Levo Gen 2 Which Coil Shocks Are Supported on Turbo Levo?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
After a year of waffling, I ordered an EXT Arma. The main motivation is getting beat up and bounced around by all the washboard hardpack on my regular trails. I run the lowest fork and shock pressure that I can get away with and compression full open. Rebound is only stiff enough to eliminate bucking on the small jumps near my house.

I don't know if a coil will help, but the only way to learn is to try one. I'm also considering a Vorsprung Smashpot in the fork for the same reason.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Interesting...$1200 with a max rider weight limit of 235 lbs for the Levo.
You already pay a premium for Spec and now you have to pay an additional premium if you want to go coil. My "light" ebike is going to be an Orbea.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I’ve been running a CCDB coil Inline with a progressive spring in my Levo Comp...but that model shock is not a Levo/Stumpjumper version, so I have to run it upside down to clear the frame.

75270C18-3ABF-4488-999B-2A70F2C185BD.jpeg
So now the strongest part of the coil shock is positioned where other’s coil shafts broke on their Levo’s.

I’m not sure if this will help prevent my shock’s shaft from breaking...I don’t really ride that much downhill, just wanted to try coil.

I most likely will run air (I have an X2, DPX2, Mara, and McLeod) on my lighter SL.

Also, I’m near the weight limit...

To me, both (Levo Comp and SL Carbon Comp) were excellent values when I bought them...I’m still very happy with them...and there wasn’t anything equivalent back then...there are more choices now.

Last edited:

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
As much as I appreciate the anecdotes, the goal of this thread is to gather concrete info, as in official feedback (or as close as we can get, it's the internet after all :) ) from the manufacturers. You said Öhlins "backs it up". Do you have a source for that? Even just an email reply is ok, just trying to engage the manufacturers directly.

Full disclosure: I'm unconvinced about Öhlins for a couple of reasons: 1) Specialized stopped using their stuff 2) the shaft on the coil shock looks pretty wimpy. I couldn't find any specs on the actual diameter or material used. Maybe it's fine, but would be nice to have specific info.

I want to change the thread title to something more useful, just having trouble capturing the goal and expectation. Like "official coil shock thread" is too presumptuous. Anyway will try to fix it.
I drive my ttx22 coil for 2 years on the levo no problem, 3 weeks ago a service can be done at ohlins, all good! the front eylet has 2 rubber rings in addition as a distance, so the damper can absorb the side load better. and the ttx22 is specially tuned for the levo from the factory shimstack. for me the best price performance package!!! 210x52.5 long.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Full disclosure: I'm unconvinced about Öhlins for a couple of reasons: 1) Specialized stopped using their stuff 2) the shaft on the coil shock looks pretty wimpy. I couldn't find any specs on the actual diameter or material used. Maybe it's fine, but would be nice to have specific info.

I spoke to Ohlins directly when figuring this out and they reccommended the TTX. (Ofcourse they did.... )

TFTuned also recommended the Ohlins, and I figure they know a thing or two about suspension.

As for the shaft, the DBCOIL IL uses a 8mm shaft, the ohlins 10mm. (Measured that myself)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I spoke to Ohlins directly when figuring this out and they reccommended the TTX. (Ofcourse they did.... )

Any chance you can get a citation/quote for this? I'd love to add it to the list in the first post but can't go on just anecdotes as it's not the point of this thread. Just a copy/paste from an email is fine, I'm just trying to have some accountability.

TFTuned also recommended the Ohlins, and I figure they know a thing or two about suspension.

I fully respect TFTuned's experience, but they are not providing the warranty. That's the goal of this thread, to get response about support direct from the manufacturer.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Been riding the TTX on my Levo for about 2 years now. Best upgrade to the bike!
What is the model and size of the shock specifically ? I love Ohlins and want to do a coil set up on my new 2021 Turbo Levo and it sounds like Ohlins might be the way to go.
Thanks

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
@Bigtuna00 your cane creek experience is interesting. My coil kitsuma which was recommended as suitable also moved the top bush and has play where the shaft enters the sealhead. Not leaking yet although it's only done about 7 rides.
I send the supplier a video and they claim the play is fine. I'm less convinced.
This is on a 20 kenevo.
I kind of regret not spending a bit more for the ext.

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
I’ve been running a CCDB coil Inline with a progressive spring in my Levo Comp...but that model shock is not a Levo/Stumpjumper version, so I have to run it upside down to clear the frame.

View attachment 55729 So now the strongest part of the coil shock is positioned where other’s coil shafts broke on their Levo’s.

I’m not sure if this will help prevent my shock’s shaft from breaking...I don’t really ride that much downhill, just wanted to try coil.

I most likely will run air (I have an X2, DPX2, Mara, and McLeod) on my lighter SL.

Also, I’m near the weight limit...

To me, both (Levo Comp and SL Carbon Comp) were excellent values when I bought them...I’m still very happy with them...and there wasn’t anything equivalent back then...there are more choices now.
Hello have the same shock but snaped the shaft how is yours handling so for ith inverted setup ???

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
@Bigtuna00 your cane creek experience is interesting. My coil kitsuma which was recommended as suitable also moved the top bush and has play where the shaft enters the sealhead. Not leaking yet although it's only done about 7 rides.
I send the supplier a video and they claim the play is fine. I'm less convinced.
This is on a 20 kenevo.
I kind of regret not spending a bit more for the ext.

I know CC says it's ok, but a 9.5mm shaft just doesn't cut it on these bikes IMO (unless maybe it's made from something super strong a la the MRP but even theirs is 14mm). Worse comes to worst, buy the EXT and save the CC as a spare for when you have to send the EXT for service :)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Play evident in the kitsuma after a handful of rides.

And the displaced upper bush
IMG_20210418_123807 (1).jpg

Based on this I would not recommend, even though the shock feels great.
The supplier claim the play is ok & the bush displacement could be due to frame misalignment... I kind of wish it would fail so I could get a refund.

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
but surely it's the thin shaft that will take the twist and snap next time.
next breakage will replace the shaft with a replacement shaft that is harder witch is used in injection industry they come in standard size :cool:
seem like the oem shaft it's hardness is not so high

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
next breakage will replace the shaft with a replacement shaft that is harder witch is used in injection industry they come in standard size :cool:
seem like the oem shaft it's hardness is not so high
Sounds like you've got all bases covered.?

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Hello have the same shock but snaped the shaft how is yours handling so for ith inverted setup ???
Mine is fine so far…no issues.

That said, I’m not doing any big drops or jumps…if I was, I’d swap it for something else.

Also, if I couldn’t have mounted it upside down…I’d have swapped it.

My assumption is that the top bolt doesn’t get as much stress since the mounting bolt is smaller. It is still a risk.

Last edited:

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
The new 2021 DHX2 now has a 9.5mm shaft.
The brand new 2022 DHX even 14mm?? Looks like...

The question is, does Fox's statement still apply to these new shocks?
I would like to use the DHX..

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
Fox US:
„Yes, even though the DHX has a thicker shaft, the side-load pressures due to the length of the strut still create a problem.“

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
"You have to ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky?' "

Maybe ask a few more. What would I be doing on the bike to break the shaft? Probably landing a big drop or riding fast down a seriously chunky slope. What will the bike do when the shaft breaks? Probably nothing predictable. What will happen to me? Probably something painful.

:D

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I thin it's pretty clear Fox wants nothing to do with it. Plenty of other (better) options at this point anyway.

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
How are you finding the 11.6?

What weight are you and what spring did they supply with the shock?
First ride last Wednesday and felt great. Brake bumps and rocks seem to disappear compared to my previous set up (38 and x2). Another rider following me noticed that I seemed to be faster. On a tight switchback, I just put my weight on the outside pedal, thrust the hips and rear tire followed and glued to the ground. First time I did that move without putting my foot out for support and without skidding. The rider commented that I did a "ninja move". Second ride, hopefully, tomorrow.

I am about 155 to 160 lbs with riding gears and the spring included is 500 lbs/in.

See attached. First time riding this intense - check my average and max heart rate.

ride.jpg

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
First ride last Wednesday and felt great. Brake bumps and rocks seem to disappear compared to my previous set up (38 and x2). Another rider following me noticed that I seemed to be faster. On a tight switchback, I just put my weight on the outside pedal, thrust the hips and rear tire followed and glued to the ground. First time I did that move without putting my foot out for support and without skidding. The rider commented that I did a "ninja move". Second ride, hopefully, tomorrow.

I am about 155 to 160 lbs with riding gears and the spring included is 500 lbs/in.

See attached. First time riding this intense - check my average and max heart rate.
Did you measure the sag?

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Did you measure the sag?
No I did not. Plug and play. I gave Push my riding weight and riding style and they did their suspension magic. Already had about 80 miles on Era and 11/6 and this combo is legit. My riding buddies noticed that I was carrying more speed and faster that my previous set up. I agree as I am setting up PRs in the last few days.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
No I did not. Plug and play. I gave Push my riding weight and riding style and they did their suspension magic. Already had about 80 miles on Era and 11/6 and this combo is legit. My riding buddies noticed that I was carrying more speed and faster that my previous set up. I agree as I am setting up PRs in the last few days.
I would suggest measuring the sag, you may find out you are on an incorrect spring. Or if you are completely happy with it don't. Sometimes ignorance is bliss with some suspension lol.

Ntinos

Oct 5, 2020
Athens, Greece
I’m looking at the TTX and have been advised to go with the 708 lb spring. I’m about 106kg in riding gear. I don’t want to end up smashing through the travel and since I don’t think there’s a bigger spring available I need to be sure it’s the right thing. How do you find shock in terms of is it still poppy and do you run through the travel too quickly.
I’d also be interested if anyone on here is running a coil and around my weight for comparison.

Which Levo ?(year)

I am 95 kg, and i have on my Levo SL TTX with 708lbs sping (+cascade link) and it is fine

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles