When u refill tyre sealant do u add water ?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Hi,
someone recomended wen refill tyre sealant to join some 20% water. It suposed to dissolve/recover the dry stuff inside the tyre.
Coments? It´s a good/bad idea?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Never heard of that one. I can't imagine it would do anything to dry sealant.

I just remove all the thorns and add two more scoops when it starts to lose air. Did mine yesterday. Rear was dry, full of holes and wouldn't hold air. The front was fine.

Folks used to add all sorts to sealant (glitter?), but I just use it as it comes.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Hi,
someone recomended wen refill tyre sealant to join some 20% water. It suposed to dissolve/recover the dry stuff inside the tyre.
Coments? It´s a good/bad idea?

I wouldn't go using that sealant for riding through puddles or in the rain. It'll just dissolve the plugged leaks... :ROFLMAO:

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I've tried water, soap, isopropyl and loads of other stuff trying to clean up the inside of a tyre - nothing really made a big difference vs propper mechanical scraping and scrubbing... I don't think adding some water will do much if anything good Chap.

Your mate might be one of those guys always telling you it's fancy dress when meeting the boys in the pub.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've tried water, soap, isopropyl and loads of other stuff trying to clean up the inside of a tyre - nothing really made a big difference vs propper mechanical scraping and scrubbing... I don't think adding some water will do much if anything good Chap.

Why strip off the old gunk, it is sealing all the old holes. I just remove any big lumps, the occasional 3D starfish and leave the rest alone.

Latex starfish.JPG

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
It's all water soluble anyway, but not once it's curred .... People add glitter and stuff because it helps to plug the small holes. Slime comes with micro boards of plastic and little bits of fibres in it. If you make your own slimes these are effective ingredients. I do sometimes add a few drops of water to my slime bottles as they are sometimes thicker than normal. Helps to get it in the tyres and get the dregs out of the bottles. And by a few drops I mean just that, not a lot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles