Tire sealant? Does it DO anything?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The rear tire has been holding air fine, but the tread was getting rather shabby. I'm a cheapskate, so I've been trying to milk as many miles out of it as possible. The last ride was the last straw. The tire was just a little too slip-slidey, so today I slapped on a replacement. For some odd reason, I'm always compelled to examine every part, even those that are destined to the trash can. It's not rare to find something protruding from the back side of a tire -- nail, thorn, or piece of glass. For that reason, I never "feel" the inside of the tire. I've been poked too many times. But today's visual examination revealed more than a dozen cactus thorns poking through the carcass. I guess all that money I've been spending on Stan's is really worth it. I thought that maybe you guys would like the pictures.

IMG_0060.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0068.jpeg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
The rear tire has been holding air fine, but the tread was getting rather shabby. I'm a cheapskate, so I've been trying to milk as many miles out of it as possible. The last ride was the last straw. The tire was just a little too slip-slidey, so today I slapped on a replacement. For some odd reason, I'm always compelled to examine every part, even those that are destined to the trash can. It's not rare to find something protruding from the back side of a tire -- nail, thorn, or piece of glass. For that reason, I never "feel" the inside of the tire. I've been poked too many times. But today's visual examination revealed more than a dozen cactus thorns poking through the carcass. I guess all that money I've been spending on Stan's is really worth it. I thought that maybe you guys would like the pictures.

View attachment 107153

View attachment 107151

View attachment 107152

View attachment 107150
Dear Chespskate Rustyiron, great promo for Stans………please make it clear to me which tyre is knackered as they both look to have miles of life left in them. A bit of “slip nd slide” can only improve your reaction times,
Could be a new thread here to see who gets the the most out of a tyre.
@The Hodge gets more than most value wise out of Maxxis rubber,
But he’s as tight as a wet knot if you get my drift 😂😂

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
New tires are the ultimate upgrade I've ever put on any bike, motorcycle or car. I'll have to start selling you guys my take-offs. If it was cheap and easy I'd have new tires for every ride. Those first crisp miles are always the best.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
What size is that “worn” tyre and do you ship outside the Lower 48? Askin’ for a friend… 😂

Dude! I tend to accumulate a vast collection of all sizes of tires. I keep the old ones "just in case," until the pile gets so high that I risk being buried alive if it ever tips over during an earthquake. In the interest of safety, once a year I toss the pile of "like new" carcasses into the garbage. If you can scrape together the cash to cover shipping, I can throw them all in a box and send it your way. This could be a golden business opportunity for you. Import "like new" tires and sell them to riders starved by covid-induced supply chain delays. This time next year you could be strutting the boulevard, pockets filled with thick rolls of tens and twenties, and a smokin' hot bike bunny on each arm.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
I think Stans is just about the best sealant, my dad (75) got a 7mm slit in his tyre while we were riding along a forest track, Stans sealed it. My mucoff sealant couldn't manage a normal large puncture.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are other sealants than just Stans, although I do accept that they have become the "Biro" and "Hoover" of the sealant industry. Good marketing! :)

With non-latex Puncture Guard sealant (defunct now, sadly) I had over two dozen punctures in one tyre and over 20 in the other, but no flats! The sealant was fluorescent green (like Slime), so you could tell how many holes you had; never went off (unlike Stans) and it worked. Its only flaw was that it took several hours to seal the sidewalls on tyres that were not tubeless or tubeless-ready, but seal them it did and only had to do it once. I could always tell when I needed to top up because the amount of pressure loss from one ride to the next slowly started to increase. No latex starfish rumbling inside the tyre after 3-4 months.

I now use Continental Revo sealant, a latex based sealant and ammonia free. But it's not as good as Puncture Guard!

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
In the desert areas that I ride, I think we would never make it home on most rides without sealant. I've come home, walked in to change and clean up, and walk out to find a tire bleeding sealant but holding air. We recently had a friend get a flat on the trail, we had to air her up twice (one CO2 for each shot), but completed the ride at our own planned pace. Next day the inspection showed two massive thorn holes. No way would that have worked without sealant. Though it didn't full seal, it did help.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
That looks very much like the timeframe and location I grew up in. 1970s La Puente, CA. Across Azusa Blvd from where the huge Sheraton is now, which used to be my off-road biking and mini-biking area.

I find the jumping cactus much less dangerous and unpredictable than the cholos/cholas.

stumo

Feb 1, 2023
preston
Going back 16 years, 2nd or 3rd run in Whistler from the top (can't remember what we rode that day) , got a big slit in the tyre, was trying to make it down to the bottom to put a tube in. Had to stop around the mid point of A-line/Dirt Merchant to pump it up and then after that it stayed up...rode the next two weeks without fixing it. ). Great stuff.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
New tires are the ultimate upgrade I've ever put on any bike, motorcycle or car. I'll have to start selling you guys my take-offs. If it was cheap and easy I'd have new tires for every ride. Those first crisp miles are always the best.
Nothing like the “turn-in” in on new set of motorcycle tires! Definitely feels so different after changing from a somewhat flattened 7,000 mile tire. Agree, 100%

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles