What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Hi, just swapped the rear tire and sharing some feedback for the Specialized Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9 29/2.6. My Giant Trance came with the Maxxis Dissector 29x2.6 EXO+ and it worked well but I wore it out pretty quickly. The Eliminator is MUCH more heavy-duty, thicker all around and weighs quite a bit more. I don't ride much on the pavement but there's noticeably more rolling resistance on the street. On my trails however it's great. Quite a bit more traction climbing and braking especially in dry, rocky loose climbs (typical in Northern California this time of year). Cornering performance is similar to the Dissector, maybe slightly better.

Overall I'm happy with the Eliminator, found it at a LBS on sale for $59. A bit more confidence knowing that it would take a really nasty impact to puncture this thing!

IMG_5349D.JPG

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Aggressive looking tyres going by your photos. Would be good to get your opinions on them. Is that the rear specific version?
Yip rear specific, although I have noticed you cant get a front in 2.6 only 2.4.

Hopefully test them out tomorrow or Fri, if I get a chance

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I have been running a MM soft front allied to the Pirelli Scorpion Rear. Never liked the rear, preferred my e-wilds, but I have had an itch to drop from 2.6 to 2.4 for ages so have just moved to the Conti Kryptotal DH Soft rear and super soft front.

I would have preferred soft and enduro casings all round but can’t find any in stock anywhere for weeks so just took the plunge as I want to get on with testing the 2.4s.

Took them straight to Whinlatter where it’s been dry and dusty and find them very confidence inspiring, and FAR more rear end grip than the Pirelli, but then, so did the wild and the eddy current before it.

rolling resistance, oddly, seems fine as I finished my usual 2x full, back to back laps within 5% of my normal power consumption. That surprised me a lot to be honest.

I use the Garmin Gear feature to track mileage of all my parts, chains, casettes, servicing and of course, tyres, so can gauge lifespan of these tyres compared to all my others no problem. Be interesting to see the trade off.

Interestingly, the Conti DH soft rear, is actually lighter brand new, than the Scorpion was worn out!

535222EE-09EB-454C-B5C2-6AB29501007A.jpeg
06EF3F67-4202-4E60-8050-5C5F13EC06CC.jpeg
9A5B287C-3A55-48F8-9656-43711EFA1EA4.jpeg
E31F698D-D0A2-425C-B4E2-FA3FFB0BE50E.jpeg

Importantly, I think they look fast too… 😆

More testing to follow…

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Hi, just swapped the rear tire and sharing some feedback for the Specialized Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9 29/2.6. My Giant Trance came with the Maxxis Dissector 29x2.6 EXO+ and it worked well but I wore it out pretty quickly. The Eliminator is MUCH more heavy-duty, thicker all around and weighs quite a bit more. I don't ride much on the pavement but there's noticeably more rolling resistance on the street. On my trails however it's great. Quite a bit more traction climbing and braking especially in dry, rocky loose climbs (typical in Northern California this time of year). Cornering performance is similar to the Dissector, maybe slightly better.

Overall I'm happy with the Eliminator, found it at a LBS on sale for $59. A bit more confidence knowing that it would take a really nasty impact to puncture this thing!

View attachment 89296

Looks another really tough aggressive tyre. Good to know there is plenty of choice other than Maxxis and Schwalbe and at better prices too.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Top tip for improving the feel of anyones tyres: Fit WTB ThickSlick tyres, go for a ride in the mud; go home, refit original tyres and wallah great feeling accomplished 👍

I spent a number of years with wide slicks (I think they were 2.3") on my MTB because I had a 50/50 mix of pavement and dirt trails and I liked speed and distance more than ripping up the gnar. I found them to be very consistent and easy to manage in most conditions, I just had to treat them with respect. The worst were mud and wet leaves but, surprisingly, they did deep, dry sand noticeably better than a knobby. Not all slicks were created equal though - a grippy rubber compound became really important when there were no biting edges.

Clustertoad

May 13, 2021
Colorado
Super hard finding tires these days!

Has anyone tried the Vittoria e-Martello?
I would like to use the Maxxis Aggesai but they are not available at this time in the configuration I would like. Any other suggestions appreciated.

My ride is a '20 Specialized Turbo Levo. Conditions are dry, dusty to rocky hard pack

Clustertoad

May 13, 2021
Colorado
So it looks like this is the place to ask for tire advice. :)

The tires that came on my Turbo Levo Alloy aren't cutting it in the desert dry/loose conditions. I've washed out both ends several times and I'm still a noob so I'm not even going fast.

I'm considering the Maxxis DHR II for the rear and Assegai for the front. OR, should I just do Assegai on both ends? I don't care about fast (I'm 53; I'd rather just enjoy the ride than go super fast and break myself). Not sure what to do. I'm also going to switch to tubeless when I swap them, so I'll be picking up valve stems and sealant at the same time.

Thoughts?

Rob
Impossible to find in my recent experience in searching for the Assegai Maxx Grip DD version

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I Have tried and tested several tyres and combos now and it seems that Magic Mary and Big Betty is my final choice.
Super Trail Soft, with inserts. 29 2.4 front and 27.5 2.6 rear. Next front will be 2.6 though.

Good allround combo and rolling is not bad.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022

I would like to use the Maxxis Aggesai but they are not available at this time in the configuration I would like. Any other suggestions appreciated.

My ride is a '20 Specialized Turbo Levo. Conditions are dry, dusty to rocky hard pack

My bike (Marin Alpine Trail E2) was supposed to come with an Assegai front and High Roller rear but Marin also couldn't source them, so they specced it with what they told me were basically the same tyres. In fact all the reviews basically say Vee had more or less copied Maxxis.
I've got to say I've been really impressed so I'll suggest you look at The Vee tyre. Good prices too, cheaper than the Assegai. Attack front, Crown Gem rear - I'm running a mullet set up.

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Try to find Maxxis Dissector MaxTerra. They are super good on dry, dusty and fast conditions.

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
Looking for advice/ideas what tyres to get, just moved down to Spain.

So looking for dry summer tries for E hardtrail. (Rockrider EST900)
Mostly riding, rocky/ dry forest roads, sometimes single track (but nothing crazy) but there a quite a lot of normal road riding to get here and there.

was thinking: MAXXIS REKON 27,5x2,60 ( has to be available this or widder size)
Also some puncture protection would be nice, getting a loads of punctures from dry thorns .

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
I Have tried and tested several tyres and combos now and it seems that Magic Mary and Big Betty is my final choice.
Super Trail Soft, with inserts. 29 2.4 front and 27.5 2.6 rear. Next front will be 2.6 though.

Good allround combo and rolling is not bad.

What kind of inserts?

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
I hate tyres, in the 4 months I’ve had an ebike I’ve destroyed 3 tyres, on tubeless setup. All maxxis with all the stupid jargon on the side! So have gone for some Michelin wild enduro racing front and rear, to hopefully provide better protection. They feel way more substantial than the stupid maxxis tyres.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
I hate tyres, in the 4 months I’ve had an ebike I’ve destroyed 3 tyres, on tubeless setup. All maxxis with all the stupid jargon on the side! So have gone for some Michelin wild enduro racing front and rear, to hopefully provide better protection. They feel way more substantial than the stupid maxxis tyres.
I have a vee tyre combo - just as grippy as Maxxis, half the cost and seem really strong so far. Got a replacement set (front and back) brand new from Inspiral cycles...£72!!

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
Will these potentially help me with cuts/rips. I was running a minion dhr at about 30psi as I’m pretty heavy, and put a proper l shaped cut in it resulting in an explosion of sealant all over my
Bike. Will these inserts help reduce that problem.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Will these potentially help me with cuts/rips. I was running a minion dhr at about 30psi as I’m pretty heavy, and put a proper l shaped cut in it resulting in an explosion of sealant all over my
Bike. Will these inserts help reduce that problem.
I've been running a near new dhrII 27.5 x 2.8 max terra; it was given to me because it has a 1cm tear in it. I patched it inside and have been running it for 3 months. It doesn't have to seal air, but I wanted to give some support to the tear. The dhrII I had before this also had a similar hole, which is why I made the move to tannus - it simply doesn't matter. I ride in a sharp rocky dry area so it tends to happen like that - being steep just adds to the force between tire and rock. I can't comment on other inserts.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Don’t know much about the Kryptonals though and there’s not a lot of info online except the usual MBR reviews and the YouTube Conti sponsored riders’ channels. Don’t know anyone local that’s tried them yet either
go with something that is a known tubby. Let others experiment new model of anything; I'm not wealthy and don't like unnecessary drama / trouble, so that's what I do.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
go with something that is a known tubby. Let others experiment new model of anything; I'm not wealthy and don't like unnecessary drama / trouble, so that's what I do.

Starting to get more positive feedback on the new Conti’s, think I’ll be going Argotal up front, Kryptonal on rear, when my custom wheelsets that are on order finally arrive

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Starting to get more positive feedback on the new Conti’s, think I’ll be going Argotal up front, Kryptonal on rear, when my custom wheelsets that are on order finally arrive
I always liked their tires before I moved to emtb - rubber queen :ROFLMAO: and mountain king. They changed the name of rubber queen :ROFLMAO:. They were pretty good high volume tires, which is what I always go for.

E-Bandit

Sep 1, 2020
Australia
Hi Guys, I have changed to eddy current rear tyre with cushcore and has been perfect, other maxis tyres wasn't unto it even with cushcore. Now I just got a eddy current front and wondering if I should keep the cushcore in there or remove? cheers

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hi Guys, I have changed to eddy current rear tyre with cushcore and has been perfect, other maxis tyres wasn't unto it even with cushcore. Now I just got a eddy current front and wondering if I should keep the cushcore in there or remove? cheers
They are heavy tires - I wouldn't think you'd need any inserts with those. You've paid for all that weight without cushcores.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I always liked their tires before I moved to emtb - rubber queen :ROFLMAO: and mountain king. They changed the name of rubber queen :ROFLMAO:. They were pretty good high volume tires, which is what I always go for.
I was told that the Americans didn't like the name "Rubber Queen" for some reason.
I was at one of the bike shows at the NEC a few years ago and the Continental stand had an interesting feature. It comprised a startlingly attractive and pneumatic young lady, dressed in a tight-fitting yellow latex suit, only her head, neck and hands were showing. The Conti logo was on there somewhere, but she had "Rubber Queen" emblazoned across her ample chest. Well, you had to look just to see what was written there! :ROFLMAO:
She was very popular.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles