What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I know there is no such thing as a good tyre for wet roots / rocks, but is there anything that's recommended?

Back in July, I broke 2 ribs by falling off a banana boat in Barbados (my brother in-law landed on me elbow first!). After a couple of weeks, I felt fine and was back golfing and cycling.
In October I went on an easy bike ride round some local paths and trails, and my front wheel slipped on a wooden path - causing me to come off and break 2 more ribs! Same side, but higher up. I was due to go on holiday 4 days later, and it meant I couldn't chuck the kids about in the pool, carry the cases and put a bit of a spoiler on the whole thing. It also hurt for a lot more than a few weeks!!

Since then, I've been mainly on roads, cycle paths and forest roads etc and taking it easy. The weather hasn't been great, and I haven't had as much time as I'd like - so some rides straight from the house and not getting filthy have actually been fine.

I went to Tarland Trails on Thursday, which was all nice smooth hardpacked tracks - on a lovely sunny dry day. Yesterday, I went into some local woods and was riding the damp trails as the rain fell on me.

Something I noticed quickly was how much my front tyre was slipping on roots / rocks, and how apprehensive I was about it. I ended up riding really slowly, and was continually getting ready to put my foot down whenever the front went. I've had Michelin Wild (not e-Wild) on my bike for about 3 years now, and have always found them great.
Now, I have the fear... I'm wondering if there is something better for wet that I can build up my confidence again with?
Hope you get well soon and kick the fear away.
Couple of tyres that are quite good on wet roots and rocks
- Magic Mary soft or super soft
- Continental Argotal Enduro or DH
- Maxxis Assegai MaxGrip

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
3 roky sú príliš veľa, pneumatika je tvrdá.- toto je typický michelin (na autách je to isté) najazdené km na dlhé vzdialenosti, ale boby sú ako nové. stačí si kúpiť novú pneumatiku, ak sa vám páči michelin, kúpte si michelin znova
If you need something more.grippy,try magic marry
Sorry - I think you may have misled you on this...
I've been using Michelins for about 3 years... however I've been through multiple sets. They were replaced a couple of months ago.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
Sorry, my mistake. Weak basics of English :D

1683198734369.png

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Hello guys. Being relatively new to the sport (2 years) I would like to ask what do I gain or loose by going from a 2.5 rear to 2.4 , and for the front : from 2.6 to 2.4 ?

Usage: natural single track enduro trails, guite gnarly, rocky and loose.

I want to try the continental kryptotals, but the only dimension I can find them is the 2.4 front and rear, for the enduro casing, soft compound.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Hello guys. Being relatively new to the sport (2 years) I would like to ask what do I gain or loose by going from a 2.5 rear to 2.4 , and for the front : from 2.6 to 2.4 ?

I want to try the continental kryptotals, but the only dimension I can find them is the 2.4 front and rear, for the enduro casing, soft compound.
You might lose a little ground/pedal clearance but it won't be much and depending on what your bike is it probably won't matter. Fwiw I went from a 2.5 WT Maxxis rear to a 2.4 Kryptotal and the difference between them is negligible. That being said, if I buy Kryptotals again I'm going to seek out the 2.6 version because on my bike (Giant Reign) ground clearance can be marginal.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
You might lose a little ground/pedal clearance but it won't be much and depending on what your bike is it probably won't matter. Fwiw I went from a 2.5 WT Maxxis rear to a 2.4 Kryptotal and the difference between them is negligible. That being said, if I buy Kryptotals again I'm going to seek out the 2.6 version because on my bike (Giant Reign) ground clearance can be marginal.
Same bike ! I do get pedal strikes some times. I try to improve my technique but on some climbs it seems inevitable. Hmm... I would not have thought that by going to a narrower tyre I would loose some ground clearance.
Thanks !

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Same bike ! I do get pedal strikes some times. I try to improve my technique but on some climbs it seems inevitable. Hmm... I would not have thought that by going to a narrower tyre I would loose some ground clearance.
Thanks !
My 2.4 Xynotal compared to a 2.6 Kryptotal is noticeably not as tall but that not a direct comparison and I also have different cases DH (2.4) vs Enduro (2.6) . I did find the Krypt 2.6 to be very tall as it gets close to rubbing on parts of my Mondi rear triangle which the oem supplied maxxis 2.6 DHR didn’t

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
My 2.4 Xynotal compared to a 2.6 Kryptotal is noticeably not as tall but that not a direct comparison and I also have different cases DH (2.4) vs Enduro (2.6) . I did find the Krypt 2.6 to be very tall as it gets close to rubbing on parts of my Mondi rear triangle which the oem supplied maxxis 2.6 DHR didn’t
I’ve a turbo levo and I first tried a krypt 2.6 and had no clearance on my rear triangle, I’ve a sicomtb mudguard which I had to remove and even then the clearance was paper thin , so I went down to a krypt 2.4 . Rear mudguard back on , really pleased with the tyre though , performance wet and dry are excellent

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent

I run those tyres on my Rise in Trail format & have a few pbs & top 3 on my local trails

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
Has anyone ran the Kryptotal Re as a front tire? They don't offer the front in a 2.6.. I've tried the Argotal but it's currently out of stock and I also had a problem with the ultra aggressive side knobs catching rocks. I know a lot of people, including myself, have ran the DHR as a front. Anyone input would be greatly apricated.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Has anyone ran the Kryptotal Re as a front tire? They don't offer the front in a 2.6.. I've tried the Argotal but it's currently out of stock and I also had a problem with the ultra aggressive side knobs catching rocks. I know a lot of people, including myself, have ran the DHR as a front. Anyone input would be greatly apricated.
This is a bit off but i use 2 DHF and some others also do. It seems to work fine in Quebec and they come in many sizes.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
This is a bit off but i use 2 DHF and some others also do. It seems to work fine in Quebec and they come in many sizes.
Yeah I think the fronts can be used more often in the back than the reverse. I just want to make sure the cornering won't be vague or lose grip because of the spacing. I heard on one of Bernard Kerrs video he was gonna run the Kryptotal rear on the front... So I know It's possible, I don't know if he kept it that way though as he never followed up on his experience.

Last edited:

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Ran the Krypt Re enduro soft as a front for a short while. It was good but slightly drifty in softer going, when forest trails were transitioning from autumn to winter. I had tried to get a Krypt FR enduro soft front but didnt find any stock, so tried the Argotal Enduro Soft as a front and swapped the Krypt Re to the rear for the winter /spring . When the trails dried the Argotal got a little sketchy so swapped to the Xynotal DH SS, as I still couldnt locate a Krypt FR Enduro S , the xynotal has been lovely but dont think the Super soft will last long, unlike the Krypt Re Enduro Soft which looks hardly worn despite it being regularly locked up under braking on dry loose trails. Note when I say the Kyrpt was slightly drifty is was a country mile better than the maxis DHF supplied as OEM on my Mondi Crafty, that nearly had me face planting a number of times as the front tyre grip folded in the local faster trails corners.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
Ran the Krypt Re enduro soft as a front for a short while. It was good but slightly drifty in softer going, when forest trails were transitioning from autumn to winter. I had tried to get a Krypt FR enduro soft front but didnt find any stock, so tried the Argotal Enduro Soft as a front and swapped the Krypt Re to the rear for the winter /spring . When the trails dried the Argotal got a little sketchy so swapped to the Xynotal DH SS, as I still couldnt locate a Krypt FR Enduro S , the xynotal has been lovely but dont think the Super soft will last long, unlike the Krypt Re Enduro Soft which looks hardly worn despite it being regularly locked up under braking on dry loose trails. Note when I say the Kyrpt was slightly drifty is was a country mile better than the maxis DHF supplied as OEM on my Mondi Crafty, that nearly had me face planting a number of times as the front tyre grip folded in the local faster trails corners.
Awesome. I'm in socal so everything is loose over hardpack. I don't think I'll have any issues with it. I ordered it on sale for 65 bucks! 29"x2.6 Enduro Soft! (Kryp Re)
The Argotal was catching every single damn rock edge it could find. It looks like it would be great in loam though.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Just got Assegai DH MaxxGrip. And second wheelset. Maybe testing Assegai at the weekend. Interesting to see how it compares to 2.6 Butcher T9 Gravity.
Ive got the same tyre waiting to go on my Rail, used to run it on my non ebb Intense Carbine at our bike park with loose over hard pack. Its a brilliant front tyre and grip for days

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Can anyone recommend a good all weather enduro tyre with good longevity?

I've got a big Betty soft compound on the rear and only got around 300 miles out of it. I like how it performs but can't seem to find it in a harder compound and tubeless 🤷‍♂️

I need to work on my breaking technique and my local trails are a mix of sharp stones, chalk and roots, which is pretty tough on the tyres.

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
Can anyone recommend a good all weather enduro tyre with good longevity?

I've got a big Betty soft compound on the rear and only got around 300 miles out of it. I like how it performs but can't seem to find it in a harder compound and tubeless 🤷‍♂️

I need to work on my breaking technique and my local trails are a mix of sharp stones, chalk and roots, which is pretty tough on the tyres.
I'd give the continentals a go...

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I'd give the continentals a go...

I've been running Kryptotals and am just about to swap back to Maxxis I think. The Contis are okay but I prefer the feel and easy fitting of Maxxis tyres. Think I'm going to go Assagai Maxxgrip front and DHR 2 Maxxterra rear both in DD. Tyre choices are so dependant on local conditions that it's almost not worth taking advice from anyone other than locals and combining that with personal experience and preferences imho.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
Just bought some Michelin e-wiilds 27.5 x 2.8, they've been out of stock for a while and I finally got some - Yet to install

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Just got Assegai DH MaxxGrip. And second wheelset. Maybe testing Assegai at the weekend. Interesting to see how it compares to 2.6 Butcher T9 Gravity.
And just ordered DHR2 DH Dual for rear, so soon i have Spesh and Maxxis set to compare.
View attachment 119598
Just came out from the woods with Assegai. Mostly dry, roots and stones.

Nice tire. But seems to be at its best on sand in berms, etc.
On moderately hardpacked sand Assegai is better than Butcher. Very stable.
Very short experiment though, one steep and twisted downhill ski trail track base.

Even on the dry stone it came clear that it does not have the same grip and logical behavior as the Butcher T9.
Two times it slipped from dry rock.
Never happened with Butcher.
And in my opinion i might think that T9 is a little softer compound than Maxxgrip.
Grip is better even on dry rock and root.

But anyway, i like Assegai. It's stable, sturdy, goes exacty there where you want it to go. And seems someway more agile than Butcher.

On wet i can imagine that Butcher might be a little better perfomer.
On the otherhand i assume that Assegai has better wear resistance than Butcher.

I will continue with Assegai, this was just one and first ride. New tire, new behavior. Getting used to it takes it's own time.

All in all: no dissapointment here.👍

Jan 5, 2023
Greer Ranch
I've been running Kryptotals and am just about to swap back to Maxxis I think. The Contis are okay but I prefer the feel and easy fitting of Maxxis tyres. Think I'm going to go Assagai Maxxgrip front and DHR 2 Maxxterra rear both in DD. Tyre choices are so dependant on local conditions that it's almost not worth taking advice from anyone other than locals and combining that with personal experience and preferences imho.
Sure but brand to brand is still comparable in performance and feel compared to similar competing models. It is very much a personal preference but tire compounds and treads are make for specific conditions.. so you can at least take advice on what they are designed for...

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Sure but brand to brand is still comparable in performance and feel compared to similar competing models. It is very much a personal preference but tire compounds and treads are make for specific conditions.. so you can at least take advice on what they are designed for...
Yeah, you're right but sometimes folks make comments that a certain tyre is the best thing ever without qualifying it by describing their local riding conditions (or even their riding style or the type of riding they like to do) so I tend to take recommendations with a pinch of salt.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Yeah, you're right but sometimes folks make comments that a certain tyre is the best thing ever without qualifying it by describing their local riding conditions (or even their riding style or the type of riding they like to do) so I tend to take recommendations with a pinch of salt.
Exactly this. nothing beats trying it for yourself. Heard countless 'best tyre ever - end of' type comments when in reality they could be riding in sand and rock with no moisture and you are in wet forests. Not saying NOT to listen to others, but as you say...

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
E13 Grappler MoPo Enduro is my current favorite front tire. Will be trying a Tioga Edge 22 next, then a Vee Attack HPL. Also want to try the Vit Mazza. Wanted to give something other than an Assegai or DHR2 a go up front.

Riding terrain is loose over hard, rocky/rooty.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
E13 Grappler MoPo Enduro is my current favorite front tire. Will be trying a Tioga Edge 22 next, then a Vee Attack HPL. Also want to try the Vit Mazza. Wanted to give something other than an Assegai or DHR2 a go up front.

Riding terrain is loose over hard, rocky/rooty.
Be wary of the vee attack, had 2. First one was fine but the second one had a wobble baked into the carcass that you could feel when riding - also incredibly hard to get the rimpact to fit, where with the Assegai it was a breeze. I think the Assegai is a lot more grippy as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles