What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Hey taxi !

Aug 27, 2022
Geneva
I read so much about so many types of tyres, getting tired.
Can someone tell me what would be the best choice for a EMTB that will ride mostly on main roads and occasionnaly in the wild ?

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Just fitted a Kryptotal Rear Enduro soft 29x2.6 as a front in place of the as shipped DHF Exo Max terra (or my spare front wheel fitted with MagicMary supertrail Soft) . Used a rear as there are no 2.6 29 Kryptotal fronts available . Had a run in the local woods on natural and red trails and it seems on par with the MM supertrail soft (same size) though its about 200g burlier and a visibly taller tyre . Massively better (for me) than the DHF front which just skids into understeer on most berms turns on the dry fast red trail sections when I was pushing on. The Conti's enduro casing seems on par with Schwalbe DH cases (MMs) for side wall stiffness construction.
DHF maxgrip DD for the front is my go to tyre and would probably be a fairer comparison than the maxterra version you have.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
DHF maxgrip DD for the front is my go to tyre and would probably be a fairer comparison than the maxterra version you have.
I'd agree , unfortunately the Max Terra was the oem shipped DHF front & my 1st Maxxis (on the front) for probably more than 7 years... Given its less than grippy compound I'll use it as a rear when I've worn out the now fitted MM soft (wow so much grip on the rear now just need to up my pedaling effort to exploit it.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I said further back in the thread that my Marin should have been fitted with Maxxis Asagai and DHR but due to shortages came with a Vee tyre combo. Initially unhappy, these tyres have been brilliant, so good I ordered another set for the ridiculously bargain price of £72 for the pair.
So what's the catch I thought? Ride great but at that price there has to be a catch?

So here I am at 700 or so miles in, front looks great, rear seems to be nearly done. It's my first ebike so is this normal wear? (See pics)
On my normal mtb I'd say no, but with the extra weight and torque of an eeb?
For context I ride trail centre single track, some loamy off piste and every ride have to do about 3 miles of tarmac to get to the forest.
Any opinions welcome on the wear. Pics of replacement new tyres for comparison.
IMG20220903081209.jpg

IMG20220903081014.jpg

IMG20220903081001.jpg

IMG20220831140608.jpg

IMG20220826144236.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
the tires look like they're wrong way round - front is on back, and I'm assuming the other one that looks like a rear is on the front? That's just going by the tread pattern and tread depth.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeah might try the Eddy Current. Also found a Vittoria Martello that could work although the knobs seem a bit small.
Update: found a pair of DHR2 EXO+ tires I still had laying around. Almost perfect condition. Saves me 70 euro's or so.

Saw DHR2 EXO+ Maxxterra 29x2.4 WT tyres for a good price so bought them to try out instead of the Bontrager SE6 front and SE5 rear on my '22 Rail.

After many years of riding (and racing) motorcycles I'm used to feeling how much front grip I have when braking so put them on both front and rear (use my front brake quite a lot). Assegai is supposed to give ultimate front grip but I do like the controllable grip of the DHR2 when the front moves around.

Rail is 25kg and I'm 79kg, been running front 24psi and rear 26psi this summer.

Will keep the Bontragers as spares.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ha ha sorry, it's 2 pics of the rear from different angles. The front isn't shown apart fro the new replacement.
yes, I understood that. The tire you have on the rear looks like a front tire to me. You seem to make it work though, judging by your videos :)

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Assegai fan here, running Maxgrip all round and DH casings, ARD in the rear. Sure they are heavy but it's an bike so who cares? Can't fault them at all for reliability or grip, front so much more confidence inspiring than DHF with its 'dead zone'. A few pals are running them now too and are total converts.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Saw DHR2 EXO+ Maxxterra 29x2.4 WT tyres for a good price so bought them to try out instead of the Bontrager SE6 front and SE5 rear on my '22 Rail.

After many years of riding (and racing) motorcycles I'm used to feeling how much front grip I have when braking so put them on both front and rear (use my front brake quite a lot). Assegai is supposed to give ultimate front grip but I do like the controllable grip of the DHR2 when the front moves around.

Rail is 25kg and I'm 79kg, been running front 24psi and rear 26psi this summer.

Will keep the Bontragers as spares.

Seems high to me? I'm 90kg, bike is 25kg and I'm running 22 fr, 24 rr with no issues with squirming etc. I am running different tyres though so maybe that explains it - the Vees' are very sturdy.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
yes, I understood that. The tire you have on the rear looks like a front tire to me. You seem to make it work though, judging by your videos :)

Got you - just for clarity then these replacements are the same as what is on the bike now - the front is on the left (HOL Attack). Crown Gem is the rear.
As for my vids - you must be watching someone else, any vids I make look like slow motion :D
IMG20220903081001.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Winter prep coming around again. The Assegai was great last year, it's going back on the front, worn DHR can stay on the rear for the drift life, mudguard on the back & job jobbed.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Seems high to me? I'm 90kg, bike is 25kg and I'm running 22 fr, 24 rr with no issues with squirming etc. I am running different tyres though so maybe that explains it - the Vees' are very sturdy.

This is when it's dry which it has been for many months this summer in the South UK. We run them a couple of psi lower when its wet and slippery, but I need to experiment with pressures.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I’m running the Kryptotal RE and FR. So far, with limited rides, I really like them a lot. So far, they are an improvement over the DHR2 and DHF I normally run.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m running the Kryptotal RE and FR. So far, with limited rides, I really like them a lot. So far, they are an improvement over the DHR2 and DHF I normally run.
I wanted to give these a go but couldn’t find any in stock, I ended up going with my normal Maxxis assegi/dhr2 instead. Replaced the ballon 2.6s that came on my Levo….so much better.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I wanted to give these a go but couldn’t find any in stock, I ended up going with my normal Maxxis assegi/dhr2 instead. Replaced the ballon 2.6s that came on my Levo….so much better.
Are you outside the US? Mine weren’t difficult to source.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
If swapping out a 2.5 Assegai for a Magic Mary, would you go 2.4 or 2.6?
Really depends on personal preferences. Mine is for the larger size as I find the 2.6 a nice sweet spot especially on an e-bike when I dont have to worry about heavy tyres and slow rolling carcases, and can use low pressures for better trail grip . YMMV. PS compared to other brands I find the MM (29er) in 2.6 is one of the smaller 2.6 tyres I've used both in height and width.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Probably my favourite combo ever was:

WTB Verdict Light/High Grip
WTB Judge Tough/Fast

Heaps of grip and lasted ages. Also, I really wish other manufacturers would adopt such a sensible naming convention.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
That would be a downgrade IMO, Assegai trumps MM everywhere.
Just to add i really like the assegai, unreal grip but the front keep sliding on fast, steep off camber turns.
It is probably my lack of skill causing it but I have never had the problem with a Mary.
It’s a testament to the assegai that I’ve somehow managed not to crash when it’s slid though👍😀

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It’s a testament to the assegai that I’ve somehow managed not to crash when it’s slid though👍😀
Me too! When the Assegai lets go, I nearly always feel it coming and mostly can avoid the consequences. It feels very sure footed and predictable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles