What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Does anyone rate Maxxis in wet at all? I was going up a steep wet section in dry I blast up, there’s some roots but the second the minion touches the bike switches to anti grip mode and slips off! In dry I’ve been loving the minnions recently, I’ve some Mary’s but was hoping to get a bit more joy out of my lighter setup

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does anyone rate Maxxis in wet at all? I was going up a steep wet section in dry I blast up, there’s some roots but the second the minion touches the bike switches to anti grip mode and slips off! In dry I’ve been loving the minnions recently, I’ve some Mary’s but was hoping to get a bit more joy out of my lighter setup
That's a bit broad ??? Maxxis ?

Certainly sounds like you need a new bike though, I can send you €25 euro's now for that one in used condition if you promise to deliver it ?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I enjoyed a Rekon for rear 3c MaxTerra with the proper PSI i was supprised how well it climbed, even wet roots.
What model are you talking about?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
That's a bit broad ??? Maxxis ?

Certainly sounds like you need a new bike though, I can send you €25 euro's now for that one in used condition if you promise to deliver it ?
Was thinking of getting the Forestal Siryon, maybe the 64 HA or those pancreas tyres (or whatever there called) would work ?

tyres that don't grip on wet roots, i'm gobsmacked. ?

Mate, I’ve got more tyres than a rubber factory!!! I can safely say had I been using. My Big Betty super dh ultra grip it would have been over that shit root like it was made out of sawdust on a day In Dubai!

I enjoyed a Rekon for rear 3c MaxTerra with the proper PSI i was supprised how well it climbed, even wet roots.
What model are you talking about?

DHR 2 / 60tpi /exo +

I didn’t do anything to avoid it, usual up and over…..wasn’t happening on the rear, I mean I could work around it etc but was just doing it to test

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Mate, I’ve got more tyres than a rubber factory!!! I can safely say had I been using. My Big Betty super dh ultra grip it would have been over that shit root like it was made out of sawdust on a day In Dubai!

1631685570526.png

Firstly i'd be interested in if you are running both at the same pressure since contact area will be important.

I run assegai's front and rear and there is still going to be stuff i can't climb in the wet. Wet roots especially since the friction levels are near zero. This is why people will try to unweight over them rather than get sniped on the way down over them, never mind on the way up.

Picked up that magic mary/big betty combo for the bike parks next year so i've got no brand bias.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I've been running assegai front and rear all summer but since the slop started appearing I bought a big betty for the rear.
interesting tyre, breaks away without warning but is pretty predictable.
I was thinking about getting a magic mary for the front and shelving the assegai until summer again.
is it worth it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was thinking about getting a magic mary for the front and shelving the assegai until summer again.
is it worth it?
I've always been sceptical about the Mary. A tyre named after a female. I was expecting it to give me pleasure, make me happy, think everything was great and then , for seemingly no reason, leave me dumped and confused on the trail.

Fortunately, it's a "Magic" Mary, so only the first part seems to be true. So far anyway ....

Roll's far better than I was expecting too.

(sorry ladies).

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I've always been sceptical about the Mary. A tyre named after a female. I was expecting it to give me pleasure, make me happy, think everything was great and then , for seemingly no reason, leave me dumped and confused on the trail.

Fortunately, it's a "Magic" Mary, so only the first part seems to be true. So far anyway ....

Roll's far better than I was expecting too.

(sorry ladies).
is it like the big betty where it just suddenly loses grip?
the assegai is a brilliant tyre with loads of grip but its shit in the mud and I dont want to change it for a shorty

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
is it like the big betty where it just suddenly loses grip?
the assegai is a brilliant tyre with loads of grip but its shit in the mud and I dont want to change it for a shorty
I've not tried Betty. I think you'd have to be someone like bambam to even consider going down with big betty..

The Mary seems pretty good so far in the mud. The rear locks up if you're too handy on leaves over wet as you'd expect. The front so far I've only found predictable. I've lost the front once and gone down hard on very steep and wet roots when I was totally dumb and had decided there was no grip limit :) That was totally me though and I can't blame Mary that time.

I dunno.. I'm surprised so far.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
But also really like assegai f/r as well. I’d guess the MM is a better mud tire tho. Otherwise forsure the eddy currant.

Glad to hear you like the Assegai. I'm running DHR2/DHF right now, and they get shredded pretty quickly. My current set will probably last another two months, but I like to have parts on hand before they're needed. The Eddy Currents intrigue me, but the sizes I want aren't available. I'm strongly considering the Assegais, but was unsure about front and rear. I think I'll order a pair this week.
[/QUOTE]

I like my tires like I like my women:

Me, too. Black, rugged, firm, grippy, and wide.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have Assegais on my Enduro bike. Good in dry and dusty, crap in the wet. On my trail bike I use Michelin Wild Enduro. Fron tyre unbeatable in any conditions, rear tyre fine except for mud so just change the back in winter to a High Roller.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I’ve got a few of the MaxxGrip Shorty V2 in 29. Just put one on the front of the eeb for racing last weekend as it was wet & loose. Can confirm it grips very well. Will put another on the leg bike soon when the weather properly turns.

Matched to a DH casing DHR2 in MaxxTerra on the back, which is pretty much my year round option. I just swap out the front for an Assegai MaxxGrip DD for the summer months.

Always got on well with Mary’s back in the day, but in typical Schwalbe fashion they did a great job of shedding side knobs, so I gave up on them. I would consider a MM/Big Betty combo in the right compounds though if they are past that.

The Michelin Wilds were generally shyte at most things.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I’ve got a few of the MaxxGrip Shorty V2 in 29. Just put one on the front of the eeb for racing last weekend as it was wet & loose. Can confirm it grips very well. Will put another on the leg bike soon when the weather properly turns.

Matched to a DH casing DHR2 in MaxxTerra on the back, which is pretty much my year round option. I just swap out the front for an Assegai MaxxGrip DD for the summer months.

Always got on well with Mary’s back in the day, but in typical Schwalbe fashion they did a great job of shedding side knobs, so I gave up on them. I would consider a MM/Big Betty combo in the right compounds though if they are past that.

Sounds like perfect tyre combo to me. I'm currently on max grip DHR on front n rear but want a shorty for the front over the winter months. assegai for next year once the front dhr wears down.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Where you get the V2’s from?

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany

The normal wild or e-wild? Have the e-Wild and don’t know if I keep em. The seem to have a little margin for error. Feel like about to loose control in the corners, but somehow they keep the traction. Weird feeling 🤷‍♂️

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The normal wild or e-wild? Have the e-Wild and don’t know if I keep em. The seem to have a little margin for error. Feel like about to loose control in the corners, but somehow they keep the traction. Weird feeling 🤷‍♂️
not me you asked I know..............but I use the Wild Enduro at 2.4 not the E Wild. In fact I dont like 2.6 tyres in general...they always seem more vague to me especially on the front.
Experience of tyres obviously varies depending on the typical terrain you ride. I ride forest trails mostly and ground conditions are sandy/loamy with the usual addition of leaves and pine needles and lots of roots. I run them at 19f/21r tubeless in dry or wet conditions. On more stoney ground (e.g. trail centres) I add a couple of psi front and back. Thankfully around here I dont have to deal with clay/heavy mud regardless of the weather.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles