• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Where to start with Compression settings on new Rockshox forks?

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Just fitted a set of Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 29ers w/160mm travel to my 2019 Comp Carbon Levo. The SRAM Trailhead site says that at 107kg I should run 93psi and -3 on the rebound. What it doesn’t suggest though is where to start with HSC and LSC. I’m unable to get out and ride much at the moment due to family, weather, Christmas and Covid. Can anyone suggest where to start so I have a baseline for when I can get out?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
if you are limited in riding time leave both open and just ride out on some mellow track close to home.. The LSC controls the speed of compression on small bumps and undulating ground so that sort of terrain should be easy to find without going too far. Dial in some LSC progressively and feel how the bike responds on that sort of ground. I have found on most forks I have used dialing in about a quarter of the total LSC adjustment is usually about right. What you are doing is controlling the speed of compression largely at the top half of the full fork travel which you want to be fairly plush but controlled. You can leave HSC open until you go for a decent ride that involves some heavier compression and bigger hits. Again in my experience this is an adjustment you really do on the fly depending on the terrain you expect to encounter. It is often just fine to have HSC open on mild terrain, but between one and three clicks in for bigger hits...e.g one or two clicks for trails with bigger compressions and small jumps...3 clicks for bike park.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Does increasing LSC affect small bump compliance? To have the fork as plush as can be do you leave the LSC open? If you do increase when does it come more into play- at half compression?

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
if you are limited in riding time leave both open and just ride out on some mellow track close to home.. The LSC controls the speed of compression on small bumps and undulating ground so that sort of terrain should be easy to find without going too far. Dial in some LSC progressively and feel how the bike responds on that sort of ground. I have found on most forks I have used dialing in about a quarter of the total LSC adjustment is usually about right. What you are doing is controlling the speed of compression largely at the top half of the full fork travel which you want to be fairly plush but controlled. You can leave HSC open until you go for a decent ride that involves some heavier compression and bigger hits. Again in my experience this is an adjustment you really do on the fly depending on the terrain you expect to encounter. It is often just fine to have HSC open on mild terrain, but between one and three clicks in for bigger hits...e.g one or two clicks for trails with bigger compressions and small jumps...3 clicks for bike park.

That’s great advice, thanks for taking the time to share. I’ll do as you suggest, I need to bed in a new rotor locally so I’ll use that time to also dial in the LSC then wait until I can get out properly to tweak the HSC from open. Cheers!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Does increasing LSC affect small bump compliance? To have the fork as plush as can be do you leave the LSC open? If you do increase when does it come more into play- at half compression?
It controls the compression when that compression is relatively slow and that is the case when riding undulating ground and small lumps but can also be the case when entering a berm for example. The suspension may compress quite a bit but it is typically progressive as opposed to the more violent/fast compression when landing a jump or hitting bigger obstacles at speed. Every suspension setting is a compromise and the variety of demands on the suspension during a ride invariably means sacrificing a little initial plushness for better overall control. Just how much LSC is needed to find the best compromise depends on the factory tune of the fork, how many tokens are in use, the sag setting/pressure etc

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles