What tire sealant do you recommend

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
My tube vs. tubless survey in this EMTB General forum is running 75% Pro tubeless, 25% Pro tubes.
I’ve decided to make the jump to tubeless and watched a dozen or so vids about making the switch. This will be my first go at this so I have absolutely no experience making the switch, I am however fairly mechanical and handy and the videos I’ve watch make it seem not so terribly difficult, until things go wrong of course.
Just curious what sealant you tubless pros suggest?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I've been using stans for years, but there are better choices now available. I may try finishline as I like their dry lube and it is not supposed to dry up like stans.

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
I'm using Finishline now, seems to be working great. I got fed up with other brands drying out after 3_4 months.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I'm using Finishline now, seems to be working great. I got fed up with other brands drying out after 3_4 months.
Getting an initial seal with Finishline is harder than with latex based sealants, but since then mine have stayed up well, though I do not ride in a particularly difficult area (flinty, stony etc) for tyres and I’m not a super aggressive rider. If you are I would say stick with latex, as it is clear from several tests online that the long life of Finishline means it is not amongst the very best at sealing punctures.

Which tubeless sealant works the best?

Finish line sealant, anybody used it - BikeRadar Forum

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dull answer. Stans. (I just buy the 1qrt containers of the stuff).
Have spoken to plenty folk who make their own sealant from craft latex, glycol based antifreeze, glitter and other ingredients with great success. Too much hastle for me though

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Finishline Sealant: DO NOT BOTHER WITH IT !!
I wrote this comment on the MTBR review of this product back in June 2018. I couldn't wait to try out this new sealant I'd been reading about 6 months prior. Eventually it hit the shelves here in the UK......

June 17, 2018 at 2:57 am
I bought a 240mm (8oz) bottle yesterday as I’ve been itching to try this new sealant. It is utterley useless!!! The tyre is a Schwalbe Furious Fred, which is a few years old and on my full rigid MTB. I removed the tyre and removed all the Stans latex that had been sealing well. I cleaned the tyre to point where there was no dried latex remaining on the inside of the tyre what so ever. Refitted and added half the bottle (120mm) of Finishline Sealant. Rolled it around and pumped up to 30psi to start with. I got it to seal eventually, put the wheel back on the bike and pumped up to 40psi, straight away it started to leak fast again. I managed to get it to seal again. repressurised to 40psi it leaked again. I repeated this several times, it kept leaking from small thorn holes (not around the rim). I tried ridding the bike and everything I would normally do when using latex. I have now inflated the tyre at least 15 times and every time the tyre leaks through a small thorn hole. I wouldn’t dare to try and ride the bike anywhere, I have absolutely NO confidence in this product what so ever! I will be demanding my £14.99 back when I go to the bike shop next. Stick to latex! I never had an issue with this same tyre with the same small holes whilst using latex.

Finish Line Sealant review - Mtbr.com

I have gone back to STANS and now a days I just add 80ml through the removeable valve core to super light inner tubes (Schwalbe SV19A). Works brilliantly!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles