• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered I don't even know where to start...

Mymojoe

Sep 3, 2019
Brisbane
I am doing some research on buying an ebike. I used to ride a hard tail pedal bike, but as Iife became busy, I lost fitness and time to ride.. then when I did ride randomly, I was too unfit to enjoy it. Ebike makes sense for me. but I have no idea where to begin..

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think the first question is ... where are you going to be riding?
If you are just going to be riding the paths along the river then a hard tail would be ok but maybe a hybrid might be a better bet - as a commuter they do get along a bit quicker. Of course, if you are going to ride Nerang, Daisy Hill, Gap Creek or places like that you will want a full suspension bike.
Personally I think that if you are just looking to build some fitness riding all sorts of areas on & off-road then a hard tail such as a Giant Fathom or an Avanti Montari- E Sport. Those will work ok on the paved areas as well as most of the easier dirt trails.
My recommendation is to check out your local bike shops and see what they sell. You should get some decent deals on 2019 models as the 2020 bikes are now arriving in store.

Mymojoe

Sep 3, 2019
Brisbane
I think the first question is ... where are you going to be riding?
If you are just going to be riding the paths along the river then a hard tail would be ok but maybe a hybrid might be a better bet - as a commuter they do get along a bit quicker. Of course, if you are going to ride Nerang, Daisy Hill, Gap Creek or places like that you will want a full suspension bike.
Personally I think that if you are just looking to build some fitness riding all sorts of areas on & off-road then a hard tail such as a Giant Fathom or an Avanti Montari- E Sport. Those will work ok on the paved areas as well as most of the easier dirt trails.
My recommendation is to check out your local bike shops and see what they sell. You should get some decent deals on 2019 models as the 2020 bikes are now arriving in store.

I liked the Scott Genius I rode yesterday, but not sure spending $7k is the right thing to do straight up..
Coming from a off road/dirt bike back ground I am keen for a full suspension bike.. I want to gain some fitness, but ride socially also. I'll keep looking at shops and researching info... thanks for responding.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I liked the Scott Genius I rode yesterday, but not sure spending $7k is the right thing to do straight up..
Coming from a off road/dirt bike back ground I am keen for a full suspension bike.. I want to gain some fitness, but ride socially also. I'll keep looking at shops and researching info... thanks for responding.

This bike is an absolute bargain right now!

Merida eOne Sixty 900E E-Mountain Bike Black/Gold (2019)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Was what my first ebike was - purchased November and having a love/hate relationship. I love riding it and find the componentry much better than the Levo I bought mid year for $1500 more.
I think the twinlock is totally unnecessary on an ebike. Have it on my Genius and love it there but really don't use it on the eGenius. I am also frustrated with the 500Wh battery as only get 40km on the trails I ride. With the Levo I was able to buy a 700Wh battery to give me more range.

As an aside - the 2020 eGenius will come with the new generation Bosch CX which is about 1.5 kilo lighter and has a 625Wh battery. Not certain of pricing yet but thinking similar to the current one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles