What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Will these potentially help me with cuts/rips. I was running a minion dhr at about 30psi as I’m pretty heavy, and put a proper l shaped cut in it resulting in an explosion of sealant all over my
Bike. Will these inserts help reduce that problem.
Not using Maxxis will help. Get tyres that have sidewalls made for mountain biking. Maxxis uses paper apparently.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Get tyres that have sidewalls made for mountain biking
not doubting any of this; both tires I have had cuts in are in the tread, not the sidewalls. I've never had a sidewall fail for any tire. I do believe that lighter sidewalls, without any inserts, do need more pressure than those tires with heavier sidewalls. If I didn't use a tannus I'd definitely run a heavier sidewall on the rear for better damping and rim protection.

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
Not using Maxxis will help. Get tyres that have sidewalls made for mountain biking. Maxxis uses paper apparently.
So true, never had sooooo many rips/tears. The Michelins I’ve got weigh a ton but so far are bloody strong and extremely tacky (annoyingly so as everything sticks and hits the front mudguard) and the grip is awesome.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I always liked their tires before I moved to emtb - rubber queen :ROFLMAO: and mountain king. They changed the name of rubber queen :ROFLMAO:. They were pretty good high volume tires, which is what I always go for.
I loved the Rubber queens! Now they are trail kings? Yet I hear a lot of issues with their robustness now.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I've been running a near new dhrII 27.5 x 2.8 max terra; it was given to me because it has a 1cm tear in it. I patched it inside and have been running it for 3 months. It doesn't have to seal air, but I wanted to give some support to the tear. The dhrII I had before this also had a similar hole, which is why I made the move to tannus - it simply doesn't matter. I ride in a sharp rocky dry area so it tends to happen like that - being steep just adds to the force between tire and rock. I can't comment on other inserts.
How did you patch the tyre? Superglue?

I have a similar rip in my Maxxis Dissector. Ordered a replacement, but would like to try and at least fix it before throwing it in the bin. It still has some life in it.

I'm talking about running tubules. Cheers!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
How did you patch the tyre? Superglue?

I have a similar rip in my Maxxis Dissector. Ordered a replacement, but would like to try and at least fix it before throwing it in the bin. It still has some life in it.

I'm talking about running tubules. Cheers!
super glue would never work - it dries hard. If you have a tear like that I don't know what would work. The tears in mine did not have to be airtight - they also had the tannus liner pressed against the patch under pressure. You might have to buy a patch that is made for repairing tires (not tubes). They do exist - a smaller version of what they patch tubeless car tires with I imagine. I chose to run a tube and tannus with mine when it tore.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
super glue would never work - it dries hard. If you have a tear like that I don't know what would work. The tears in mine did not have to be airtight - they also had the tannus liner pressed against the patch under pressure. You might have to buy a patch that is made for repairing tires (not tubes). They do exist - a smaller version of what they patch tubeless car tires with I imagine. I chose to run a tube and tannus with mine when it tore.

This. Had a fat bike and a huge hole in the front tyre (tubeless). Went to a little tyre repair garage locally and he sold me a few patches they use on car tyres for a couple of quid. Cleaned the interior surface around the hole, whacked it on, back on the bike and a few ounces of Stans in there, was still running that tyre a year later when I sold the bike 👍

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I used to think a DHR II EXO+ with Cushcore would be sufficient for an enduro rear tire until I tore a 10mm slice into the tread cruising down a hard packed trail with a little lose shale. I ordered a DHR DD and a DH for riding Bike Parks. I would like to try a Michelin but we cant get them around here.

AJB

Jul 12, 2022
Manchester
DHR II's on mine are looking ready for a change - but seems more chance of winning the lottery than finding a set of DH casings. Ran with and without cushcore and prefer the way they behave without, no issues to report as yet!

HurtLocker

Jun 30, 2022
Australia
I hate tyres, in the 4 months I’ve had an ebike I’ve destroyed 3 tyres, on tubeless setup. All maxxis with all the stupid jargon on the side! So have gone for some Michelin wild enduro racing front and rear, to hopefully provide better protection. They feel way more substantial than the stupid maxxis tyres.
Really depends on the model. Let me know how you go. Would be interested. Always ram the DHR/DHF but the new ebike cam with the Assyrian… ones. See how they go.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
So what would you guys recommend to replace big Apple on a trike? I like the comfortable ride.
( I don't do proper gnarly stuff, gravel and grass when I can avoid the tractor ruts, and about half the time minor roads)
What I don't like is pulling out the little spiky things that hide in the grass and watching the green stuff come out of the tube. Then pumping them up again...
Two times 20inch, and one 26 inch. I don't want to go tubeless right now, but I would like something with a bit more protection.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
What about tannus tire armour? They have them for 26" and 20". With these you can then use whatever tires you like and not just those with some integrated protection. I can also recommend maxxis holy rollers - we use them on folding travel bikes for light off road. They're easy rolling and reasonable grip off road. They are also pretty high volume - something I like. You don't use sealant with the tannus liners.

holyroller_tread.jpg

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
What about tannus tire armour? They have them for 26" and 20". With these you can then use whatever tires you like and not just those with some integrated protection. I can also recommend maxxis holy rollers - we use them on folding travel bikes for light off road. They're easy rolling and reasonable grip off road. They are also pretty high volume - something I like. You don't use sealant with the tannus liners.

View attachment 93179

Do they add much weight? I know on an full fat eeb it's not so critical, but I'm always wary of adding too much to the wheels if it's going to effect rolling resistance.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Just looking at their site: 190gms for 20" and 260gms for 26". I only use one in the rear. You use a smaller tube because there is less space. I went with a thinner walled (still rubber) maxxis light weight tube; they were cheap and I'm on 3000km plus with no issues. It was a suggestion with the op's situation in mind - lots of thorns of some sort, losing sealant, and having to add air. She'll still need to add some air - tubes do lose a bit over time and then there is the effect of temperature. Personally I always check tires before a ride regardless of tube or tubeless or insert; I nearly always add or lose a pound or two. With these inserts it also opens up the tire choice for Barbara - you don't need tires with an integrated belt of puncture protection, which apparently aren't effective at stopping those thorns anyway.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am running a Conti Xynotal 29X2.4 in trail up front on my Rise & Bontrager XR4 with insert on rear for fast summer tyres ran them at BPW couple weeks ago no issues, they are fast rolling & no tears etc yet 👍🏼 Am 90kg kitted up

Starting to get more positive feedback on the new Conti’s, think I’ll be going Argotal up front, Kryptonal on rear, when my custom wheelsets that are on order finally arrive

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi, ripped my Michelin E-wild 27.5 x 2.8 at the bead during some jumping. Looking for a replacement, but Michelin tires are impossible to find a.t.m.. Seems they have production issues or something.....Looking for 27.5 x 2.8 as I really like the feel of forever grip on these. I'm also quite heavy 112kg kitted up. Any advice on rear tire brand I also should be out looking for?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hi, ripped my Michelin E-wild 27.5 x 2.8 at the bead during some jumping. Looking for a replacement, but Michelin tires are impossible to find a.t.m.. Seems they have production issues or something.....Looking for 27.5 x 2.8 as I really like the feel of forever grip on these. I'm also quite heavy 112kg kitted up. Any advice on rear tire brand I also should be out looking for?
DHRII? I think the problem you'll find with higher volume tires like that is that they have lighter sides to try and keep the weight down. After saying that, what about the Schwalbe Eddy Current? I don't think they try to keep the weight down on it :)

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Yeah might try the Eddy Current. Also found a Vittoria Martello that could work although the knobs seem a bit small.
Update: found a pair of DHR2 EXO+ tires I still had laying around. Almost perfect condition. Saves me 70 euro's or so.

Last edited:

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
here I leave you my last test of the continental KRYPTOTAL, some excellent tires to take into account for enduro, my new tires, and totally advisable, excellent in any terrain and circumstance

Zachy

Oct 15, 2018
I've been running Michelin Wild Enduro tires, front & rear (with CushCore) for 4 seasons now & they're awesome! I have 2 bikes, a mullet and a 29r and they work equally well on both. I ride primarily in Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada mountains, so dry, rocky, loose, sandy and hardpack conditions with occasionally wet, loamy or snowy conditions.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I've been running Michelin Wild Enduro tires, front & rear (with CushCore) for 4 seasons now & they're awesome! I have 2 bikes, a mullet and a 29r and they work equally well on both. I ride primarily in Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada mountains, so dry, rocky, loose, sandy and hardpack conditions with occasionally wet, loamy or snowy conditions.

it sounds heavy with both michelin enduro tires and inserts.

don't the michelin enduro tires weigh 1459 g each?

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
I have on nobby nic 2.6 x 29. I like them but only do blue/red trails and xc style riding. Also maybe 50% Road too. They weigh 1115g each. Suggestions for something with less aggressive tread?

Jirkovo

Dec 8, 2018
Olomouc Moravia Czech republik
Mám na nobby nic 2,6 x 29. Líbí se mi, ale jezdím jen blue/red trails a xc stylem ježdění. Také možná 50 % Silnice. Každý váží 1115 g. Návrhy na něco s méně agresivním běhounem?
[/CITÁT]

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have on nobby nic 2.6 x 29. I like them but only do blue/red trails and xc style riding. Also maybe 50% Road too. They weigh 1115g each. Suggestions for something with less aggressive tread?
Try Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 (890g). But don't forget that you can go with narrower (and lighter) tyres without losing your street cred! How about the Maxxis High Roller II 29 x 2.4 (933g) It is a grippier tyre and more robust than the Rekon, but will have lower rolling resistance than what you have now.

Choose your compound carefully.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
New front tyre time - was seeking a WTB vigilante, then a Magic Mary, but none about in 29 x 2.6. So went for a Conti Argotal. Original fit on my Fulgur was a Michelin Wild AM2 on the front which I've never used before but over 700 miles thought it was pretty good in our 2022 super dry conditions. The Argotal sizes up a bit taller/wider & only just fits. Weighs the same - but grips & brakes much better. It's the endurance version, but can't say it's quick or draggy - you prob need to use it on a P bike to judge that.... I run the the lighter version at 14 - 15 psi it feels like it's a tougher side wall than the michy.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
New front tyre time - was seeking a WTB vigilante, then a Magic Mary, but none about in 29 x 2.6. So went for a Conti Argotal. Original fit on my Fulgur was a Michelin Wild AM2 on the front which I've never used before but over 700 miles thought it was pretty good in our 2022 super dry conditions. The Argotal sizes up a bit taller/wider & only just fits. Weighs the same - but grips & brakes much better. It's the endurance version, but can't say it's quick or draggy - you prob need to use it on a P bike to judge that.... I run the the lighter version at 14 - 15 psi it feels like it's a tougher side wall than the michy.
it looks like an awesome tire for the front. That krypotal re (rear) looks like a good match for it too.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Just fitted a Kryptotal Rear Enduro soft 29x2.6 as a front in place of the as shipped DHF Exo Max terra (or my spare front wheel fitted with MagicMary supertrail Soft) . Used a rear as there are no 2.6 29 Kryptotal fronts available . Had a run in the local woods on natural and red trails and it seems on par with the MM supertrail soft (same size) though its about 200g burlier and a visibly taller tyre . Massively better (for me) than the DHF front which just skids into understeer on most berms turns on the dry fast red trail sections when I was pushing on. The Conti's enduro casing seems on par with Schwalbe DH cases (MMs) for side wall stiffness construction.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles