Interesting how fox proframe is winning over the Smith, is this fanboyism or is there a technical reason for choosing the proframe and Koroyd could mean it’s safer than the Fox hmmmm. I know the fidlock is definitely the best of the 4 helmets, the smith yes is a pain but you quickly work that one out.....zero votes for POC despite being garys favourite.....some votes for the flexi chin jaw shatterer bellheadend too! I feel bad for the POC....I’m going to try dial that one in next I think

Errol1098

Jul 8, 2018
Sydney Australia
Interesting how fox proframe is winning over the Smith, is this fanboyism or is there a technical reason for choosing the proframe and Koroyd could mean it’s safer than the Fox hmmmm. I know the fidlock is definitely the best of the 4 helmets, the smith yes is a pain but you quickly work that one out.....zero votes for POC despite being garys favourite.....some votes for the flexi chin jaw shatterer bellheadend too! I feel bad for the POC....I’m going to try dial that one in next I think
Fox may be the fan boy thing but here in Australia none of the big retailers have the Smith. I have a Pro-frame carbon and a drop-frame but interestingly I don't use their dirt bike helmets as I find them uncomfortable and I use a Bell and Alpinestars for that. I work in motorcycles so get really good deals on Fox and only reasonable deals on Bell, so that has a lot to do with what equipment I use.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
That smith sounds interesting but there is no way for me to try one on in Aus.

If I could get my head to fit the fox it'd be my first alternative, but I can't.

So this bell shaped head appreciates the adjustable cheek pads of my bell super 3 r.....but I'll probably retire it soon and buy a bell super air spherical for the better ventilation / improved rear mechanism and what sounds like improved concussion preventing technology. My old bell super 3 r has a frustrating habit of the rear pins popping out of the adjuster thingy . It never happens in use, but perhaps once a month I'll put the lid on and realise it's gone wonky again. Easy enough to pop them back in, but I'm glad the super air has a better designed rear adjuster.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
That smith sounds interesting but there is no way for me to try one on in Aus.

If I could get my head to fit the fox it'd be my first alternative, but I can't.

So this bell shaped head appreciates the adjustable cheek pads of my bell super 3 r.....but I'll probably retire it soon and buy a bell super air spherical for the better ventilation / improved rear mechanism and what sounds like improved concussion preventing technology. My old bell super 3 r has a frustrating habit of the rear pins popping out of the adjuster thingy . It never happens in use, but perhaps once a month I'll put the lid on and realise it's gone wonky again. Easy enough to pop them back in, but I'm glad the super air has a better designed rear adjuster.

Does that chin bar stil flex though like the 3r? Of all the helmets the bell 3r is the easiest to dial in, just twist and your done! The irony

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
the POC looks shit, perhaps thats why. the vents and the fox strap clasp are great and I got a good deal on the proframe at £140 so that sealed it for me :D

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Basically for riding trails, hitting bike parks and for compensating for noobness trying to do things far exceeding ability!

Be interesting to see who picks what

View attachment 42297

From left to right:

Smith (green)
POC
Fox
Bell
personally I much prefer, when necessary, the Troy Lee Stage, Bell helmets have really poor finishing, the Fox doesn't have an adjustable retention cradle or peak, POC just look too big, but, regardless of my opinions, whatever fits your head the best is probably the main reason for choosing any of your suggestions.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Well ventilated and light full helmets, less protection.

I mean the Super Air and the Fox Programe are great for aggressive trail or even some enduro but don’t buy it for bikeparks or so.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
I’m a massive Poc Coron fan, I have had one one 2 years. I would love a Fox but I have a head like Kryton from Red Dwarf. I have a smith trail helmet and love the fit so I have just ordered the new Smith full face.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Sorry if I mistaken, but I do belive this is the lightest yet full DH certificates helmet , sub 1kg, for the OP if he looks the max protection on the lowest weight ...

s1600_WERX_Imprint_MIPS_Helmet_Black_Red.jpg

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
Basically for riding trails, hitting bike parks and for compensating for noobness trying to do things far exceeding ability!

Be interesting to see who picks what

View attachment 42297

From left to right:

Smith (green)
POC
Fox
Bell

I agree with the rest, I have two of the Fox Proframes as I bought them during CRC's discount at 40% off and our the 4 which I have tried at the local store, the Fox Proframe fits my head the best. I had the Bell previously which I sold off because of the sizing fit

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Sorry if I mistaken, but I do belive this is the lightest yet full DH certificates helmet , sub 1kg, for the OP if he looks the max protection on the lowest weight ...

s1600_WERX_Imprint_MIPS_Helmet_Black_Red.jpg

Not quite, I think that would be the Smith Mainline which is around 800g, mips, dh and koroyd which none of the other options have

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The chinbar in the bell super air felt stiffer in my highly scientific carpark test tiday.

I met someone yesterday who had the super air and it wasn’t flexing like the super r3, that thing should be banned! For me Bell is off the list because of it.

In the end I’ve gone Smith Mainline, it’s the one that ticks all the boxes, my boxes at least. D ring is a pain but a small price for the extra security, it’s comfy enough albeit the cheek pads abit pressed up against me. Fox felt in the end like it was sitting on me rather than me sitting it it. The POC is like a head condom it’s so snug, the cheek pads are impossible to fit me but they would send smaller ones out, doesn’t matter though as I went out with the smith and was happy :)....

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
yea, like that.. if you get a headache you know youre on the right track :D
but seriously, yea like that
But even more seriously....,,,. no it’s too small , a helmet shouldn’t be that tight , it should feel snug ! I’ve made the mistake of buying a medium 100% aircraft helmet which was too tight but thought it was fine . After 2hrs of uplift riding I couldn’t wait to get the effing thing off ! Felt like my head was in one those amazon tribal head shrinking devices !
Im sure fox pro/dropframe come in 2 sizes and you can buy 2 sizes of pads for each helmet !

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Personally I’m not bothered about fancy decals or snazzy paint jobs, my Bell super air R does the job it was designed for and that’s what counts in my book, it’s comfortable to wear has slots for riding glasses, plenty of exhaust ports and a place for goggle stowage when I take them off.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
£249? The margins must be huge. That's more than my Hans track lid.
Having said that, I guess how much is a head worth?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
If you shop around you can get a bargain too, I bought my super air r off eBay for £130 brand new less than a month after it was released onto the market because it didn’t have the supplied GoPro mount and the bag, I won’t ever mount my GoPro on my head and my wife can make me a bag if I need one which I haven’t so far ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is there any independent testing of the relative virtues of koroyd v EPP v EPS? I went with koroyd for my open face ( Endura MT 500). EPS seems so basic and having to chuck an expensive full face after one hit could prove costly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles