What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
68km DHR 2 DH Dual Compound vs 700km Eliminator T7/T9.
Those are Strava kilometres in the woods.
There's about plus 300km commute with Eliminator.

IMG_4787.jpeg

Notice, after 68 kilometres!

IMG_4785.jpeg

Edit: Maxxis is not going to be my choice. Spesh are better in every way here in Finland.
And if tire looks like that after 68kilometres i would say it is a garbage.
Assegai DH Maxxgrip is okay in summer at front, but in autumn when it’s below 10celsius that Maxxgrip is useless.
And Butcher T9 Gravity is at least good as Assegai, little better maybe. And works in cold better.

Last edited:

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
This is my favourite combo

Maxxis Assegai 2.5 DD Maxgrip Front
Maxxis DHR II 2.4 DD Maxterra Rear

Good balance of super grip and a little more hard wearing through Maxterra and better rolling resistance on the rear.

C50D74A5-41D4-4F80-BE46-62F29342A603.jpeg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Maxxis Assegai Maxxgrip DD front and rear. Rolling resistance is essentially meaningless on a FF eBike, just increase assistance when required. Spending £big$ on an eBike then pinching pennies on tyres is stupid.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Maxxis Assegai Maxxgrip DD front and rear. Rolling resistance is essentially meaningless on a FF eBike, just increase assistance when required. Spending £big$ on an eBike then pinching pennies on tyres is stupid.
I tried Assegai on the rear but wasn’t that impressed - felt like riding through mud. You might want to try the DHR II in hard compound Maxterra plenty of grip and rolls well.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I tried Assegai on the rear but wasn’t that impressed - felt like riding through mud. You might want to try the DHR II in hard compound Maxterra plenty of grip and rolls well.
I have used two rear Maxxis DHR2 EXO+ tyres. I was impressed by neither the grip nor the puncture resistance. They both punctured badly within 3 months use. Assegai Maxxgrip DD works fine on the rear, it's a matter of finding the right pressure for your bike, weight, and riding conditions. Too little pressure, particularly in dry summer conditions, and I agree that they do feel squidgy, like riding through mud.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
17km today again in the woods with Assegai DH Maxxgrip and DHR2 DH dual compound.

Dry mostly but now a few wet spot with roots etc.
Butcher and Eliminator are now swapped back.
In Finnish(wet) woods Maxxis is pretty useless for me. It's almost scary ride on Maxxis. Too much surprises.
DHR2 has no grip sideways on wet stone. Or roots. At all.
Assegai slipped suddenly from root. Again. Wasn't a first time.
Last time it slipped from dry stone.

So, Spesh tyres are my choice.
Lots of tyres tested and in my use they performs best.

Edit: So i swapped Butcher and Eliminator back and rode 33kilometres in the woods this morning.
Maxxis is not even nearly good as Spesh in Finnish woods. Badly worn Butcher behaves much better than 200km rode Assegai. Grip is better, it’s more stable etc. Very predictable and logical behaviour.
Assegai may shoot you suddenly of the trail from root or stone.
DRH2 is really bad rear tyre vs Eliminator. It’s a night and day difference.

I think Maxxis may be good at the bike park, but on Finnish rooty and stony trails they suck.
My Butcher is badly worn but still much better perfomer than nearly new Assegai.

When you look at the tread pattern Assegai seems much better. Reality tells otherwise.

IMG_4997.jpeg

Last edited:

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Cannibal arrived.🥰
It's been raining a lot today, and tomorrow apparently even more.
So, maybe sunday i can test it in really wet conditions!😜

Cannibal feels very sturdy.👊

IMG_5096.jpeg

IMG_5097.jpeg

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Has anyone used Cannibal at the both ends? I will use it as a front tire but tempting is big to order one for rear too.
Though T9 wears pretty quickly at rear i think?🤔

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've been running Cannibals for about a year. Front and rear. Right now it’s my favourite tyre on the market.

Tested in Triscombe / Quantock Hills / Minehead / Surrey Hills. Mix of steep rocky and rooty chutes, rooty ruts, and flowy singletrack and fast loose rocky descents.

A very competent, dry to mixed condition all rounder for fast emtb riding.

PSI used: 25 rear (1.72 bar) / 23 front (1.6 bar). Rider weight approx 82KG

Pros:
  • Soft, damped feel. Very high levels predictable grip when cornering. Soft T9 compound which is comparable to MaxxGrip.
  • Deep Tread pattern with a nice transition from centre to outside blocks - feels slightly different to Assegai, more like a DHF.
  • Carcass is quite strong (but not perfect, see cons). There's very little cornering folding when run approx 23f 25r, but can also run as low as 20f 23rr.
  • Slow rebounding rubber provides plush damped feel. Great over constant rock and chunk.
  • When ridden hard the tyre is supportive (to a point) whilst the soft rubber compound provides high levels of grip
  • Run on the rear for massive braking and climbing traction. Much more than a 2.4 DHR
  • even at 2.3" its bigger than Maxxis 2.4" and more like a 2.5" (id say its ever so slightly wider than assegai 2.5")
  • Excels at cornering ,with supporting carcass, soft rubber compound and round profile on 30mm rims
  • Weight of approx 1360g, in line with most decent DH tyres.
  • Pricing is amazing. £50 in UK and Specialized website regularly offers 10% off.
  • Rolls surprisingly well for this type of tyre

Cons:
  • Not a long lasting tyre, especially on the rear. Rubber wears quick. Have slashed 2 sidewalls on rocks. But, they’re a soft race tyre tyre wear so longevity isn’t it’s goal.
  • High speed square edge hits can deform the tyre and lead to rim dings, unless run at higher pressures (I had some around 25psi on the rear). This obviously happens to many tyres, but I havent had many at all on other 1.4KG DH tyres (like the Michelins for example)
  • Some may not like the 1360g weight.

Overall:
  • Cornering Grip: 10/10
  • Braking Grip: 9/10
  • Climbing Grip 9/10
  • Dampening: 10/10
  • Wet weather: 8/10
  • Carcass Strength 8/10
  • Longevity: 5/10
  • Price: 9/10
  • Overall 9/10

5939A4F7-B62C-4A0B-AD49-FE1730435C46.jpg IMG_3954.jpeg

Last edited:

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
have been running Cannibals for about a year. Front and rear. Right now it’s my favourite tyre on the market.

Pros:
Soft, damped feel. Very high levels predictable grip when cornering. Soft T9 compound which is comparable to MaxxGrip.

Tread pattern with a nice transition from centre to outside blocks - feels slightly different to Assegai, more like a DHF.

Carcass is pretty strong, no folding or burping when run approx 23f 25r, but can also run as low as 20f 23rr.
Tyre damping qualities and ride feel are 10/10.

Weight of approx 1360, in line with most decent DH tyres.

Pricing is amazing. £50 in UK and Specialized website regularly offers 10% off.

Nice round profile when inflated to 23 psi (not too square)

Run on the rear for massive braking and climbing traction.

Cons:
Don’t last long, especially on the rear. Rubber wears quick. Have slashed 2 sidewalls on rocks. But, they’re a soft race tyre tyre wear so longevity isn’t it’s goal.

Overall:
Grip: 10/10
Dampening: 10/10
Cornering: 10/10
Wet weather: 8/10
Longevity: 6/10
Price: 9/10
Thanks for the report! 👍

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I wonder how about flys and other bugs? 😜

IMG_5142.jpeg

Here’s been raining a lot, about +100mm at two days. I’m gonna try Cannibal tomorrow morning at the woods.
Remains to be seen what’s gonna happen.😁

Last edited:

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I just came home from the woods and yes, for me, Cannibal is the best front tire I've ridden so far. By a large margin.

I rode at flat trails mainly, not downhills much. Stony Uphills pretty much too.

Grip is magical and very logical. On wet and dry. On roots and stones.
And it improves front end handling pretty much, compared to Butcher.
Almost like steering is quicker and much more precise.

Uphills with large dry stones; sudden line decisions are very easy to make, bike goes very quick just there where you want it to go.

I didn't got a single slip at todays ride, and there was pretty wet places too.
Cannibal does very well on mud and sand also.
On hardpack you can lean. And lean. And lean.😁

And Cannibal has very good damping. Very good.
Eliminator at the rear began to feel a little slippy sometimes.😁

I'm pretty amazed, must say.

F40EB79A-C451-4198-A4ED-D104953BF707.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I just came home from the woods and yes, for me, Cannibal is the best front tire I've ridden so far. By a large margin.

I rode at flat trails mainly, not downhills much. Stony Uphills pretty much too.

Grip is magical and very logical. On wet and dry. On roots and stones.
And it improves front end handling pretty much, compared to Butcher.
Almost like steering is quicker and much more precise.

Uphills with large dry stones; sudden line decisions are very easy to make, bike goes very quick just there where you want it to go.

I didn't got a single slip at todays ride, and there was pretty wet places too.
Cannibal does very well on mud and sand also.
On hardpack you can lean. And lean. And lean.😁

And Cannibal has very good damping. Very good.
Eliminator at the rear began to feel a little slippy sometimes.😁

I'm pretty amazed, must say.

View attachment 121539
This looks like a lot of the trails I see in Scotland - rocky, rooty, and usually damp / wet!! WIll maybe have to give the Cannibal a try in the next few months when the trails get damper. 👍

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
If my rides would be only in the woods/bike park etc. i would put Cannibal to the rear also. Could only imagine that grip and handling. 😁
But i do commute also with my Levo so i don’t want to buy new Cannibal every month.😁
At front T9 has pretty good wear resistance for so soft compound.

I will use Eliminator at rear until they make T7/T9 Cannibal.

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
If my rides would be only in the woods/bike park etc. i would put Cannibal to the rear also. Could only imagine that grip and handling. 😁
But i do commute also with my Levo so i don’t want to buy new Cannibal every month.😁
At front T9 has pretty good wear resistance for so soft compound.

I will use Eliminator at rear until they make T7/T9 Cannibal.
I've recently bought a Cannibal Grid Gravity T9 27.5/650B x 2.4 for my Status 160 acoustic bike and really appreciated it at Dyfi bike park this weekend so might think of sticking one on my Gen 1 Kenevo next time I need a tyre (y)

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I have rode some more with Cannibal now. There is no full 10 tyre( it’s not possible), but i give Cannibal 9,99 points. 😁 As a front tyre.
There must be some weak point, but i haven’t found it yet.
Amazing tyre for my style of riding. Finnish woods, dry and wet. Hot and cold. Mud, roots, stones, hardpack.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
New e-biker here (Relay) and am not surprised but they are hard on tires.

About 40 miles on a rear Aggressor 2.5 and the side knobs are looking pretty injured. It probably has another 15-20 miles on it at most.

I keep swapping front tires but can see them getting some good wear as well.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
New e-biker here (Relay) and am not surprised but they are hard on tires.

About 40 miles on a rear Aggressor 2.5 and the side knobs are looking pretty injured. It probably has another 15-20 miles on it at most.

I keep swapping front tires but can see them getting some good wear as well.
Maxxis. My DHR 2 side knobs are injured after 100km. In my opinion Maxxis are totally over rated tyres. I just tested Assegai/DHR2 kombo. DHR2 is pretty poor in all. Assegai is okay, but it slips suddenly with no warning at all. Not good as hype says.
Back to Spesh. They are much better tyres. All the way.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
In my opinion Maxxis are totally over rated tyres.
Totally disagree..
Assegai front / DHF rear ..
I've done well over 3,000 miles ( on the original Assegai) in all sorts of off -road terrain and have only replaced the rear DHR when it was worn with a DHF ..all of my "offs" have been due to rider error and not down to tyre choice .
Both tyres are run tubeless and the pressures checked prior to every ride ..twice weekly and on average 3-4 psi topped up between rides ..
(If you aren't regularly checking tyre pressure especially running tubeless ..then maybe you should 😉)
Lots of tread left on the Assegai ..and when it is time to say goodbye it will be replaced with another..
Top tyres imo 😁

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Totally disagree..
Assegai front / DHF rear ..
I've done well over 3,000 miles ( on the original Assegai) in all sorts of off -road terrain and have only replaced the rear DHR when it was worn with a DHF ..all of my "offs" have been due to rider error and not down to tyre choice .
Both tyres are run tubeless and the pressures checked prior to every ride ..twice weekly and on average 3-4 psi topped up between rides ..
(If you aren't regularly checking tyre pressure especially running tubeless ..then maybe you should 😉)
Lots of tread left on the Assegai ..and when it is time to say goodbye it will be replaced with another..
Top tyres imo 😁
I check pressures before every ride.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Well my bog standard assegai let me down big style last week in the French Alps. Even at 16psi it slid all over the place. I should have left my hillbilly T9 on. Not too bad in the dry but no good on wet roots.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
40 miles? Are you riding on a belt sander?
Terrain is essentially loose rocks over hardpack in bone dry conditions. Pressure is checked of course before every ride.

I run inserts front and rear. Use to run close to 27psi but about 22psi with the inserts.

I've always been hard on tires on both bikes and motorcycles.

It's not totally done for & it's definitely not an anti-Maxxis rant. It's a 27.5 x 2.5 DD btw.

However, the side knobs are undercut, with a little tear all of the way around at the base of every side knob. (*sorry it's an awful picture). The center knobs look fine, but this is typical of my tires.

The rear end is breaking away notably easier as well. I definitely don't wait until the knobs are just gone but instead go by traction to judge when to replace a tire.

Not knocking anyone that gets hundreds or even thousands of miles from their tires, but we are probably riding a bit differently.
20230820_145738.jpg

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

It's not about pinching pennies, heck I don't think there is even a price difference between DD and Exo+.

It's about finding the best components for the rider to optimize their bike's performance. Well for some it is.

Obviously others prioritize sale prices or sturdiness.

Even though I tear knobs, I rarely slice a tire and as such I might go to an Exo+ just to save nearly a pound of rotating weight myself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles