Which helmet

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
I have the Smiths and quite like the D-ring. I guess I'm used to them from motorcycle helmets though. I can do it up and take it off with gloves on no problem, takes literally 3 seconds and it means every time you tighten it to exactly the right amount so it's always comfortable.

One concern which put me off the fidlock on a previous full face was if you were in an accident, when I'm in one of my many accidents, if someone unfamiliar with the system was trying to remove it - like there's a branch stuck down your throat or something, I don't think they'd be able to release it - simple as it is, unless they did it by accident.

I definitely don't think it should be a reason NOT to choose a helmet - it's a more secure fastening system for starters and can't be knocked or pulled undone.
I know what you mean it’s not a reason not to buy it but with most helmets being very similar it’s just one of them things that is a con compared to others like the poc that I’m looking at I’m just being fussy I know ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
If you have ever used D-ring everything else feels a bit unreliable. It's actually one thing that my current helmet lacks and pushes me to buy new one.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
If you have ever used D-ring everything else feels a bit unreliable. It's actually one thing that my current helmet lacks and pushes me to buy new one.
My Troy Lee dh helmet is a d ring but I used it for trail riding the other day and with taking it on and off it was a little annoying plus with it being a dh I was hot as anything

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
my mate recently went otb and face planted. He was wearing an open face helmet that uses the familiar plastic clip closure......it just snapped open and the helmet was ripped off his head. I do not know about the fidlock thingy but I do not think a helmet can get a downhill rating unless it is secured with the D ring type. I find it easy enough on my Smith Mainline.............and it is not as if I am having to take my helmet off every 5 minutes!!

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I rate my Bell Super Air R spherical, although it's not downhill rated. Super comfortable. Breathes really well. Don't notice the chinguard and now I hardly ever remove it.

Gordon

Just got one this year and love it so far. Super comfy and light weight. I've only ridden once with the chin bar as most of my riding so far this year has been flat locals, but when I did ride some rougher terrain I didn't even notice the chin bar. Super easy to convert. And it's not stupidly expensive.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Don't know if available where ever you live, but mine is below. Breaths extremely well, fits great, and has notches in the pad inside for my glasses to go through. All the other full face IU bought or tried did not have the allowance for the glasses, and none were as easy to breath in by a long shot. I notice very little difference in cooling and breathing between it and the half shells I used previously, and i live in the U.S. south where it's hot and very humid in summer. The only other helmet that I know of that I think would do these similarly well is the Fox Proframe (but did not get to try it).

Lastly, Kali will replace your helmet if you crash it. You send them your damaged helmet so that they can analyze what happened (so they can make their helmets safer), and they send you a replacement.

Last edited:

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
my mate recently went otb and face planted. He was wearing an open face helmet that uses the familiar plastic clip closure......it just snapped open and the helmet was ripped off his head. I do not know about the fidlock thingy but I do not think a helmet can get a downhill rating unless it is secured with the D ring type. I find it easy enough on my Smith Mainline.............and it is not as if I am having to take my helmet off every 5 minutes!!
Yea I think I’m going to go with the smith mainline like everyone is saying it’s a lot more secure I was between that and the poc helmet but as much as I like the poc I think it’s still more suited to dh more than trail

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Don't know if available where ever you live, but mine is below. Breaths extremely well, fits great, and has notches in the pad inside for my glasses to go through. All the other full face IU bought or tried did not have the allowance for the glasses, and none were as easy to breath in by a long shot. I notice very little difference in cooling and breathing between it and the half shells I used previously, and i live in the U.S. south where it's hot and very humid in summer. The only other helmet that I know of that I think would do these similarly well is the Fox Proframe (but did not get to try it).

Lastly, Kali will replace your helmet if you crash it. You send them your damaged helmet so that they can analyze what happened (so they can make their helmets safer), and they send you a replacement.

Thanks I’ll have a look at that one don’t think I’ve seen that one before
I've ended with multiple helmets, elbow, and knee pads from them. For me they have been the most comfortable helmets I've had, including many other big name brands. They are all about safety. If you are inclined, and have some time, listen to the podcast interview linked below for an interview with the owner of Kali. Pretty long, but informative and entertaining, at least it was to me.

Cheers! Good luck.

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
I have the Smith Mainline full face too. Bought a medium size a few months ago and really like it. The fit is really comfortable for me and it feels pretty light and airy. With local stores not stocking much in the way of full-face helmets I had to order mine from an online retailer. I measured my head many times, read as much about the helmet and the "fit" as I could and then took a bit of a gamble and ordered one. Thankfully it fits well so no regrets!
As for the d-ring fastener, l don't have much issue with undoing it. One of the rings has a little tag on it which if you tug will help separate the rings and allow you to undo the strap. I wear glasses with my helmet so removing a full face is always going to be a bit faffy as I have to remove my glasses first and put them somewhere safe, so the slight extra faff from a d-ring is no problem for me. Personally I prefer the d-ring as when it is fastened it feels really secure and comfortable compared with other types of clip.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
I've ended with multiple helmets, elbow, and knee pads from them. For me they have been the most comfortable helmets I've had, including many other big name brands. They are all about safety. If you are inclined, and have some time, listen to the podcast interview linked below for an interview with the owner of Kali. Pretty long, but informative and entertaining, at least it was to me.

Cheers! Good luck.

They are not dh rated are they I’ve had a look and I’d like one that’s dh rated as well just incase I do some uplift days with it

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
I have the Smith Mainline full face too. Bought a medium size a few months ago and really like it. The fit is really comfortable for me and it feels pretty light and airy. With local stores not stocking much in the way of full-face helmets I had to order mine from an online retailer. I measured my head many times, read as much about the helmet and the "fit" as I could and then took a bit of a gamble and ordered one. Thankfully it fits well so no regrets!
As for the d-ring fastener, l don't have much issue with undoing it. One of the rings has a little tag on it which if you tug will help separate the rings and allow you to undo the strap. I wear glasses with my helmet so removing a full face is always going to be a bit faffy as I have to remove my glasses first and put them somewhere safe, so the slight extra faff from a d-ring is no problem for me. Personally I prefer the d-ring as when it is fastened it feels really secure and comfortable compared with other types of clip.
Yea I think that’s what I’m going for now after lots of reviewing the smith seems best for me I did like the poc but think that’s more for park days or uplift days

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
They are not dh rated are they I’ve had a look and I’d like one that’s dh rated as well just incase I do some uplift days with it
I read somewhere that they are in fact that strong, but that they didn't get the rating due the wholes being large (meaning ventilated). Was claimed that a slightly larger rock could MAYBE get through one of the wholes. Just what I read somewhere, and have no link. May email them and ask.

Ste.g89

Feb 5, 2021
Manchester
Ended up getting the smith mainline well happy with it

FFDFDD0D-B294-4365-A67A-CD1EA576F0FF.jpeg

Feb 27, 2020
home
I have now just gone to a chest mount for now until I find a top helmet mount
The helmet uses 3 M6 brass inserts to attach the visor to the helmet. If only I had a 3d scan of the helmet (without visor) I could design a visor with integrated camera mount or a chin mount (working on that) that fits like a glove...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im hoping to try on the new leatt 4.0 enduro. Itd be nice to have a removeable chin bar helmet option. Ive wanted a leatt 4.0 but now the 4.0 enduro adds that feature. Leatt makes some pretty nice stuff. Hope it fits. I have mediums in a tld d3, a1 and a fox speedframe and all fit well

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Im hoping to try on the new leatt 4.0 enduro. Itd be nice to have a removeable chin bar helmet option. Ive wanted a leatt 4.0 but now the 4.0 enduro adds that feature. Leatt makes some pretty nice stuff. Hope it fits. I have mediums in a tld d3, a1 and a fox speedframe and all fit well
Did you see the inner lining of Enduro? No thank you ...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree....in fact I think the whole thing looks flimsy. I chose the Smith Mainline having dismissed all the removeable chin bar models as little more than open face helmets with a handle to carry it!!:p
I wear the Smith for the mast majority of rides only using a open face helmet for simple rides out with the dogs when I also wear no armour. I have not found it hot or restrictive in terms of vision and is in fact more comfortable than my Endura open face on longer rides. I really do not believe that the removeable chin bar models are capable of withstanding any reasonable impact especially if that impact is even slightly angled to one side and most look like they are likely to break just by trying to remove the chin bar!!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Did you see the inner lining of Enduro? No thank you ...
Thanks, thats too bad. The reason i wanted the enduro is because i thought itd be as solidly built as the regular 4.0 and just have a removeable chin bar. That liner is a deal breaker. I want a liner like the regular 4.0 and removeable. 2 liners would be preferable. I have 2 liners and 2 sets of cheek pads for my tld d3 carbon atm. I was it afyer every ride. Next day put a clean set of pads in while the others dry afyer ive washed them in the shower. I wonder if a person could get a couple liners for a regular 4.0 and fix some velcro attachments in a 4.0 enduro to have better pads that are removeable. Other than the shit pads the helmet looks like itll hold up better than most of the other fragile enduro full faces. Fox, 100%, tld look like theyd crumble way to ez. My buddies fox was toast in a week from nothing substantial. Id rather just take my cheek pads out of my d3 for the climb than buy some shit overpriced "enduro" lid. Too bad, i like leatt and i was pretty psuched on that 4.0 enduro knowing theyve got a sweet line up of products.What helmet do you have?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Thanks, thats too bad. The reason i wanted the enduro is because i thought itd be as solidly built as the regular 4.0 and just have a removeable chin bar. That liner is a deal breaker. I want a liner like the regular 4.0 and removeable. 2 liners would be preferable. I have 2 liners and 2 sets of cheek pads for my tld d3 carbon atm. I was it afyer every ride. Next day put a clean set of pads in while the others dry afyer ive washed them in the shower. I wonder if a person could get a couple liners for a regular 4.0 and fix some velcro attachments in a 4.0 enduro to have better pads that are removeable. Other than the shit pads the helmet looks like itll hold up better than most of the other fragile enduro full faces. Fox, 100%, tld look like theyd crumble way to ez. My buddies fox was toast in a week from nothing substantial. Id rather just take my cheek pads out of my d3 for the climb than buy some shit overpriced "enduro" lid. Too bad, i like leatt and i was pretty psuched on that 4.0 enduro knowing theyve got a sweet line up of products.What helmet do you have?
My current helmet is Bell Super 3R for almost 2 years, like that helmet alot, saved me many times, on one crash I even felt how MIPS system saved my neck, but it's just time for a new one, so I now have Bell Super Air on order and should be delivered this week. Not 100% sure I will like so movable inner shell design and it looks like the sun visor doesn't go low enough, but it was quite good price so I'll give it a try, otherwise I'll just return it back and get something else. I have rarely used chin bar on 3R so I have now decided to go with Super Air without 'R', it also looks like the chin bar for Air to be flimsier as it is on 3R. For me the big factor was to have some kind of sweat management in a helmet and integrated and quickly removable gopro/light mount because I ride quite alot at night and don't wanna glue mounts on the helmet, this narrowed helmet selection down a alot ... Otherwise visually and safetywise I do like new POC Kortal and Tactal helmets but features such as light mounts are unfortunately non-existent on these helmets and prices are also in their own price range ...

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
My current helmet is Bell Super 3R for almost 2 years, like that helmet alot, saved me many times, on one crash I even felt how MIPS system saved my neck, but it's just time for a new one, so I now have Bell Super Air on order and should be delivered this week. Not 100% sure I will like so movable inner shell design and it looks like the sun visor doesn't go low enough, but it was quite good price so I'll give it a try, otherwise I'll just return it back and get something else. I have rarely used chin bar on 3R so I have now decided to go with Super Air without 'R', it also looks like the chin bar for Air to be flimsier as it is on 3R. For me the big factor was to have some kind of sweat management in a helmet and integrated and quickly removable gopro/light mount because I ride quite alot at night and don't wanna glue mounts on the helmet, this narrowed helmet selection down a alot ... Otherwise visually and safetywise I do like new POC Kortal and Tactal helmets but features such as light mounts are unfortunately non-existent on these helmets and prices are also in their own price range ...
Thanks. I do like those mounts on the bell. More shoild fo that. I want to get a go pro and i night ride in the fall.
Id like a solid ff option with removeable chin to add to my options. I figure that adds another half shell and ff to the options along with being able yo use it as both a half shell and ff on tbe same tide. We have quite a few rides where its long up to a long down. I want more airflow/venting than my tld d3 for that reason. Im not willing to get a one and done helmet with no padding though. I'd sacrifice the crazy amount of venting, despite seeing their usefulness, for real world durability and comfort and thus longevity. I might just wait and see if they add proper pads next year. Thanks for tgat vid

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have a Bell Super DH convertible. Despite what others claim the literature does say it is rated for down hill. It's very comfy and well vented. It's a bit on the heavy side for an open face style but light for full face. I've only recently started wearing it FF but now that I can remove and replace the chin guard easily without having to take the helmet off my head I love it. This did take a bit of practice but now I've sussed it it is easy. I would buy another, even though it's a bit pricey, you do get two for one. I suspect however that hard core down hill riders i.e. those who use ski lifts and uplifts might want to go for something more substantial whilst X country riders may prefer something lighter. For my riding which is a bit of both it's perfect.

Al

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Bell Super DH is indeed DH rated (that's why is also heavier) I haven't noticed anyone would say otherwise ...
How do you like Spherical MIPS on this helmet? Do you feel the outher shell moving while riding?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Bell Super DH is indeed DH rated (that's why is also heavier) I haven't noticed anyone would say otherwise ...
How do you like Spherical MIPS on this helmet? Do you feel the outher shell moving while riding?
I think someone said it wasn't DH rated and someone else said that it MUST have a D link fastening in order to comply, which is patently not true as it has a magnetic fastening and does comply. I haven't noticed the shell moving. It's a comfy helmet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles